U2 Concert - TCF Bank Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U2 Concert - TCF Bank Stadium

I've seen a few concerts/shows so far in my life, but none have come close to spectacle last night at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of U of Minnesota.

First of all, nice stadium. I was a little bit miffed that they weren't serving alcohol at the stadium, AND you couldn't tailgate as well.

There were a few large beer tents so that made up for it.

The U2 set for the 360 tour is a $25 million piece of awesomeness. I saw U2 in Omaha in 2005 on their Vertigo tour. It was shortly after my girlfriend (at the time) and I had seen DMB a few weeks earlier at Qwest Center Omaha and thought it was fantastic...before we had ever seen U2. Even though you could do without some of the political stuff Bono throws in his shows, U2 has got to be one of the best grandiose shows out there.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...126071808.html

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...126068033.html

Those are some reviews of the show. The opening act, Interpol made good use of the 3.5 million watts of power. You could feel the bass waves hitting you in the chest much like a good show in your HT. I hadn't experienced that outdoors, that impactful, before. I have seen 311 and KISS but this was nuts! Interpol was solid though the vocals were a little underwhelming with the amount of bass mixed in.

The U2 setlist http://www.u2setlists.com/360-northamerica-2011.shtml was solid. I still haven't heard them play Sweetest Thing, but maybe that isn't a great show song.

Beautiful Day was quite impressive. They had Cmdr Kelly from the Intl Space Station have an intro throwing lyrics and a message into the floating air of the space station. It was right when a front was blowing into the cities. The wind came up to gusts of 30+ on key parts of the song, and along with the light show that this massive set produces, was quite.....awesome. Transitioning into Elevation afterwards, it was probably the highlight of the show for me.

Kiss Me, Kill me is actually one of my live favorites, as is Where The Streets Have No Name, which were included in the encores.

I thought it was an amazing show. Most people prepared for the deluge of rain that came, we had ponchos. Bono mixed in a bunch of "Singin in the Rain-with cool umbrellas-during the breaks....Hardly anyone left though it poured for the 2nd half of the show, with lighting/thunder that I wondered how it didn't hit the 167 ft tall peak of the set.

And guess what, there is a show the 26th at Heinz Field. Might still be tickets. Thought you easterners could catch the show!

I'd go again.
    -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Looks really cool, U2 is known for great productions. I love rock concerts and try to hit 2-3 a year.

Glad you had fun. :woo:

Comment

My wife and I are driving out to Pittsburgh with some friends to see them on Tuesday. Can't wait!!
      Angel City Audio
      East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Originally posted by woofersus
        My wife and I are driving out to Pittsburgh with some friends to see them on Tuesday. Can't wait!!
        I was going to post some more pictures, but will just wait to hear what you thought! Have fun :D
        -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Sounds like a helluva great show! :cool:

Comment

I think they end as the headliner at some Musical Festival in Canada on the 30th?
            -Greg

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
              I was going to post some more pictures
              I'm still trying to figure out how you took the first one. :scratchchin:

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                I think they end as the headliner at some Musical Festival in Canada on the 30th?
                Yup, the "Magnetic Hill Music Festival" in Moncton, New Brunswick. Too far for me to bother. :) Too bad they didn't play Ottawa.

Comment

They played two nights in Montreal in a "stadium" that was built for the occasion :doh! 1:. I think they had 160,000 people total... I would have liked to have seen it but the place where the show was setup you had to go by subway and then by bus or foot to the actual stadium. Very long and tedious, I am too old for that... 80,000 people into one subway station at the end of the show:(...

Comment

Yup, there is a reason they are one of the biggest bands in the world. Their Super Bowl half time show will probably go down as one the best also.

Comment

Finally out of bed after driving home from Pittsburgh until 3:30am, lol. All I can say is "wow." Really an epic show. Too bad it was their last US date for this tour because it's really a must see.
                      Angel City Audio
                      East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Originally posted by woofersus
                        Finally out of bed after driving home from Pittsburgh until 3:30am, lol. All I can say is "wow." Really an epic show. Too bad it was their last US date for this tour because it's really a must see.
                        Exactly how I feel. The stage in itself was something to see. I hope in 10 years when they might go through a last mega tour I can see it.
                        -Greg

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

Maybe there will be a DVD or Blu Ray of the concert available. I love watching shows that I attended, although you realize the scale of the live performance when it is reduced to clips shown on a TV screen.

Comment

Working...
                          X