Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm...is my 5.1 setup operating correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm...is my 5.1 setup operating correctly?

So, for as long as it's been around, I finally have upgraded 3.1 to 5.1.

Until I can get a cable box, my setup goes as follows:

PS3 via HDMI 1.3a to Sony Bravia 52" TV. (KDL 52XBR5)
    Sony Bravia via HDMI 1.3a to Denon 2308CI.

I've run the audyessey setup and it has successfully detected all 5.1 speakers.

However, for grins I ran a Star Wars III (DVD) THX audio test (inside options) and the sound stays mostly with the front 3 speakers. The THX test assumes 7 speakers and the side/rear speaker sounds are still coming from up front. The sub is silent when the test hits it.

The PS3 is set to output in Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, AAC and PCM in 2 flavors. My receiver display is only showing on the left 2 speakers: FL and FR. On the right, the receiver shows it is outputting to all 5.1 speakers. The receiver is set to Dolby PLII Cinema mode. The status button on the AVR shows the signal it's getting is PCM 48khz from the TV.

When movies play, I do hear sound coming out of the rear speakers and the sub, but I have to wonder if I'm truly getting DD 5.1.

I went ahead and added all 5.1 pcm output options on the PS3, but the AVR is still getting 2 channel PCM 48khz from the TV.

So, I guess the question is; am I getting true DD 5.1, or some bastardized version of it through a bunch of conversions on the audio stream?

(I wish I knew more about audio signal processing)

You need to connect the PS3 to the Denon and the Denon to the tv.

Right now, the tv can only accept stereo input, so the surround gets cut and only stereo is sent to the receiver. Your receiver will then have the 5.1 channels light up on the left side of the display.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinstripe
      You need to connect the PS3 to the Denon and the Denon to the tv.

Right now, the tv can only accept stereo input, so the surround gets cut and only stereo is sent to the receiver. Your receiver will then have the 5.1 channels light up on the left side of the display.
      You were right, 100%. It also solved the problem of where my bass went. HOLY COW. I'm actually afraid to go back and watch Iron Man now.

Comment

yep, it now shows as multi ch direct instead of dolby plII;

Ironman now has a ridiculous amount of bass, at 50% gain and -10dB on the channel...

Comment

So can I ask yet another question:

Which output setting is the best for a PS3 to a Denon 2308CI without Dolby TrueHD?

DD 5.1? Some form of PCM?

Comment

Send everything from the PS3 as PCM. The PS3 can now decode any format to multichannel PCM, and it sounds like your receiver can not. Either way the sound quality is identical.

Comment

Working...
            X