Audyessy Setup? What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audyessy Setup? What?

I posted this over at AV123, but I thought I'd give TCA a chance. I haven't been over here in ages, so I thought I'd swing by, look around and post a topic. I just got my rocket order in (rs850, bigfoot, rs450). On my audyessy setup, it set the crossover funky, to the point where I'm wondering why.
    (I have to admit, it does sound damn good.)

What are your thoughts on the setup?

I found my calibration mic, and got a chance to run it on the new rockets.

It did something different this time: It set the xover of all 5 speakers to 40hz, set them to large, put the LFE at 80 hz, and set the sub to LFE + Main. The speakers are all between +3 and +5, but the sub is -10.

VERY odd choice IMO for the volume/crossovers. It sounds good with basic TV, but I didn't think Audyessey typically set speakers to large.

SVS's Ed Mullen beat into my head how accurately Audyessey sets up configurations. But isn't there something flawed in the FR of this setup? Wouldn't this give me a significant boost in 40-80hz, causing a noticeable drop-off at 40?

At loud volumes (-10db), there's a sweet spot where the kick drums are just plain awesome and in balance with the rest of the music. At very loud volumes (around 0 db) however, the rockets still get pretty bright, which makes me think their still breaking in, or the d-eno-n is wussing out.

Ed is smoking crack. The bigfoot can not play flat to 40 and depending on the room and volume level the 450's and 850's are pushing it.

Set all rockets to small and set the crossover on the bigfoot to at least 80 and the other rockets to at least 60. I would try setting them all to 80 as a best bet starting point.

If you listen loud which it seems you do there is no reason to push the little woofer to their max trying to reproduce the 40-60 hz bass (which will limit their performance in the upper frequencies) when you have a good sub to handle that region.

As for the final problem, you dont say which model, but the Denon (can we say that here?) is probably wussing out on tough material at 0 db. You are certainly on the edge of what a typical receiver can push through multiple channels.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
      As for the final problem, you dont say which model, but the Denon (can we say that here?) is probably wussing out on tough material at 0 db. You are certainly on the edge of what a typical receiver can push through multiple channels.
      thanks for the feedback, it's a 2308ci. 100wpc.

Comment

You are very likely to have some clipping of the peaks at reference levels with a 2308 and Rockets. I used to have my Rockets on a 2801 and now have them on a 140 watt Pioneer Elite 84, and both will noticeably clip with hot sound tracks unless turned down to more "sane" levels.

Comment

Working...
        X