What about the video side of things - calibrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the video side of things - calibrate

So needless to say, been very happy with my Rocket 5.1 setup to support OTA HDTV and dvd viewing.

This past holiday season upgraded the AVR for HD audio codecs and dvd to BD-DVD.

I have an older Toshiba 57" RPTV, great picture, used component in, and had it professionally calibrated 2 years ago by Gregg at LionAV.

Problem with the new gear, no hdmi on the older tv, just a dvi port. So got a Monoprice hdmi to dvi cable, and wound up with a very detailed picture, but pronounced yellow push. Couldn't correct it myself with the AVIA disk.

So called Gregg a month ago, and he stopped by this past Thursday for 2.5 hours, and found my grey on the dvi port was so far out of spec. that it was purplish. He corrected it, did a full cleaning, calibration, color correction and tweaked my component input for my htpc.

Now once again a great pic just in time for the big game for OTA HD viewing, and I'm going to try to get the missus to watch the BD version of Kill Bill with me.

Why do I relate this? It seems of all the things we talk about on these forums that's AV related, I rarely, if ever see professional calibration of video mentioned. Why is that? Is everyone happy with one of the 'do it yourself' disks? I found I could improve the 'out of box' experience with AVIA, but I couldn't approach what Gregg just did for me. Was it a little pricey, I suppose so. But I bought Blu-Ray for the best possible picture, and without Gregg's help, I wasn't getting it.

Gene
    There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
    -Cliff Clavin

Gregg has done both my DLP sets. He's a great guy and really knows his sh.......tuff. Regrettably, he has cut back on his trips to my neck of the woods and has passed me along to an associate. I may use the associate next time (bulb replacement or new TV), or I may use a Southern Ohio guy I've heard good things about. Undecided.
    Jack

Comment

Video: HCFR + Colorimeter.
      Audio: RoomEQWizard + Microphone.

That's all you need to know.

Comment

It's a cost thing. Most people can get acceptable results with playing around with the settings without paying someone to come out and professionally play around with the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Josuah
          Video: HCFR + Colorimeter.
          Audio: RoomEQWizard + Microphone.

That's all you need to know.
          I second REW, just figured it out last July, and it really helped.

But it took a few days of 'futzing' with it to figure it out.

I'm not going through that with the service menu of my tv.

Too many postings on AVS of folks who got in there, did not right down what was already set, blew those settings away, and now were lost.

Not going there - unless someone first walked me through the process of using HCFR+ Colorimeter. :crazy:
          -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
            Gregg has done both my DLP sets. He's a great guy and really knows his sh.......tuff. Regrettably, he has cut back on his trips to my neck of the woods and has passed me along to an associate. I may use the associate next time (bulb replacement or new TV), or I may use a Southern Ohio guy I've heard good things about. Undecided.
            He is a nice guy, spent a pleasant afternoon with him. He was leaving my place for a stop in MD just south of Baltimore, then VA, and W. VA the next day. He said the W. VA. stop was as far as he goes these days, and only does that as the guy there is an old customer he keeps asking him to come out.
            -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Working...
            X