Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer TimelineX AS5820T-7683 laptop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Acer TimelineX AS5820T-7683 laptop

    What do you think of this laptop...

    Acer TimelineX AS5820T-7683 laptop
    $600 at Amazon (from $700 MSRP)

    Product Features
    State-of-the-art component engineering guarantees higher power efficiency
    The Acer Aspire TimelineX AS5820T with its 15.6" LED display is less than one-inch, at its thinnest point, and lightweight

    A cinematic 15.6" widescreen LED-backlit display features 16:9 HD True Cinematic View for enriched multimedia playback

    Windows 7 Home Premium makes the things you do every day easier and with Office Starter 2010, experience new ways to deliver your best work!
    Smart controls and intuitive keys like the Easy-launch P Key and Media Controls, let you open often used programs and control your media with a touch.

    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
    Hardware Platform: PC
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i3
    Number of Processors: 1
    RAM: 4 GB
    RAM Type: SDRAM
    Hard Drive
    Size: 320 GB
    Type: ATA100
    Speed: 5400 rpm
    Graphics and Display
    Graphics RAM: 128 MB
    Ports and Connectivity
    USB Ports: 4
    Cases and Expandability
    Size (LWH): 9.84 inches, 14.96 inches, 1.4 inches
    Weight: 5.4 pounds
    Power
    Rated Charge (normal use): 8 hours
    HT Gear (AVS Link)
    Rk: MA WR-37-32
    Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
    Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
    Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
    Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
    BR: Oppo BDP-103
    Gm: 360 Pro
    LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
    S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
    Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
    Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
    TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

  • #2
    Spec wise looks good but I don't like the layout of the keyboard and touchpad...personal preference.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cburbs
      Spec wise looks good but I don't like the layout of the keyboard and touchpad...personal preference.
      cburbs -
      I hand't noticed that non-symmetry initially.
      Good point.

      Mike
      HT Gear (AVS Link)
      Rk: MA WR-37-32
      Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
      Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
      Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
      Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
      BR: Oppo BDP-103
      Gm: 360 Pro
      LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
      S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
      Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
      Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
      Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
      TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

      Comment


      • #4
        Anyone else?
        Other options?

        Mike
        HT Gear (AVS Link)
        Rk: MA WR-37-32
        Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
        Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
        Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
        Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
        BR: Oppo BDP-103
        Gm: 360 Pro
        LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
        S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
        Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
        Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
        Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
        TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

        Comment


        • #5
          What price range?

          Any particular spec(s) you are looking for?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cburbs
            What price range?

            Any particular spec(s) you are looking for?
            Ha.
            Your reasonable questions have stymied me (momentarily).
            :)

            Probably <$1000, lightweight, good battery, decent processing and screen size.

            This will mainly be a secondary/tertiary computer used for surfing the web at home while watching the nth iteration of kids movies or while at meetings for work.

            My current work computer (a HP compaq I think) doesn't have much memory and has a bunch of work software on it that slows it down.

            Mike
            HT Gear (AVS Link)
            Rk: MA WR-37-32
            Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
            Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
            Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
            Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
            BR: Oppo BDP-103
            Gm: 360 Pro
            LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
            S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
            Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
            Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
            Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
            TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

            Comment


            • #7
              Does screen size/weight matter?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cburbs
                Does screen size/weight matter?
                I think my current laptop is ~15" screen, so I think that is about right.
                Lighter is nicer, but doesn't need to be a featherweight.

                Mike
                HT Gear (AVS Link)
                Rk: MA WR-37-32
                Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                BR: Oppo BDP-103
                Gm: 360 Pro
                LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Acer has a pretty good price/value relationship. I am typing this on an 1810 TZ and I have been very pleased with it over the last year.
                  Ray

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mike_TX
                    What do you think of this laptop...

                    Acer TimelineX AS5820T-7683 laptop
                    $600 at Amazon (from $700 MSRP)

                    Product Features
                    State-of-the-art component engineering guarantees higher power efficiency
                    The Acer Aspire TimelineX AS5820T with its 15.6" LED display is less than one-inch, at its thinnest point, and lightweight

                    A cinematic 15.6" widescreen LED-backlit display features 16:9 HD True Cinematic View for enriched multimedia playback

                    Windows 7 Home Premium makes the things you do every day easier and with Office Starter 2010, experience new ways to deliver your best work!
                    Smart controls and intuitive keys like the Easy-launch P Key and Media Controls, let you open often used programs and control your media with a touch.

                    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
                    Hardware Platform: PC
                    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i3
                    Number of Processors: 1
                    RAM: 4 GB
                    RAM Type: SDRAM
                    Hard Drive
                    Size: 320 GB
                    Type: ATA100
                    Speed: 5400 rpm
                    Graphics and Display
                    Graphics RAM: 128 MB
                    Ports and Connectivity
                    USB Ports: 4
                    Cases and Expandability
                    Size (LWH): 9.84 inches, 14.96 inches, 1.4 inches
                    Weight: 5.4 pounds
                    Power
                    Rated Charge (normal use): 8 hours
                    The price on this has just been going up on Amazon.
                    What's up?

                    Mike
                    HT Gear (AVS Link)
                    Rk: MA WR-37-32
                    Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                    Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                    Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                    Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                    BR: Oppo BDP-103
                    Gm: 360 Pro
                    LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                    S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                    Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                    Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                    TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Still looking.
                      Anyone else have other options they'd suggest?
                      I think my brother mentioned various Samsung models...

                      Mike
                      HT Gear (AVS Link)
                      Rk: MA WR-37-32
                      Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                      Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                      Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                      Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                      BR: Oppo BDP-103
                      Gm: 360 Pro
                      LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                      S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                      Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                      Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                      Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                      TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dell XPS 15

                        I tried configuring (online pricing/surfing) a Dell XPS 15 this morning.
                        Man, there are a lot of add ons you can do.

                        Any thoughts on the XPS 15 -- 6 cell and 9 cell battery options.

                        Mike
                        HT Gear (AVS Link)
                        Rk: MA WR-37-32
                        Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                        Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                        Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                        Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                        BR: Oppo BDP-103
                        Gm: 360 Pro
                        LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                        S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                        Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                        Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                        Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                        TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you're requirements from Dec are still accurate, any of these lower priced models should work:
                          http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...E0-_-PromoWord

                          I'd probably veer towards the Acer or the higher priced HP for the extra ram and faster CPUs.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Battery duration comparisons?

                            Originally posted by JazzySmooth
                            If you're requirements from Dec are still accurate, any of these lower priced models should work:
                            http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...E0-_-PromoWord

                            I'd probably veer towards the Acer or the higher priced HP for the extra ram and faster CPUs.
                            Thanks.

                            Anyone know a place with comparisons of features and battery duration (with similar testing). The battery times all seem highly exaggerated.

                            Mike
                            HT Gear (AVS Link)
                            Rk: MA WR-37-32
                            Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                            Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                            Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                            Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                            BR: Oppo BDP-103
                            Gm: 360 Pro
                            LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                            S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                            Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                            Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                            Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                            TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That HP that was linked is nice if it fits the price.

                              Batteries are batteries and some last longer than others. I need to replace my HP laptop battery...still haven't done it...it last like 20 minutes now.

                              They only last for so many charge cycles as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X