A lot has happened....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot has happened....

Whooo-eee, where to begin.... (this is gonna be long, so grab a sandwich and a strong cocktail)

The last I "saw" most of you, the whole AV123 debacle was winding down. I won't dwell on that other than to say, I placed a lot of faith in MLS, he was always very kind to me. As most of you older posters know, I was a fixture on the AV123 forum and a "chef" at many of the GTG's. Contrary to what many believed, I never owned a single Rocket speaker.

MLS gifted me speakers several times for all the hard work I put in at the GTG's, but I never actually took any of them for myself. I gave two pairs of the X-SLS towers to a dear friend to start his HT, who then bought the center and sub from AV123, and any others I was supposed to receive, I never asked for.

We simply became friends through our interactions at the various GTG's and I tended to stand up for him on the forums. It was never because I was bribed with gear as many presumed, I just liked the guy. Little did I know, what was going on behind the curtains. It was such a tragedy what happened in the end.... for ALL involved.

Shortly before I stopped posting (about four years ago give or take), many of you will remember I was right smack dab in the middle of a big bathroom remodel here at the Casa. I ended up not knowing that I had a SEVERE case of pneumonia and nearly died. Well, I DID actually die in the back of the ambulance, but a cracked sternum and two broken ribs was evidence of some most excellent CPR that ended up saving my life.

About a month into my recovery at home, I went into work to pick up a check. I was told that it would be my last (thank you very much, being the first week of December), because the owner was shutting down the company.

Well, a couple of months later, I landed on my feet as the Showroom Manager at the recently opened Feldco Window branch. It was a GREAT gig. I worked M-F 9 AM to 5 PM and Saturday, 10 AM - 2 PM. Plus, ran any appointments that I set from folks that came into the showroom, during the evening and Saturday afternoon. I earned a nice salary, commission on anything I sold and had GREAT benefits, including most excellent health insurance. Which I truly needed. You see, not only did I have a terrible case of pneumonia, but they discovered that I had an enlarged heart due to unregulated high blood pressure (I hadn't been to a doctor in years) and I was diabetic. So, regular doctor visits and all the requisite blood work every three months, not to mention all the meds.... well, the health insurance was a Godsend.

Then with absolutely no warning at all, Feldco pulls the plug, shuts down the Indy branch and lets me go. So, I lose one of the most important things I needed to keep me healthy.... My insurance. I was able to keep going to the Doctor without it and keep up with all of the blood work every three months, because the Doctor gave me great pricing and there was a fairly low cost lab right near me. The meds were easy enough because most of them were the $4 generics from Walmart.

Plus, my partner and I had started Complete Window and Door www.completewindowanddoor.com shortly after Feldco pulled the plug, so I at least had an income. It wasn't much as you can imagine with a start up company from scratch, but it was fun. However, shortly after we got the company started, my wife's supervisor called her into his office and said.... "Indiana is an AT WILL employer and your services are no longer needed." No warnings, no write ups, no bad employee reviews, never late and never missed a single day of work, no nothing.... just good bye.

As any of you who have met the Mrs knows, she's an extreme introvert. Very intelligent, a great sense of humor, but unless you've really known her a while, you would never know it. IOW, about as diabolically opposite of me as you can get. As you would expect, despite a fairly impressive resume, excellent work history and experience out the wazoo.... the jobs for a 52 year old MLT (Medical Lab Technician) that didn't interview particularly well, were nearly non existent. She ended up being out of work for over seven months. We could no longer afford the blood work the Doctor wanted (at $350 - $400 bucks per pop). Our local low cost lab, had closed and I had to switch to one of the big national outfits that were pretty pricey. Anyway, without blood work, no more prescriptions from the doctor, so no more meds.

Well, you can imagine with the new company, working 12 hour days the Mrs out of work, no blood pressure meds or Metformin for my diabetes, all the stress, I died a second time in four years. Yup, I flat lined again as they were wheeling me into the emergency room. But after a shock or two and some adrenaline I was brought back. But it was another week in the intensive care unit and another three days on a ventilator.

Well, the Mrs finally got a job. It was in the lab of one of the nations best trauma centers and adult burn units - Wishard Hospital (soon to be located in a brand new hospital from the ground up and renamed Eskanazi for a huge donor for the new facility). She was actually hired as an MT (Medical Technologist) which they felt she qualified for not based on education, but her experience. So she was making a good deal more money, but unfortunately, she now works nights. One nice thing about working for a hospital, is you get GREAT health insurance. So once again, after the required waiting period, I now have health insurance again. The coverage isn't quite as good for family members, but it's a Godsend none the less.

So, if there is a sliver of good news on the health front, I won't need to even sniff Obamacare, my blood pressure this morning was 124/74 with a resting hear rate of 86 and my last A1C was a 6.9. Unfortunately, I'm smoking again after all the stress of what went on. Yeah, I KNOW I need to quit again, but damn that **** takes hold of you and won't let go. Plus, when I went of my meds when the Mrs lost her job, I put a lot of the weight back on that I had lost. But, fortunately, it's coming back off again since the blood sugars are now regulated and I'm doing a LOT better watching my carb, sugar and salt intake.

So, that's about where things are in general. This post was mostly health related, because that's been a huge issue for me over the last few years. Honest, there are tons of good things to bring you up to date on, but the health issues have been a big factor and really.... probably one of the reasons I lost interest in the forums.

So, whether you like it or not.... you've got the quadman back (at least a little bit). And, you're gonna be subjugated to some really cool picture threads of some of the nicest installs on windows and doors you'll see anywhere!
    John W.
    Indy

Sorry to hear about your health difficulties, John. Been having a few of those myself. Glad to hear things seem to be smoothing out for you.

Watch that "REALLY OLD' crap!!!!!!!!! :D
    Jack

Comment

Quadman - Good on you for fighting all this. Thanks for updating us, too.

A safety caution - don't look at the video in the bum bum thread TThurman posted. We want to take it easy on that heart. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
        Sorry to hear about your health difficulties, John. Been having a few of those myself. Glad to hear things seem to be smoothing out for you.

Watch that "REALLY OLD' crap!!!!!!!!! :D
        Well Jack.... It's TRUE. I turned 55 and joined AARP this year. So that means you've got to be ANCIENT! :cool:

Although, all of those "senior discounts" sure are nice aren't they? :applause:
        John W.
        Indy

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
          Quadman - Good on you for fighting all this. Thanks for updating us, too.

A safety caution - don't look at the video in the bum bum thread TThurman posted. We want to take it easy on that heart. :angel:
          Awe Craig.... it's not the looking I can't do any more, hell.... if I didn't have that, I'd be in REAL trouble! :peeping:
          John W.
          Indy

Comment

Welcome back John!

I to was fooled by MLS's charm. It is truly a shame how it went down and the darker side of MLS most of us never saw.

I understand your struggles with work and career. Been there, done that. Corporations, large and small, have no loyalty to employees any more. Another damn shame. After 12 years of bad companies and layoffs, I think I've found a good place. At least for now. Even they did a couple of bad management hires. Who proceeded to fire or drive off many good people.

However, my family and I have had good health. A blessing to be sure. My only health issue is elevated blood pressure. I saw a healthy, athletic friend of mine have a stroke because of his blood pressure. No more skiing, more cycling. He now walks with a cane. My BP is only 130s/high 70s, low 80s. I think I'm more concerned than my doctor. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks. We'll talk about it again. I definitely not overweight but I'll still trying to lose 10 - 20 lbs. Hopefully that will help with the BP. It's hard. Especially when you've been skinny until you hit middle age.

I never got one of those cookbooks either. Though I did drool reading the posts about your cooking.

Your remodeling photo essays where awesome.

Again, welcome back. Take your coat off and stay awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by paw
              Welcome back John!

I to was fooled by MLS's charm. It is truly a shame how it went down and the darker side of MLS most of us never saw.

I understand your struggles with work and career. Been there, done that. Corporations, large and small, have no loyalty to employees any more. Another damn shame. After 12 years of bad companies and layoffs, I think I've found a good place. At least for now. Even they did a couple of bad management hires. Who proceeded to fire or drive off many good people.

However, my family and I have had good health. A blessing to be sure. My only health issue is elevated blood pressure. I saw a healthy, athletic friend of mine have a stroke because of his blood pressure. No more skiing, more cycling. He now walks with a cane. My BP is only 130s/high 70s, low 80s. I think I'm more concerned than my doctor. I have my annual physical in a couple of weeks. We'll talk about it again. I definitely not overweight but I'll still trying to lose 10 - 20 lbs. Hopefully that will help with the BP. It's hard. Especially when you've been skinny until you hit middle age.

I never got one of those cookbooks either. Though I did drool reading the posts about your cooking.

Your remodeling photo essays where awesome.

Again, welcome back. Take your coat off and stay awhile.
              Thanks.... but my coat's been off for a while now. When you get old(er) like I am (not ANCIENT like Jack), I find myself sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt most of the time when at home.

Thanks for the kind words on the cooking threads and remodeling essays. We may have to resurrect the cooking thread here. Although, I cook a little different now than I used to. But, I still enjoy it. Good thing I do, because if it were up to the Mrs to feed us, it would be out of a box, can or into the microwave 24/7.
              John W.
              Indy

Comment

Good to see you posting again Quad.:applause::applause:
                engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by engtaz
                  Good to see you posting again Quad.:applause::applause:
                  Thanks.... I appreciate it. It feels good to be back. Unfortunately, I don't have a HT right now to share in all the speaker and sub talk. But, that's for another day and thread I suppose.

If nothing else, we'll get the post counts back up.

And who knows, maybe our old buddy Inspector CG will drop in and say hello. I wouldn't be surprised if he's followed me all over the web, watched every single post I've made on Contractor Talk, has willowed my address and knows my mortgage balance, Googled pictures of my wife out cutting the grass and probably knows how much we have in the business checking account on any given day. :D

But hey, ya gotta hand it to the guy. He's a top notch investigator. :salute:
                  John W.
                  Indy

Comment

John,
                    Great to see you back. Joined the AARP crowd myself this year. Liking the discounts as well.

Hope things are going more smoothly and looking forward to seeing more posts!

Jack is not that old. My mom made it to 92. :)

Oh yeah, that Tri-Tip was incredible at your place back in the day!
                    Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                      John,
                      Great to see you back. Joined the AARP crowd myself this year. Liking the discounts as well.

Hope things are going more smoothly and looking forward to seeing more posts!

Jack is not that old. My mom made it to 92. :)

Oh yeah, that Tri-Tip was incredible at your place back in the day!
                      Thanks Hal.... where did you have the Tri-Tip? I did those at the Orange County GTG, were you there? I remember the twin sauces I did for those. One, was an Asian style, spicy BBQ sauce and the other, was a sour cream horseradish sauce. :stove:

MMMMmmmm they WERE good indeed.
                      John W.
                      Indy

Comment

WOOOHOOOO! John is back!!!!!:woo::woo::woo:
                        It's good to see you again sir, you were thoroughly missed! I had wondered what had been happening with you over the last little while but holy smokes it sounds like you've been to hell and back, a few times!
                        Welcome back buddy, WELCOME BACK!

All the best .....Carlo.

Comment

Thank you Carlo!

Maybe not quite to hell, but close maybe.... :yes: What I didn't mention in the first post, was I was actually in the hospital a THIRD time for a short stint this last spring.

I had an episode where from what they tell me, they really don't know exactly what happened. The wife was gone to work and my youngest daughter had a friend over for a sleep over.

My oldest daughter had recorded a Pacers playoff game and we were watching it. I had been laying on the floor and everything seemed fine. At half time, she paused it and I went upstairs to use the bathroom. All of a sudden, my heart was racing and I was short of breath. No matter what I did, I just kept feeling more and more uncomfortable, getting more and more light headed and it was getting harder and harder to breathe.

We called 911 and when the Paramedics arrived, I guess I wasn't doing too well. I remember one of them telling me I was hyperventilating. I remember him saying over and over to try and calm down and breathe slower. I managed to get out, "easier said than done." He then said "hit him with a couple of shots of Nitro."

Well, I remember sticking out my tongue and lifting it and I remember the guy missing and spraying the side of my face and eye. I guess I sort of lost it a bit when he hit me in the eye with the Nitro and the Paramedic must of been a rookie, because I think he panicked. I could feel them prying my mouth open and my daughter said the "young guy" sprayed me four or five times under the tongue with the nitro.

Well, I went from a racing heart beat and elevated BP to literally almost no heart beat. The excess Nitro took me WAY too far the other way and lowered my heart rate and BP to a dangerously low level. I guess it also caused me to vomit as I was taking in a breathe which then got into my lungs. :eek: So they had to intubate me in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

So, ONCE AGAIN, I was on a ventilator for a couple of days while they cleaned up my lungs and made certain there was no infection. But, I came right back strong after they pulled the ventilator and was released the following day. My Doctor and Cardiologist still can't tell me what triggered my last "episode." There was no evidence of a heart attack, and no pneumonia.

They said it's rare, but it could have been psychosomatic in that when I originally became short of breathe, my body or subconscious panicked and my heart started racing automatically. Which, when that happens, it puts more pressure on your lungs, which reduced my oxygen intake, which caused my heart to race faster and my BP to rise.... despite the meds I was on. Kind of a perfect storm if you will.

He said, if the PM had just hit me with a single or two short shots of the Nitro, it would have very likely calmed everything down to the point where I could have been evaluated right there and determined that I was indeed OK. But, unfortunately, things didn't quite happen that way.

Sigh.... Oh well, at least everything worked out fine and no more damage was done.
                          John W.
                          Indy

Comment

It sounds like you have someone watching over you John. Or at least you carry a few rabbit's feet around with you! :)
                            Regardless though, it's great to hear that your okay and that we'll see you around here some!

Best....Carlo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat
                              It sounds like you have someone watching over you John. Or at least you carry a few rabbit's feet around with you! :)
                              Regardless though, it's great to hear that your okay and that we'll see you around here some!

Best....Carlo.
                              I dunno Carlo.... how lucky was that poor rabbit??? :nervous:
                              John W.
                              Indy

Comment

Working...
                              X