Sherwood R-972, opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherwood R-972, opinions please.

I've been eying one of these as a replacement for my aging main HT setup. For reference, the current AVR is a Denon 3803, which still works and sounds great. Our monitor is a 57" Hitachi RP CRT, which supports DVI, in fact I think it was perhaps the few year(s) DVI inputs appeared on TV's before being squashed by HDMI support.

Currently HDMI support isn't a problem, but soon I would love to have better room correction, as my speaker placements are not exactly ideal. The AVR would be utilized for movies, and music, so sync issues with channel surfing I've been reading don't seem to be a reason for concern for me. I would appreciate anyone who has experienced one of these units comments.
    Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

tthurman, check out tesseract's thread, he owns this receiver. I believe there's also a thread on HTS about this the Sherwood as well.
    Trinnov Room EQ AVR.

Comment

Strange, I've done a ton of goggling, and never came across that thread here. I need to get out of the Happy Hour section more often :).

Anyway, that thread abruptly ends, Tess never comes back to it after running the Trinnov, the thread just sort of fizzled. I have however read numerous other threads, many of which Tess was quite active in. For some reason I seem to recall he may have sent his back, but I could very well be incorrect.

Regardless, @ $499.99 during the Cyber Monday sale, I bit the bullet last night and ordered one. When I checked there are only 36 left, now 34, and once these are gone I believe that's all folks!

Comment

Stereo speaker reviews and lots of overtime have been holding me up. I still haven't set up a full 5.1 surround as of yet, which is a requirement for Trinnov. I am enjoying the Sherwood in 4.1 right now, with the good 'ole WAF-1 in front and a pair of X-Omni in surround and dual VS-18.1 subs.

I have two SHO-10's, three PRO-10's and a Delta 10a woofer to convert one PRO to SHO for center channel duty. I hope to be setting those up and running Trinnov this holiday vacation when I have 12 days off.

Comment

Seriously, at $500, I think you will be more than satisfied. The only time I have experienced any trouble is when my Sony Blu-ray player outputs low rez Netflix to the Sherwood, the R972 drops the signal.

I need to get with Sony tech support (again) to figure this out.

Comment

Here's the Sherwood 972 thread on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179978/sh...72-user-thread

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
              Seriously, at $500, I think you will be more than satisfied. The only time I have experienced any trouble is when my Sony Blu-ray player outputs low rez Netflix to the Sherwood, the R972 drops the signal.

I need to get with Sony tech support (again) to figure this out.

Agreed!

I completely understand about the "no time" factor too. I started reworking my office/man cave setup last year about this time, and that's right around the time I ruptured my groin, and I still can't walk normal. Lifting is just asking for it, so needless to say moving things like TV's and stereo racks has been put on the back burner. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a 972 sitting here untested due to this, but with outside work being limited for me, I should be able to get these going during the next month or so. I just couldn't resist getting one for downstairs after seeing all the raving about the Trinnov, especially seeing how nobody seems to be producing anything like in, at least in the near future.

Comment

Working...
              X