Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom ProVia Signet Fiberglass Entry Door System

I really should introduce you guys to my company first. I have a little bit in a couple of other threads, but I'll do that next after "showing off" a bit with this install.

Every once in a while you run across a project that makes you proud you're in this business. That was the case on this entry door system. I absolutely LOVE getting the phone call that says; "You're probably not going to be able to help me"..... Or the ones so frustrated by other contractors and salesmen, they are about out of hope. That was the case with this project. They had already had several companies out to look at their project and were told absolutely WILD things that in some cases, simply weren't true.

But, we were able to help them, no problem. Partly due to one of the absolute BEST door manufacturers anywhere.... ProVia. They are an Amish owned and operated company located in Walnut Creek and Sugar Creek OH. They hand build entry door systems one door at a time, to MY specifications and measurements. The other of course, is my knowledge and expertise in knowing exactly what's needed to solve a problem and of course, some of the most talented installers this city has to offer. My guys are real craftsmen who care deeply about the job they do. You put all that together and my customers, simply can't lose.

With all that being said, here we go....

As you can see from the before pictures that follow in this first post, we were challenged to say the least. I really do think the builder, framer, trim carpenter or whoever was responsible for ordering this entry door, ordered an entry door system that was too big. Either that, or the framer built the rough opening too small.

These are true French doors and it looked like the doors had been shaved down at the T-Astrigal and then the whole thing shoe-horned into the brick opening.

Two companies wouldn't even quote the thing. Another, quoted it so high, I truly believe they really didn't want the job. For us, it really wasn't a problem since we only sell ProVia entry doors. They are a DREAM to work with. I can custom size anything I want, however I want it sized. An inch taller on the vertical build? - No problem. Skinny the width a half inch? - Consider it done.

Now, with ProVia's unquestioned quality and build flexibility, you pay dearly for them, but I charge accordingly and folks that want the best.... don't mind paying the price. Nearly $12K in this instance.

Here's what we had to work with....

The doors operated so poorly and were "scrunched" so much in the opening, you can see how they tore the hell out of the weather stripping....

Notice that the actual door frame is right up against the brick. Typically, the door frame is approximately 1/2 inch smaller than the rough framing for shimming purposes. This allows room to get the door (or window) level plumb and square in the opening. And then there is a trim piece called brickmold applied to the outside of the door frame to cover that gap. This door frame has ZERO brick mold or exterior trim because there isn't any room for any.

You can even see where they actually had to chip some bricks away to get the thing in the opening. This is on a $700K + home. TOTALLY inexcusable IMHO....

John W.
    Indy

It was a total bear to get that old door system out. But once there, we were able to set the new custom sized entry system right in place.... This is a ProVia Signet (their premium fiberglass line) entry door system. With ProVia, you can specify what skin you want on the door; Cherry, Mahogany, Oak or Douglas Fir. In this particular case, they chose Cherry.

I'll bet the guys spent over an hour tweaking, adjusting, checking alignment, tweaking some more....

All lined up level, plumb and square. Can you say "SHIM City?"

Next up, the SOLID Cherry (no veneer here, no siree), custom sized elliptical transom....

OMG Andy.... whatever you do.... don't let go!!!

Whew.... got it.
    John W.
    Indy

Comment

With ANY other door manufacturer, you are left to your own devices when it comes to interior trim. And I am unique in that my partner owns a molding and custom millwork business. So, moldings and custom millwork are at my finger tips. But why, when ProVia supplies custom stained to match, perfectly milled interior molding to fit the entry door systems you order from them?

In this case, solid Cherry 2-1/2" Colonial Casing and perfectly milled solid Cherry elliptical casing for the transom....

We removed a piece of flat plywood that was there before. They simply trimmed the casing square around the plywood rather than making or having radius casing made for the previous transom. Talk about a HACK job and just plain LAZY....

Finished interior....

And, notice the detail at the floor where we had to trim their existing base molding back a bit and resize the shoe molding....
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

Next up.... the exterior cladding. We always order our ProVia entry door systems with pre formed, vinyl clad aluminum coil stock. By having the factory pre form it, it fits perfectly. Which then protects the exterior of the door framing from any air or water exposure and makes it totally maintenance free as well.

In this particular case, they chose a dark bronze color. Notice the extra piece of trim? That is a custom made brickmold we fabricated jobsite to fit perfectly on the door system. We then bent the same coil stock on the job site to cover that custom brick mold....

On the radius transom, it's not metal, but is factory painted to match the coil stock. Pretty nice yes?
        John W.
        Indy

Comment

Ok.... remember where we started?

Finished....

Hopefully, the neighbors notice....

Oh yeah, one last one.... Our job site foreman lending a hand err.... a paw and barking out minor adjustments needed from the front porch stoop. It also shows the exterior again before the dark bronze cladding goes on....

John W.
          Indy

Comment

Quadman - That looks GREAT !! It is better than good to see you prospering and happy in your new career. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
              Quadman - That looks GREAT !! It is better than good to see you prospering and happy in your new career. Congratulations!
              Happy.... most definitely YES. As for prospering, well.... not quite yet, but I'm working on it.

I've wanted to have my own company for a long, LONG time. But, I was never able to find the right partner. I tried once shortly after my first hospital episode and the company I was working for went out of business. But the guy died (he drove home drunk one night and fell asleep in his car after closing the garage door, but not shutting the car off) and his family cashed the check I had given him (the very next day!) for my part of the start up capitol.

Even though we had a business plan, an accountant lined up with agreements signed and in place.... we were to meet with the attorney and banker in the next couple of days. I should have held my check, but I trusted the guy. And, had nothing happened to him, I'm sure everything would have been fine. But, it's been another story with his money grubbing family.

He was a partner in a couple of BMW dealerships with his brother in Chicago. He also owned several buildings in SoCal. Plus, he had his Army retirement as a command master sergeant, and then retirement from 20 years at the military's Finance Center at Ft. Harrison. The guy was loaded and his family were like sharks in a blood filled tank.

It wasn't a huge amount of money. But, it was all I had at the time. Especially after I had been nearly wiped out by the whole BIL fiasco of some years ago. I'll never see it again, I'm sure. But, it was a lesson learned I guess.

Thanks for the kind words though....
              John W.
              Indy

Comment

Oh yeah.... and BTW.... I've spoken with this homeowner on a couple of occasions since we did this project. Once was when we had -10 wind chills one day last winter. They were ecstatic that they couldn't even tell it. They said that before, their foyer would be FREEZING cold even before it got below zero outside.

Now, they can come down the steps in their jammies and barefoot and not feel a thing.

The last time I talked with them was last week when they called to ask me to come and give them a price to replace all of their windows. Do you know how many BIG windows are in this place???

A LOT!!!

The whole back side of the house is windows, over looking a woods area.
                John W.
                Indy

Comment

Windows and doors....oh boy!

We're starting to replace windows in our house as they are 20+ years old, and the seals are failing on the ones with the southern most exposure. I talked to several companies, and hope I made the right choice. I ended up cancelling my appointment with the renewal by Andersen, as there scheduling process seemed like strong arm sales right off the bat. Another local company I've used in the past also sold this type of replacements, but I needed these to match the existing ones as closely as possible, so they didn't look out of place. In the end I was recommend to a fellow that knew seemingly everything about windows and doors you could know. We with with Windsor Legend, they are set to be installed the first of next week. Keeping my fingers crossed I made the right choice! Out of all the research I did, somebody is *****ing about something with every manufacturer at some point.
                  Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

Comment

Nice work BTW! :applause:
                    Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

Comment

WOW! A major improvement. :applause:
                      Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
                        WOW! A major improvement. :applause:
                        Thanks Jack!

There is a lot more to come. Stay tuned.... :cool2: