New golfer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New golfer help

I am just starting out and would like a decent set of clubs. I am looking at these two sets and cannot decide between them.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/e...-mens-set.html

http://www.touredge.com/products/mensreaction2.asp

Any advice or other club set considerations would be appreciated! :salute:

Tesseract, either one looks fine for someone just starting out. You could also look at used clubs on ebay, craigslist, Calloway pre-owned or Taylor Made pre-owned. I recommend regular (as opposed to stiff) steel shafts on your irons and graphite on your woods. I would get something pretty inexpensive at first to see if golf is something you really like.

If the bug hits you hard, and you start getting somewhat proficient, I would then look at something a bit better in a couple years. If you develop a good game and have good distance, you can also change to stiff shafts in the future.

Comment

I just started golfing last summer. Here is an awesome place to check out for advice.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

Look into Wilson c or d irons. They are great clubs, and you can pick them up for cheap in the States. They are huge in Europe, and don't get much credit in the States. I've played the c6 and c7 series irons for the past 8 years. D series have a bigger sole and more offset for the beginner.

Comment

Dennis,

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get to a golf store or pro shop and actually have them fit you for a set of clubs. It's painless, effective and will absolutely prevent problems.

The game is hard enough without also adding the wrong tools to the mix.
          Ray

Comment

I know nothing about golf, but just wanted to pass along a deal that popped up in my daily perusing on slickdeals and dealnews. Here's the dealnews title;

Callaway Golf Pre-Owned offers a White Ice Putter in 15 styles for free with orders of $150 or more. Plus, coupon code "FREESHIPA12" bags free shipping.

and the link;
            http://dealnews.com/Callaway-Golf-Pr...ng/668732.html

Sounds like it's good through the 18th.

I bet Ray's advice is probably the way to go, though.

Comment

My opinion only. Unless things have changed in the past few years, golf shops will only fit you for certain clubs, and these tend to be those on the spendy side. I'm not sure I would pay the price for spendy clubs unless I was pretty serious about golf and played a lot. I've never got fitted for clubs, but know standard loft and lie is pretty close to what I need. There is online tools where you can enter your height, length of hands to the ground, etc. which will give you a good idea whether you need something other than standard. I've been golfing for about 25 years and have never seen the need.

Again, if you get into it seriously, then getting fitted may be something you should consider in a few years. But I really believe you should see how much you like it, and how much you actually play first.

Comment

Did a ton of reading over the last few days (one site), bookmarked The Hacker's Paradise forum and visited Austad's today after work. Decided to just get the 18 pc. Callaway Strata set for $229 shipped (local Austad's didn't have one), as it has all the clubs needed to get started. This will save $$$ for time on the green. :D

Thanks for the advice, guys. :applause: Hoping to have fun with this. I'll definitely look at getting some serious clubs once I learn the game.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
                  Did a ton of reading over the last few days (one site), bookmarked The Hacker's Paradise forum and visited Austad's today after work. Decided to just get the 18 pc. Callaway Strata set for $229 shipped (local Austad's didn't have one), as it has all the clubs needed to get started. This will save $$$ for time on the green. :D

Thanks for the advice, guys. :applause: Hoping to have fun with this. I'll definitely look at getting some serious clubs once I learn the game.
                  Might as well get a belly putter before they ban them. :)

Those clubs look like a good choice for starters. If the length is right which they should be (you aren't crazy tall or crazy short) you can use those for years.
                  -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Thanks, Greg. Hoping the weather allows for some play time soon. :peeping:

We got to play a bit early February.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Golf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	77812

Comment

We have a really nice gym at work, but it's so busy, and with all this overtime I haven't bothered to go in. But... I found out there is a driving range simulator in there. Gonna head over there next week.

:woo:

Comment

Highlands?
                        I shaved my balls for this :salute:

Denon DVD1920, NAD C352, Hafler XL280 & XL600, B&W 602s3, MiniDSP, CHT 18.T(the duo), Acoustic Research PR1212
                        Tama drums, Zildjian cymbals, Jackson & Epiphone guitars, Marshall amps

Comment

I hit the Highlands driving range Sunday afternoon. Might hit The Links tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X