New- 15" sub placement questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New- 15" sub placement questions

I wanted to submit this question to everyone or anyone who has more knowledge on subwoofer placement than me.
    First my room is 11ft (w) x 18ft (L) x 7ft 8" (H) in my basement with no windows and a concrete floor. I have 2 risers...1. front stage and
    2. riser for 2nd row of seats (4 of them). I currently have 2 cs 18.2 driven by a HQ-1300.... (Thanks Craig ---- These subs sound awesome driven by the HQ especially....)
    The bass that is put out by this setup can almost rip the room apart, but I never had any choices with placement options as the CS 18.2's size prohibit me from putting them anywhere but the front stage.
    The new 15" model was so impressive as Craigsubs house when I went down for a "mini" G2G that I got to thinking if I had the 15's instead of the 18.2's maybe I could put 2 on the front stage and 2 in the back..... or 3 in the front and 1 in the back for that "nearfield" effect. I did try this with a 12" sub and a singe 18.2 a while ago, but the 12 did not do anything for me and the 18 just overshadowed it by quite a bit...
    Mrs. Drock also likes the idea of smaller subs with similar output as well...

So, the question being ....Can I put 3 subs up front and 1 sub in the back or 2 and 2 ... (not sure if I have the room for a 2 and 2 as I am still taking measurements)...unless I can incorporate them into my riser for the back seating somehow...
    Not sure what that would do to the sound of the subs though.
    Having placement options definitely has my thinking...

All suggestions appreciated..

D rock

Hey, D,

I'm sure? you've heard tesseract mention a few times the Harman study on optimum sub placement. You can google it, I did and found the general statement (for a general room, which no one has);

One sub woofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms of
    Std, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support low
    frequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposing
    wall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at the
    midpoints and gives a much better LF factor. One
    subwoofer in each corner also has good low frequency
    support, but does not perform quite as well as one
    subwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-ave
    and Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered,
    subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred.
    Tess knows his stuff, and I would trust him for a sound solution! So, I think since mid wall points are generally difficult, the 4 corner approach should do the trick!

link to presentation

Comment

sbdman, Thanks for your input. I am strongly considering the 2 front back... as I can't figure out how to do 3 and 1.....With my present amp..

Comment

Now, if there was a 15" offering, I think I'd mimic you instantly.

Would be nice if they sent Craig the comparable 18" he asked for umpteen weeks ago so we could get the best performance possible for the price. Guess it's a case of promises and reality. :peeping:

Sometimes, I wonder if time has disappeared along with my savings? Craig's designs excite, anticipation sucks!

Comment

Sbdman,

There will be a 15" solution soon. I heard the "ported version" at his G2G recently and my wife and I were the only attendees. The single 15" sub sounded great. Now let me just say the the sub was located behind us instead of in front of the stage/screen area at Craig's house where the 18.2 were located. I heard some difference between the 2 offerings, but that 15" sub kicked some serious butt.... I don't have any measurements ..... just my ears....

I might have to put dual subs at the back of my theater but under the riser for the 2nd seats as even though the subs are smaller they would not fit in corners as I have a door to the laundry room on the left side of the theater.
          I could build the riser higher to accommodate the size of the subs cabinets but still be separate......???? hmmm....

More to ponder.....

Still open for suggestions....

D rock:salute:

Comment

D.rock, I forgot you had the HQ 1300, I bet that amp is just BRUTAL!

First, are you getting the most out of the subs you have now? Whereabouts in the front stage do you have the dual 18.2's located? I moved my front stage duals from the corners to about 1/4 the way in from the sides. This helped dig deeper while eliminating a 40 Hz peak I had going on. Worked well for HuskerOmaha and a few others, too.

You can also experiment with rotating the cab 90 degrees.

Sbdman, thanks for the props. :o Because there is more than one way to skin a cat, I compiled several different methods in one thread. Unbeknownst to me, one of our administrators made it into a sticky. Check this out to get some ideas for including more subs into your system. D.rock.

https://www.chasehometheater.com/for...ead.php?t=4521

Comment

Originally posted by D.rock
              So, the question being ....Can I put 3 subs up front and 1 sub in the back or 2 and 2 ... (not sure if I have the room for a 2 and 2 as I am still taking measurements)...unless I can incorporate them into my riser for the back seating somehow...
              Not sure what that would do to the sound of the subs though.
              Having placement options definitely has my thinking...

All suggestions appreciated..

D rock
              Three up front... one in each corner with one in the middle (can you put one in the middle?) should work pretty well. A fourth sub in the back somewhere for smoothing, sounds like a good idea. Kinda makes it difficult to EQ when running a two channel amp (assuming two subs per channel) if you are using Multi EQ XT32, or another bass management system that allows for more than just one channel of global processing.

I would first try all four corners, experimenting with reversing polarity on one or both rear subs.

Comment

Tesseract,

Thanks for your input. Placement of my dual 18.2's is already as you suggested. Originally I had them corner loaded, but the bass seems smoother with them in from each side. I don't have too much choice at the 18.2 take up my whole front stage (I only have 11 ft width) I also have the subs out from the front wall about 8" or so from the screen wall. I think I am set there....
                As for the HQ-1300... yeah it is a beast. I had to make a special jig to get it into my rack and Mrs. Drock and I could not hold it in place and put the rack bolts in it. It is that heavy....:D:D It is more than enough for my dual 18.2's I can only get it to just past half gain in my room...Man does it make them sound good though...:biglaugh::biglaugh:
                And the fan is really quiet to boot....:)

I will have to play around with placement when the 15"s are released .... I can't wait for everyone to hear them at the G2G this fall....You will be impressed.... I was.

I am not sure what I am going to if I try the 3 front 1 back scenario ... As each channel of the amp will power 2 subs... I might have to get 2 amps with each channel for a sub or something...

If I figure out 2 front and 2 back then I should have no issues...

Hmmmm..... More contemplating to do...:confused::confused::confused:

Comment

Working...
                X