Camera gripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera gripe

Sorry guys, just came on here to *****. I had detailed my camera-buying process on this forum and shortly after buying the camera bought the oft-recommended "nifty 50" 50mm prime for my Canon.

Well, once I put it on the camera, I couldn't get it back off (cheap lens with decent optics - guess where they cut corners?). Brand new lens, brand new camera, send it in for warranty repair right? I sent in the camera and called a week later - they told me it would be a $53 repair charge for the lens since it would likely have to be destroyed to get it off the camera. I argued that it was a manufacturing defect and got a supervisor to remove the charge.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I get the camera back but not the lens. Called and they told me the lens was broken when they received it and had signs of "impact damage", so they won't repair or offer warranty replacement. When I tell him it was working fine (just wouldn't come off the camera) when I sent it on, the CSR basically calls me a liar.

Frustrating experience; luckily it was a cheap lens.

Well, that just sucks. If your nifty fifty is a 1.8 lens, I would think that Canon's cost would be less than $20.

I am a Nikon guy and I never bash other camera manufacturer's stuff, but your experience makes me think less of Canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4AU
      Well, that just sucks. If your nifty fifty is a 1.8 lens, I would think that Canon's cost would be less than $20.

I am a Nikon guy and I never bash other camera manufacturer's stuff, but your experience makes me think less of Canon.
      Make me think less of them too. :)

It is/was the f1.8 lens. Id' agree - Canon's cost has to be <$50 on that lens. You would think that they would offer at least a discount on a new on for me.

Oh well, I'll replace it with a lens that doesn't feel like it came out of my daughter's toy box. I bought the f1.8 because it was cheap and worked well for indoor photography (the kit lens isn't quite fast enough indoors) and was cheap. If I'm stepping up to a "real" lens, I might opt for 28-30mm instead of the 50mm so I don't have to back up quite as far. Any thoughts on 30mm vs. 50mm?

Comment

For the price, the 1.8 nifty fifty is hard to beat. Mine is a refurb that I purchased from Cameta Camera, on eBay.

Comment

I realize I probably wouldn't ahve two bad experiences in a row, but I was considering stepping up to the Canon 50mm f1.4 USM. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Canon 28mm f1.8 are in the same price range, so I was considering those.

Comment

I would call them back again and speak to a supervisor, they aught to give you something...

Comment

Get the Canon 1.4. One can do wonders with fast lens.

Comment

Working...
              X