Gift Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Idea

Looking at getting a Kindle for Margaret . She does read a lot ....**** she will read an entire book during a football game.

Anyway does anyone have any input on these ? are they really worth it or is there even something better ? I don't want to get her something just to hve it stuck in a drawer.

A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

I have a Kindle and love it.
    I have the WiFi/3G, but most of the time you likely wouldn't need 3G -- just d-load at home or WiFi spot with a bunch of books and you are set.
    (Now) cheap, lightweight, syncs.
    Good stuff.

I bought it because I was reading more and tired of collecting books.

Mike
    HT Gear (AVS Link)
    Rk: MA WR-37-32
    Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
    Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
    Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
    Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
    BR: Oppo BDP-103
    Gm: 360 Pro
    LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
    S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
    Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
    Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
    TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

Thanks Mike ! I was thinking the 3G thing was storage.........thanks for setting me straight.

So the more expensive one stores the same amount as the cheaper unit.....right ?
      A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Drunkonjack
        Thanks Mike ! I was thinking the 3G thing was storage.........thanks for setting me straight.

So the more expensive one stores the same amount as the cheaper unit.....right ?
        I'm not sure about storage.
        It's been a while since I got mine and researched it.
        I DO have the 3G version as I thought it would be nice to be able to d-load books not attached to a Wi-Fi network, but I have it off mainly to conserve battery, so you could go either way.

Mike
        HT Gear (AVS Link)

Comment

A few months ago my wife was given a Kindle as a gift. She totally loves it!

I was originally concerned about the readability compared to a regular book. I just queeried my wife and she prefers it to a 'dead tree' book. One thing especially helpful is that she can change the font size.

She suggests getting a cover. She clips a book light on at night so she can read while I'm serenading her with my snores.

We travel in a boat and RV. Imagine being able to have over a thousand books in that small space! Also the books are typically cheaper and some are free.

Everyone we have talked to that has one or has used on also loves it. Don't think you can go wrong!

Rod

Comment

+1 on cover.
            I have the integrated cover/book light.

Mike
            HT Gear (AVS Link)

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

Comment

Originally posted by Drunkonjack

Yep, they all actually have the same amount of storage and the differences have to do with Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi and 3G, and also size (the DX is bigger). There's a nice comparison table here that shows the differences. With the 3G version you can download a book nearly anywhere, with the Wi-Fi version, you have to be someplace with access to a wireless network.

I can't speak of personal experience with the Kindle but I have heard really positive things from everyone I know that owns one. I have really enjoyed the convenience of having books available to bring with me on my iPad. Based on what you're saying about her reading habits, I don't think you can go wrong with the Kindle!

EDIT: I sort of restated some of what Mike said there... hopefully there's some additional insight in there that is helpful!

Comment

I think the Kindle is a quality product and works really well as an e-reader but I'm starting to rethink if I would buy one for myself. I recently bought a new ipod touch and have the kindle app on it and have been reading my first book on it and it's really not bad. The app allows font size changes, sepia tones, and you can adjust brightness on the touch settings. Although I haven't tried an ipad, I think based on my experience with the touch it would be a pretty good e-reader and have many more features than the kindle. Either watch purchased itune movies or stream Netflix movies, also hooks up to TV. Apple should be coming out with a new ipad the first quarter that will have cameras and probably facetime.

I purchased the third season of Breaking Bad from itunes since it wasn't out on DVD yet and hooked up the touch to a 50" screen and a projector and both images was really quite good, and this was for the standard def version of the show.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Kindle as a stand alone reader, although I did when I recently gave one to my mother-in-law, who wouldn't even try it and promptly gave it away to my sister-in-law, who loves it BTW.

Comment

DJ- my wife reads all the time - constantly picks up a book and is reading.
                    I asked her a few times in the past (and recently) if she ever considered a Kindle. She is not interested in the least.

She told me she would be worried about dropping it or breaking it -and wondered how "fragile" it would be.
                    She also did not like the idea of paying (for books) for something
                    that she gets free from her twice weekly Library stops.

So much for this xmas idea of mine - lol
                    (My wife does not care for the computer much either though - and
                    hates online searching or buying too.)

Just an opinion from the other side of things.
                    I think the Kindle is cool. Just not for my "not-in-the-least-tech-savvy" wife though.
                    -M

Comment

Working...
                    X