Another Unique ProVia Entry Door System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Unique ProVia Entry Door System

This one wasn't so difficult for what we needed on the size of the door, but rather how to deal with what was on the exterior around the door.

First, the siding was butted TO the exterior of the door trim, rather than going under the trim as is the norm. Second, the trim around the door wasn't actually brickmold, it was flat 2 x 6 stock on the side jambs and 2 x 10 stock over the head jamb.

The side jambs had plinth blocks top and bottom with half round molding between them giving the entry system a fluted effect.

Now, there was no way to replicate that. And, with the wide trim around the door needing to go back up (6" on the sides, 10" on top), wrapping it flat with matching coil stock just wasn't a good option in my mind. It might look fine for a while, but as the metal expanded and contracted over time, it would have taken on a life of its own and been wavy.

So, I had ProVia build me a 3" wide brickmold to go around the OUTSIDE of the opening (on top of the 6" and 10" trim) and form matching cladding for that brickmold. This gave the opening a stacked effect around the perimeter which I think looks really nice and a decent alternative to the plinth blocks and half round molding fluted effect.

Here, we have set the new door and re-installed the original 2 x 6 and 2 x 10 trim around the door. It ended up being quarter sawn White Oak BTW.... and it was straight as an arrow.

You can see where we notched it around the new door threshold. And you can also see where we had to do a larger buildup under the threshold (and pre wrapped it in the matching exterior coil stock). The original build or ledger under the threshold was about 1-1/2". But we needed another 1/2" in height to allow the door to sit correctly with the new hardwood floor on the inside.

Here you can see where we've installed the exterior jamb cladding from the factory, formed and installed the matching cladding for the 2 x 6 flat stock and installed the new 3" perimeter brickmold, but haven't attached the cladding yet. Scroll between this next picture and the one above, and you can see where the 3" brickmold buts right up next to the bottom door threshold. It hits the outside of the 2 x 6 trim perfectly. God.... I LOVE it when a plan comes together.

In the previous pic, you can also see where we are starting to build out the center mulls. We're doing this because with the handle set they chose for the entry door, the storm door handle, would have interfered with the door and not closed properly.

Finishing the build out and final cladding....

Ok.... the before again....

And finished....

Notice the nice tight bottom seal on the storm door. The ONLY way that was possible after building out the center mulls, was because I had the door threshold extended out another 3/4 of an inch to account for this. Otherwise, the bottom storm door sweep would have been past the threshold and not sealed properly at the bottom.

Yes.... the Quadman is good.... VERY good in fact. :peeping:

Especially with the help of a wonderful manufacturer like ProVia. :woo:
    John W.
    Indy

One final pic showing the top 10" flat jamb wrapped by us, with the added 3" brick mold on the perimeter and wrapped in the pre formed cladding from the factory.

John W.
    Indy

Comment

I should probably point out that when I said there was no way to replicate the plinth block and round molding trim, I meant it to say there was no way to replicate it with a maintenance free cladding on the exterior. Obviously, we could have just put the blocks and molding back, but they wanted a totally maintenance free exterior on the door. :yes:
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

Very nice work! Just happens I am in need of doing almost exactly what you have done with this home. Too bad you aren't in Texas! Not having any fun trying to find somone I trust to do the work at a respectable price around here.
        Current primary system

Processor Anthem D2V

Amps McIntosh MC352 (2) bridged
        Parasound Halo A51 / Carvin DCM1000 (2) bridged
        Suntron MQ600(2)

Speakers Legacy Audio FOCUS SE /
        Silverscreen HD / Studio's (4)
        Chase CS/SS 18.2 (4) buttkickers (2)

Video Runco RS1100 Projector
        Stewart Studiotek 130 125" screen

Source Meridian / Sooloos Music Server
        Oppo 93

Comment

John - I never get tired of your pics and posts!
          great stuff - thanks!

m

PS> maybe you should invent a proper way to clad wrap those
          1/2 round mouldings....vacuum wrap! lol

Comment

Originally posted by fanuminski
            John - I never get tired of your pics and posts!
            great stuff - thanks!

m

PS> maybe you should invent a proper way to clad wrap those
            1/2 round mouldings....vacuum wrap! lol
            Thanks!
            John W.
            Indy

Comment

Working...
            X