No announcement yet.

Looking at new PCs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the deed is done. I really appreciate everyone's input, and while I gave the Macs a little consideration, I have continued down the PC trail for the timebeing. Here's the final config I ordered:

1 Studio XPS featuring Core i7 processors
    1 Intel® Core™i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
    1 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
    1 Keyboard included in Dell Bluetooth Package
    1 Dell 24 inch Consumer™ S2409W Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand
    1 ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    1 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    1 Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
    1 Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
    1 Mouse included in Dell Bluetooth Package
    1 Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
    1 No Modem Option
    1 Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
    1 Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability
    1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    1 No speakers
    1 No Productivity software pre-installed
    1 McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months
    1 2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    1 Windows Vista™ Premium
    1 Dell Remote Access, free basic service
    1 Dell Bluetooth Wireless Media Hub + Keyboard/Mouse

I think this ought to hold me for awhile. Now I'll just try out Vista a little bit and if I hate it I'll install 64-bit XP on it...the same goes for the on-board sound. And there are several other possibilities regarding storage and such...but for now, I'm going to bed. Thanks again everyone!

Randy

Comment

Nice system, Randy.

Re: Vista 64, you might want to check if your favorite application supports Vista 64. I have 2 crucial ones from work that does not support 64 (Cisco VPN and Checkpoint SSL). I'm not 100% certain of the Cisco one, but it's not installing on my Vista 64 laptop.

Also, don't you have to have a 64-bit OS in order to use more than 2 Gigs of RAM?
      PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by PhenomeNhan
        Nice system, Randy.

Re: Vista 64, you might want to check if your favorite application supports Vista 64. I have 2 crucial ones from work that does not support 64 (Cisco VPN and Checkpoint SSL). I'm not 100% certain of the Cisco one, but it's not installing on my Vista 64 laptop.

Also, don't you have to have a 64-bit OS in order to use more than 2 Gigs of RAM?
        Thanks!

I already know my work VPN doesn't support Vista, but I'll be keeping this old machine around (probably moving it to my bedroom - if I can get the random reboot thing figured out, that is) and I have my work laptop available if I decide to keep Vista on the new machine. And you do have to have a 64-bit OS to address over 3.2 GB of RAM, I believe, which is why I'll go with the 64-bit version of XP if I decide to make an OS change...time will tell.

The good news is that I don't have as much buyer's remorse as I thought I would. I wouldn't be as uptight about it, at all, if I hadn't just paid a little over $1300 to replace a headlamp on my car. HID lamps are nice until you have to replace one...ugh. :fryingpan:

Randy

Comment

Nice system, Randy.

The Cisco IPSec VPN client is not compatible with Vista 64 bit and Cisco has stated they will never make it compatible. If your work VPN supports SSL VPN, you can use the Cisco AnyConnect client to conncect on Vista 64 bit, however, there are some issues with split-tunnelling so if you try to connect to a network printer or file share on your home network while on the VPN you may not be able to do so.

Another alternative is to run this:
          http://www.ncp-e.com/en/vpn-szenarie...ry-client.html

It is an IPSec client compatible with Vista 64-bit and works quite well - I have a few team members using it until we fully switch to SSL VPN.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeCiscoGuy
            The Cisco IPSec VPN client is not compatible with Vista 64 bit and Cisco has stated they will never make it compatible. If your work VPN supports SSL VPN, you can use the Cisco AnyConnect client to conncect on Vista 64 bit, however, there are some issues with split-tunnelling so if you try to connect to a network printer or file share on your home network while on the VPN you may not be able to do so.

Another alternative is to run this:
            http://www.ncp-e.com/en/vpn-szenarie...ry-client.html

It is an IPSec client compatible with Vista 64-bit and works quite well - I have a few team members using it until we fully switch to SSL VPN.
            Thanks, Ciscoguy! I'll look into it after today :)
            PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
            [email protected]

Comment

How the hell do you do a quick reply in this forum? :D
              Click on the icon with the paper and pencil on the far right of the quote icon and that will drop you into quick reply.

Comment

Working...
              X