Registry Cleaners.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Cleaners.....

Anyone have experience with them? Are they necessary and do what they are supposed to do? You read the ads and they are supposedly miracle workers. Yet, some folks I've talked to say don't mess with them.... they can cause more harm than good.

So, count me confused. :dizzy:
    John W.
    Indy

I have had good success with Ccleaner. It's a nifty little app

Comment

Originally posted by the7comeback7kid
      I have had good success with Ccleaner. It's a nifty little app
      Yep, CCleaner is a good all around cleanup tool, not just for the registry.
      Selah MF7 L/C/R | ELT525 Surrounds | Outlaw LFM-1C Sub | 42" plasma | Wii/Xbox360/PS3 | HK AVR-247

Comment

Many legitimate sources warn against using these apps - there is a huge potential for damage...

That said, I've used PC Optimizer Pro on two different machines - each a couple of years old - that had collected a lot of garbage in that time - it cleaned a ton of stuff from the registry with no ill effects at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wyliec2
          Many legitimate sources warn against using these apps - there is a huge potential for damage...

That said, I've used PC Optimizer Pro on two different machines - each a couple of years old - that had collected a lot of garbage in that time - it cleaned a ton of stuff from the registry with no ill effects at all.
          And, that right there is the (my) conundrum. To run or not to run.... THAT is the question. :scratchchin:
          John W.
          Indy

Comment

I used the registry cleaner in System Mechanic once and it screwed up my machine. I regularly use Winaso Registry Optimizer and it works well and is reputed safe. YMMV.

Comment

1st - get a full backup.

I've had success with CCleaner.

But System Mechanic hosed a pc on me a few years back, never touched it again.
              There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
              -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Most of those registry cleaners are junk or spyware. Use Ccleaner and run the the temp file cleaner portion and then run the registry cleaner portion make sure you say yes to backing up the registry when it asks.

Comment

CCleaner is good. The registry is a database and databases need maintenance. Unfortunately Microsoft completely ignored this common IT practice.

BTW - having the system running properly being based on a database which is susceptible to corruption was a totally f%^$ing stupid idea.

Comment

Thanks guys.... downloading Ccleaner right now. Since spyware was brought up, I have Adaware that I run about once a month. Does that one still seem to be decent or is there another that is the current favorite? I wouldn't really know a good one from a bad one I guess.... LOL.
                    John W.
                    Indy

Comment

John,

I had tried registry Mechanic and Blue something or other. I never felt they did anything worthwhile.

For protection, other then keeping updated thru Secunia (which I believe Shadow posted) I use Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spyware Blaster. I've used these for a long time ever since years ago I let a relatives son use my computer while they were visiting. Not sure where the boy in his teens went, but did I ever get stuff on this computer.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                        Not sure where the boy in his teens went, but did I ever get stuff on this computer.
                        :scratchchin: I could take a few guesses :yes:

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                          John,

I had tried registry Mechanic and Blue something or other. I never felt they did anything worthwhile.

For protection, other then keeping updated thru Secunia (which I believe Shadow posted) I use Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spyware Blaster. I've used these for a long time ever since years ago I let a relatives son use my computer while they were visiting. Not sure where the boy in his teens went, but did I ever get stuff on this computer.
                          Yeah, I saw where Registry Mechanic and Uni-Blue were pretty highly rated. Neither are "freeware" (not that I'm cheap mind you) and I wasn't sure the "value" of buying something like a registry cleaner. Although RM also appears to defrag and run clean disc as well, my on board AOL utilities do a good job of defraging and clean disc already. At least I "think" they do.... LOL. :dizzy: (I LOVE this dizzy emoticon.... it seem so damned appropriate for someone like me :yes:)

Wow.... FOUR different spyware cleaners? Do they all miss enough to warrent all four?

As for over-all protection and this computer running smoothly.... It has been a drag racer ever since I dumped Norton (Symantec) Internet Securities and installed Kaspersky Internet Securities. It used to take a full five minutes after reboot for the Norton to load up sometimes. Now with Kaspersky, it auto-updates every time you log on then like once an hour for about 30 seconds. It loads up almost instantly after a re-boot as well. I couldn't be happier.
                          John W.
                          Indy

Comment

John, after years of using first McAfee and then Norton, I run Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I agree with everything you say about Kaspersky vs. Norton - minimal use of resources, fast, efficient, and easy to use. Couldn't be more satisfied (unless it was free).

I used to use Spybot and Ad-Aware but Spybot seems to have some conflict with Kaspersky AV, and, since Kaspersky does just about everything anyway, I rarely use Ad-Aware any more. I DO use CCleaner, however.
                            Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dweekie
                              :scratchchin: I could take a few guesses :yes:
                              At least he didn't save anything on the hard drive. Well, at least I don't think he did .....

Comment

Working...
                              X