Another high end custom entry door install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another high end custom entry door install

This was another REALLY nice high six figure home in a community that's on the water. It had a standard 3/0 x 6/8 entry door with two 14" sidelites..... A very common size. What wasn't common, was it had a 27" rectangular transom above the door, with a HUGE palladium window over the top of that. Now, I TOTALLY get having all that light coming into a two plus story entry foyer. But a 27" tall transom.... really? C'mon....

So, once again, the Quadman was called to the rescue with custom sizing necessary on this entry door system. Two other issues were in play as well. One, the Mrs, absolutely wanted decorative glass in the door, the transom and the sidelites. A clear transom (like was there) was out of the question. So, we're talking custom making decorative glass for a 27" x whatever the width was. Most of this decorative glass is hand made in Mexico for ODL (the glass supplier) Not to mention the cost for the glass in the door and sidelites.

The second problem, was the EIFS (stucco) exterior was applied after the doors and windows were installed, which was correct. However, on the front door.... it was applied over the top of the edge of the door's brickmold. Not, butted up to with an 1/8" gap and caulked to the brickmold. So, we literally had to cut BEHIND the EFIS without cracking it and VERY carefully remove the brickmold piece by piece before taking the door out. It was a REAL PITA and time consuming let me tell you. We had to get that brickmold out without tearing hell out of the stucco.

So, getting back to problem number one.... That huge transom with decorative glass. The Mr pulls me aside before we signed the contract and said.... "Is there ANYTHING you can do to help me on the price? I'll pay what I have to pay to please the Mrs, but GEEZ, this is gonna cost me a fortune (and he was right)" I said, let me work on it over the weekend and see what I can come up with. If anyone can do it, with ProVia.... I can.

He was going with a ProVia SIGNET fiberglass entry door system. Which really allows me to customize to my hearts content. They are very expensive but hand made one at a time which allows me some flexibility. So keeping in mind that I needed a 107" tall entry door system, I changed the 6/8 door (80") to a 7/0 door (84"). I then did a 3/4" horizontal mull build between the door and the transom to get me down to a 22" transom. This gave me a 106 3/4" door height which would have been absolutely PERFECT except for issue #3 which I'll describe in a bit.

I don't know why, but ODL doesn't price their transom glass by the united inch or square foot - which you would think they would. They price it by height and width brackets. IOW.... up to so many inches wide and tall it's this price. Go over that by a 1/64 of an inch in either direction and you go into the next "up to" bracket. Getting down to 22" tall on the transom took me down two bracket sizes and took his price from well over 5 figures, to just under 5 figures for the entry door system. Obviously, he was ecstatic and ordered the door. Even with the 10 week lead time for the transom glass.

Back to problem #3.... We FINALLY get the old door out. But all of us missed the fact that the brick ledger (the bricks laying on their side under the door threshold) did NOT go under the door threshold like they should have, but rather butted up TO the old door threshold. And of course, they weren't all the same height. They were as much as 3/8" high on the right and left of the opening which you can clearly see....

We always order replacement doors deeper than original entry doors by about 1/4" so they sit farther out than the old door. This gives us clean brick (or in this case stucco) to caulk to. We don't have the old, generally nasty, caulk lines to deal with that way. Not very many think about that until it's time to caulk the new door in and the old gross caulk line is there. Our guys are so good with a caulk gun, you would see the remnants of the old caulk line if we didn't do this. But because of the brick ledger problem, we couldn't get the new door "tipped" into the opening. We actually had to cut about 1/4" out of the header to allow us to tip it in place. But get it in we did.... We're just starting to cut the interior trim casing and mull covers on the inside (prefinished at the factory). The outside cladding will come next....

John W.
    Indy

Ok, one of the GREAT things about ProVia entry door systems, is they custom bend vinyl clad aluminum coil stock at the factory to cover the exterior jambs and brickmold. They also will add lattice to the brickmold or shave it down before applying it to the door and bending the cladding. This allows me to pre specify EXACTLY what my brickmold measurements are so that when we go to caulk everything in, we've got right at 1/8" gap between the wrapped brickmold and the brick, siding channel or stucco. No other door companies that I'm aware of (and that includes Pella, Andersen, ThermaTru, Jeldwen, Stanley, Masonite, Milliken) allows me to do this. They would ROFLTAO if I even asked.

So, take a look and see where we had the side BM shaved down a bit and then the top you can see is shaved down even more.... But, look at the fit (DAMN we're good ;-)). That was ordered from the factory cut to those sizes. NOT cut down in the field.

And you can see here, the pre-bent brickmold cladding. The one on the left is for one of the side brickmolds and the other is for the top. You can see the one on the right is narrower than the one on the left. Bent to precisely fit the custom sized BM we specified....

We always have it shipped loose and cut it to length and install it AFTER the door is installed. It's a little more work having to precisely cut it to length, but it doesn't get nicked or marred up during the install....

John W.
    Indy

Comment

Did I mention nice tight caulk lines at the brickmold???

The Quadman ALWAYS supplies a brand new door bell (if they have one) color matched to the door hardware. In this case oil rubbed bronze....

Finished on the inside (not a great picture, the sun was streaming in - sorry)....

And, the new casing and shoe mold tied into the existing base at the floor....

We did end up cracking the stucco just a bit in a couple of places getting the BM out. But an EFIS guy did the repair for me and you can't tell at all. It took him and hour and charged me $150 which I GLADLY paid. They were having the house re-painted right after we were done, so it all worked out well in the end.

Speaking of the end.... remember where we started?

This is where we finished....

Pretty nice yes???

Notice the taller door and shorter transom. Also, there is NO WAY you can tell that the horizontal mull between the door and transom is 3/4" taller than normal. At least I don't think so. But adding 4" to the door height and that little 3/4" build, saved this homeowner nearly $3K in custom glass charges. So, by me thinking outside the box a bit and having a GREAT company like ProVia to work with.... I not only saved this homeowner some coin that he would have gladly paid to please his wife, we created an entry door system that is simply STUNNING IMHO.
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

Quadman - Cool stuff! Hopefully his wife showed the appropriate appreciation. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
          Quadman - Cool stuff! Hopefully his wife showed the appropriate appreciation. :angel:
          In the time they were waiting on the door (they had JUST purchased the house mind you), they were off to somewhere in the Caribbean for two weeks and the week before we installed, they were in Vail skiing. So, since she doesn't work, I'm "assuming" she does indeed take GOOD care of him. :cool:
          John W.
          Indy

Comment

stunning entry door.....:)

Really enjoyed your pics and descriptive narrative!

Sort of reminds me though of watching the PBS show "This Old House"
            where they are always working/remodeling homes outside
            of my economic means - lol

Thanks for sharing - good stuff!

M

Comment

Originally posted by fanuminski
              stunning entry door.....:)

Really enjoyed your pics and descriptive narrative!

Sort of reminds me though of watching the PBS show "This Old House"
              where they are always working/remodeling homes outside
              of my economic means - lol

Thanks for sharing - good stuff!

M
              Thanks.... not all of our projects are this high end. But, we have started to carve a niche up in the high rent district with entry doors. We've gotten some GREAT reviews on Angie's List and we advertise in the monthly AL mailer up in Carmel and Fishers.

But, we still do every day stuff too. :)
              John W.
              Indy

Comment

That's really nice work John.

A great color combination that would have worked well for my home too.

My wife was really hyper about having a real mahogany door, and I fought hard not to. Now that she realizes the finish just gets destroyed in months due to the extreme sun, and she is tired of me refinishing it every spring and fall, I think fiberglass is in our future as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                  That's really nice work John.

A great color combination that would have worked well for my home too.

My wife was really hyper about having a real mahogany door, and I fought hard not to. Now that she realizes the finish just gets destroyed in months due to the extreme sun, and she is tired of me refinishing it every spring and fall, I think fiberglass is in our future as well.
                  Whatever you do Jack.... seek out a ProVia professional. Talk with their local rep and have him recommend a competent dealer. One that fully knows and understands their systems and what can be done. Not everyone truly understands how flexible and customizable ProVia entry door systems are.

If you get a guy that's not familiar with them, he's going to go to the local ProVia distributor and order one just like he would any other brand. While you'll still get a superior door, you may not be getting all you could in terms of fit and finish, for very little more or the same money.

And by ALL means.... if going fiberglass, go with their SIGNET fiberglass entry door system. The SIGNET is crafted like no other fiberglass door available anywhere. It's available in Oak, Cherry, Mahogany and Douglas Fir skins and hand stained at the factory. They are simply STUNNING entry door systems.

http://www.completewindowanddoor.com...ass_doors.html
                  John W.
                  Indy

Comment

My problem John is I'm a true DIY'er except when the code won't let me touch it.

Working on the stairway and landing now before moving to a rotating shelf with a hidden area, then on to the kitchen.

For all the HVAC angst I went through all the installers just wanted to put in the units and be done with the project. I ended up redoing the second floor returns and a new kitchen outlet for the cold area by the sink, taking one of the two outlets that were in the small 12x12 bedroom below. Why they had two in that room made no sense with the exception the concrete half wall was never insulated :doh! 1:. Now insulated, one outlet is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                      My problem John is I'm a true DIY'er except when the code won't let me touch it.

Working on the stairway and landing now before moving to a rotating shelf with a hidden area, then on to the kitchen.

For all the HVAC angst I went through all the installers just wanted to put in the units and be done with the project. I ended up redoing the second floor returns and a new kitchen outlet for the cold area by the sink, taking one of the two outlets that were in the small 12x12 bedroom below. Why they had two in that room made no sense with the exception the concrete half wall was never insulated :doh! 1:. Now insulated, one outlet is fine.
                      I remember that now Jack. I forgot that when you look up the definition of DIY, it says.... "See Jack with TooManyToys." :bowing:

Glad you fixed that cold area in the kitchen. I know that bugged you for a long time.
                      John W.
                      Indy

Comment

Working...
                      X