Dang Vinyl is SWEET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang Vinyl is SWEET

and I am not talking about blow up dolls either ( Craig )
    Although I did just fire up some Queen Fat Bottom Girls :eek:

First time I have fired up the turntable since probably 1988.
    Just an old Technics SL-J2 that I bought new as a kid with my own money

I forgot how good things can really sound #$(*&#*$& Digital:moon:

Guess I am going to have to start looking for a new cartridge as I know this one has a lot of play time as I never used cassettes except in the car.

I am sure there will be a good table in my future along with purchasing a bunch of new albums!
    Kevin
    Motor City Custom Audio
    Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
    Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

I'll have to give yours a listen sometime, since I'm familiar with the sound of the rest of the system. So far, I've yet to hear a vinyl setup that I really liked.
    Angel City Audio
    East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

You know what would really blow your mind...
      A once heard a few master recordings on 1/2 in at 15 ips. That was amazing.

I was told that often vinyl cutters would use a compression ratio of infinity to one. Basically maxing out the compressor. So I have mixed feelings about vinyl. But certainly analog is awesome!

I have a free plugin for pro tools called "Tape head" that is pretty neat. It is made by Massey plugins. I used it on a few of my demos and I have to say the effect is pretty warm. It can even simulate overdriving the tape head. I have been meaning to see if I can drop some random cd recordings into it and re burn and see what the result is.

Originally posted by Sandbagger
      and I am not talking about blow up dolls either ( Craig )
      Although I did just fire up some Queen Fat Bottom Girls :eek:

First time I have fired up the turntable since probably 1988.
      Just an old Technics SL-J2 that I bought new as a kid with my own money

I forgot how good things can really sound #$(*&#*$& Digital:moon:

Guess I am going to have to start looking for a new cartridge as I know this one has a lot of play time as I never used cassettes except in the car.

I am sure there will be a good table in my future along with purchasing a bunch of new albums!

Comment

Originally posted by edgebsl
        You know what would really blow your mind...
        A once heard a few master recordings on 1/2 in at 15 ips. That was amazing.
        I am sure HAL will correct me since I am sure part of this isnt right but....

2yrs ago at RMAF the guy who did the original recording of JAWS had his 1" original MASTER...... THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE!!! problem is, getting source tape:doh! 1:
        Kevin
        Motor City Custom Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Sandbagger
          I am sure HAL will correct me since I am sure part of this isnt right but....

2yrs ago at RMAF the guy who did the original recording of JAWS had his 1" original MASTER...... THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE!!! problem is, getting source tape:doh! 1:
          Wow! I have never heard of a 1" two track master!

That would be absolutely sick.
          It may be multitrack, but regardless, real analog tape is badass :rock:

Comment

Now tape I can get behind. Good stuff!
            Angel City Audio
            East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Originally posted by woofersus
              Now tape I can get behind. Good stuff!
              But not 8 track!

Oh crap, I am revealing my age.

Comment

Kevin,
                Not sure about tape width, but I know of 1/4", 1/2", 1" and 2" tape for masters. Just depends on how many tracks they used for the master. Not sure as I did not hear that demo at RMAF. Probably to busy drooling over LS-9's or Super-V's. ;)

Yeah, vinyl can be great. I have some 1/2 speed master LP's that are wonderful.

The Technics has a P-Mount cartridge from the visual that I can see. I would just start with a new stylus. It looks like a linear tracker, so should not have to worry about anything but making sure the tracking force is set.

I refurbished an Oracle Delphi MKII table with an SME Series III arm and Shure Ultra 500 cartridge awhile back. It is a great table setup! :)
                Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

Cool retro TT.

Comment

Guess I am going to have to dig through pictures to find that tape, It might have been 2" as it was a huge counsel machine. They were running some real BIG speakers huge dynamics, dang, I can see them and the deck, cant remember the name.

I also have a dual 1249 here http://dual-reference.com/tables/1249.htm

It needs TLC before I would consider putting anything on it, and needs a belt.

I figured since the Tech is a Linear tracking table, and no adjustments I was safe, but I still need to go through it and clean/lube it as it some times has issues on start up.
                    Kevin
                    Motor City Custom Audio

Comment

Originally posted by edgebsl
                      But not 8 track!

Oh crap, I am revealing my age.

Jeremy,
                      You are just a youngster. My first tape machine was a portable mono 1/4" unit with 3" reels that my uncle gave me when I was 10. That was 42 years ago! :eek: Still really like 1/4" tape. Have the recordings from my old band on them to transfer when I get a good stereo machine.

Ahhh... the memories this brings back! :)

Comment

Ok, here is a turntable pic. Maybe some incentive to get the Dual going.

An Oracle Delphi MKII turntable with an unknown arm. This is from the original Stereophile review of the table. I had mine rewored by Oracle with some of the latest upgrades and it sounds great. Luckily these used ones can be found at good prices on occassion.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                          Jeremy,
                          You are just a youngster. My first tape machine was a portable mono 1/4" unit with 3" reels that my uncle gave me when I was 10. That was 42 years ago! :eek: Still really like 1/4" tape. Have the recordings from my old band on them to transfer when I get a good stereo machine.

Ahhh... the memories this brings back! :)
                          When I was little my sister had one of those. I remember listening to "Houses of the Holy" on it with her!

Comment

Working...
                          X