How pissed off should I be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How pissed off should I be?

I know lots of you buy and sell used gear. So here's my story, tell me if my feelings are justified.

I see a pair of speakers on AgoN last night/very early this AM and I email the seller at 1:15AM offering to purchase and agreeing to his terms and full asking price.

At 2AM he responds and says "You are first to respond, but I do have another full price offer. What's your zip code? How would you like to pay."

I responded at 7:30AM today with zip and ask that he give me final cost for PayPal. His agreement to sell was not contigent upon any time frame.

I get an email at 4PM saying "Sorry, I rec'd payment late last night for a local sale."

At no place in ad or in email did seller ever say "preference given to local sale". But, understanding it can be a PITA to ship speakers, if he had said "You were first, but I have a local sale option...sorry" I'd be cool with that. Or he could've simply said he had a local sale with no mention of whose offer was first. No harm, no foul. But to basically say "Speakers are yours", then to come back and basically say "Sorry, a more convenient deal came along" just rubs me the wrong way.

Now life is too short to be actually pissed off about not being able to buy some used speakers, but I guess I am going to leave some negative feedback on AgonN. Am I being a dick about it? I have no tolerance for misrepresentation of any kind when it comes to buying and selling of gear. It only works if everyone is upfront and fair, which I find to almost always be the case.
    As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Originally posted by droht
    I know lots of you buy and sell used gear. So here's my story, tell me if my feelings are justified.

I see a pair of speakers on AgoN last night/very early this AM and I email the seller at 1:15AM offering to purchase and agreeing to his terms and full asking price.

At 2AM he responds and says "You are first to respond, but I do have another full price offer. What's your zip code? How would you like to pay."

I responded at 7:30AM today with zip and ask that he give me final cost for PayPal. His agreement to sell was not contigent upon any time frame.

I get an email at 4PM saying "Sorry, I rec'd payment late last night for a local sale."

At no place in ad or in email did seller ever say "preference given to local sale". But, understanding it can be a PITA to ship speakers, if he had said "You were first, but I have a local sale option...sorry" I'd be cool with that. Or he could've simply said he had a local sale with no mention of whose offer was first. No harm, no foul. But to basically say "Speakers are yours", then to come back and basically say "Sorry, a more convenient deal came along" just rubs me the wrong way.

Now life is too short to be actually pissed off about not being able to buy some used speakers, but I guess I am going to leave some negative feedback on AgonN. Am I being a dick about it? I have no tolerance for misrepresentation of any kind when it comes to buying and selling of gear. It only works if everyone is upfront and fair, which I find to almost always be the case.
    Nope...unless he is specific in his requirments..then you have every right to be pissed..

Mac
    Ht #1
    Samsung PNA-58-650
    Integra 9.8 DTS (pre-pro) Emotiva XPA-2 XPA-5 amps
    Oppo 980 Toshiba XA-1 Panasonic BD-60 Direct TV HD-DVR
    Music Hall 7.1 TT Jolida 9a tubed phono stage
    Ninja Master Rocket 850's & NM Bigfoot/450's/ Infinity RS20012 sides/MFW-15 sub

HT#2
    Sony XBR-2
    Integra 7.8 DTR XPA-5 amp
    Oppo 980 Panasonic BD-30 Sony PS-3 80gig/ X-Box 360HD Direct TV H2O
    Needing help on new speakers & sub..

2 channel Shanling MC-3 Ninja Master PB ELT-LRS with external cross overs

Comment

I had a similar thing happen on the AV123 forum. While I was pretty PO'd initially and left the guy negative feedback (which I later removed), in reality, the gear was his to sell in whatever fashion he chose.

In BOTH cases (yours and mine), the ad wasn't necessarily mis-leading.... it just could have been written better with more information. A mistake for sure, but most likely not intentional.

So IMHO, just move on and don't get all worked up about it. The guy is most likely someone you would thoroughly enjoy talking to and sharing a beer with. I know that was the case with me in my situation when I finally met him. We BOTH apologized to each other and basically laughed about it after the fact.
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

Ah, just forget about this and move on...ain't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4AU
          Ditto
          Hugh
          MELODY US Distributor
          www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Ah, you'll find better speakers at a cheaper price anyway.

Comment

Best advice. When your out $2500 because the seller really didn't have the item, or it wasn't what he said it was (like I have), then you can be pissed. Otherwise it was a bad deal that you missed on.

Comment

Yeah, you guys are right. (Well, not you Mac ;)) It isn't like this guy offered to sell me his speakers, took my money, then made me wait two years and still wouldn't tell me when he was shipping them. :eek:

I suppose I'll just bust his balls on email a bit then move along.

edit: Jack beat me to the obvious comparison...
                As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Comment

Yeah, you guys are right. (Well, not you Mac ;)) It isn't like this guy offered to sell me his speakers, took my money, then made me wait two years and still wouldn't tell me when he was shipping them. :eek:

LOL.... I did just that and then when I found out that he was going to be at a g2g I was doing, I worried for a week prior to meeting him. The first thing he did when he got there was search me out and give me a famous AV123 bear hug. Which I had decided, was exactly the thing I was going to do to him.

So, all was well that ended well and we shared SEVERAL adult type beverages together throughout the day and ended up being fast friends.
                  John W.
                  Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky14
                    Ah, you'll find better speakers at a cheaper price anyway.
                    Exactly, just hop on over to Skeeter's House of Speakers, we've got everything you've ever dreamed of for a dollar! It's ... AMAZING!

Oh yeah, and don't be ticked. There's other speakers in the sea :D

Comment

Your mistaken grasshopper. Mine wasn't AV123. There were two guys on A'gon who screwed me. And both had very good A'gon and EBay ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                        Your mistaken grasshopper. Mine wasn't AV123. There were two guys on A'gon who screwed me. And both had very good A'gon and EBay ratings.
                        Sorry, I thought you were an LS-9 victim for some reason...

But that brings me back to my premise. Dropping some negative feedback isn't about revenge, it's about letting other folks know that this guy may not be solid to deal with. I know I would not deal with someone who had negative feedback on AgoN. He is likely a good guy and is not looking to screw anyone over, but who knows? This is what we call a moral dilemna, albeit a kind of itsy, bitsy one.

Comment

Agree with what some others have said..

Do you have a right to be upset? Sure you do..

Do you have a right to share your disappointment? Of course you do..

Did he "wrong" you? Debate-able..

Should you be mean to him about it? Absolutely NOT..

:)

cheers,
                          ..dane
                          (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
                          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
                          "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
                          d&k's webpage

Comment

Am I being a dick about it? I have no tolerance for misrepresentation of any kind when it comes to buying and selling of gear.
                            Originally posted by Mac 11700
                            Nope...unless he is specific in his requirments..then you have every right to be pissed..

Mac
                            Yeah, you guys are right. (Well, not you Mac ;))
                            Mac - You are GOOD ... even when you agree with the OP, you are STILL a dick ... :applause:

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
                              Mac - You are GOOD ... even when you agree with the OP, you are STILL a dick ... :applause:
                              Some folks just like to disagree with me Craig...even when they know I'm right...:fryingpan::poke::biglaugh:

Mac
                              Ht #1
                              Samsung PNA-58-650
                              Integra 9.8 DTS (pre-pro) Emotiva XPA-2 XPA-5 amps
                              Oppo 980 Toshiba XA-1 Panasonic BD-60 Direct TV HD-DVR
                              Music Hall 7.1 TT Jolida 9a tubed phono stage
                              Ninja Master Rocket 850's & NM Bigfoot/450's/ Infinity RS20012 sides/MFW-15 sub

HT#2
                              Sony XBR-2
                              Integra 7.8 DTR XPA-5 amp
                              Oppo 980 Panasonic BD-30 Sony PS-3 80gig/ X-Box 360HD Direct TV H2O
                              Needing help on new speakers & sub..

2 channel Shanling MC-3 Ninja Master PB ELT-LRS with external cross overs

Comment

Working...
                              X