Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cable quality make a difference for power cords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cable quality make a difference for power cords?

Does cable quality make a difference for power cords? I am considering buying 2k worth of power cords for only a few hundred bucks at a liquidation. What do you guys think? Worth it?

It's a hotly debated topic, but I've usually heard a difference. If nothing else, buy em at liquidation and sell them off.
    "Let the floating wall float" - m-fine

Comment

it all depends on the quality of power coming out of the outlet.

i would say spend the money on getting a balanced power conditioning unit like an equitech, versus spending 2k on cords. or put that money into buying acoustic treatments and sound isolation products.

you will get a bigger difference in performance doing either of those then a power cable.

just be warned this is beyond a hot topic. speaker cable debates are one thing but this is far more dangerous territory.

*time to duck and cover* :hide:

Matt
      Still think Craig is in the "Chase" for that sense of humour. :neener 1:

Comment

Matt, read the original post.

I am considering buying 2k worth of power cords for only a few hundred bucks at a liquidation.
        Like Art said, if he doesn't like 'em, he can easily sell them and recoup the cost.

You are assuming that the OP doesn't already have treatments and conditioning. :neener:

Comment

it all depends on the quality of power coming out of the outlet.
          This is my take as well.

Reminds me of a couple years ago when suddenly my Comcrap internet started intermittently dropping. This was likely due to the capsule in the front yard being 50% destroyed and water getting into it every shower....which is when the problems happened. They had to send out a tech though and I had to be there. First thing this guy does is want to check the signal at my router then proceeds to recap my connectors on the exterior. While doing so he comments that my house is wired with old crappy RG-59 and that I should pull new RG-6.

We then proceed to the partially intact capsule at the street. When he pulls of what little remain cover is there I say "well lookie there", and when he asks what I say "Comcrap is using ****ty old RG-59 for the feeder cable to my house". He didn't have much else to say other than the problem was on their side.

I know this is debated over and over again but I just don't believe you can better the quality by improving the last couple feet of wire.:stirthepot:
          Coach Pat Summitt - Folding at Home

Comment

You have a chance to find out for yourself in your room with your gear for a few hundred bucks. Pull the trigger, then come back and let us know what you think.
            2.1-Ch. Subsystem: SBTouch→NEKO D100→W4S-STP-SE→Bryston 10B-Sub Xover→W4S-ST-1000, LS 6, Anti-Mode 8033s, Submersive HP

Comment

Not giving an opinion, just something to think about....

The 6' of powercord between your device and the wall will be "top quality".

What about the 50' between your wall and electrical panel? How does it differ from the "low quality" power cord you just replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
                Matt, read the original post.

Like Art said, if he doesn't like 'em, he can easily sell them and recoup the cost.

You are assuming that the OP doesn't already have treatments and conditioning. :neener:
                i did read the original post...............

my point still being, that it's only worth any real value if the stuff coming out of the outlet is good clean power..

and my opinion still stands that its better to spend money on high quality power conditioning and treatments... there are lots of things that DO increase audio quality that can be added to a system, power cables are about the last thing that really need to be considered. unless it is just a style thing and all that is wanted is a particular look. Which is why i am building my own power cables, i just like the look of those big techflex cables. thats it. I don't see anything in eletrical engineering literature that would lead me to think that spending money on esoteric power cables is going to lift some sort of esoteric veil from the esoteric music that I listen to through my esoteric speaker cables and esoteric interconnects and even more esoteric tweaks like little near microscopic bronze bowls placed randomly around the room..............................

:idea: maybe read my post again....

Matt

Comment

A few hundred dollars is not inexpensive when it comes to cables. That money is likely better spent at other places in your system, though I can't say for certain as I don't recall what you have. Don't spend money on stupid stuff IMHO, spend it on great speakers, well designed inexpensive amplification, room treatments, and music.

The 'buss being sold through GR Research will filter power and make a noticeable difference for a few hundred dollars. I'd recommend that route for most people vs. just buying power cords.
                  "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by je5u5_faced_assassin
                    Does cable quality make a difference for power cords? I am considering buying 2k worth of power cords for only a few hundred bucks at a liquidation. What do you guys think? Worth it?
                    You wont know till you try.

I made a custom power cable, got a slight improvement in sound.

Got far more benefit by replacing the 0.59 cent outlet it plugged into with a $10 hospital grade outlet.
                    There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
                    -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_vai_rules
                      i did read the original post............... my opinion still stands that its better to spend money on high quality power conditioning and treatments...
                      This is a given, but the OP asked if power cables were worth a try. At that price, I say get them, try them, sell them if you don't like them.

I don't see anything in eletrical engineering literature that would lead me to think that spending money on esoteric power cables is going to lift some sort of esoteric veil from the esoteric music that I listen to through my esoteric speaker cables and esoteric interconnects and even more esoteric tweaks like little near microscopic bronze bowls placed randomly around the room..............................

:idea: maybe read my post again.... Matt
                      Microscopic bronze bowls? You have been spending too much time on AVS. :neener: Those guys go a little too far with the objectivity view.

Comment

This is a given, but the OP asked if power cables were worth a try. At that price, I say get them, try them, sell them if you don't like them.

Microscopic bronze bowls? You have been spending too much time on AVS. :neener: Those guys go a little too far with the objectivity view.
                        and my opinion was try them but there are better places to spend your money. again take a good look at what i wrote...

"near microscopic" not microscopic.

Matt

Comment

little near microscopic bronze bowls

Matt
                          A closer looks shows "little" as well. Now I'm really confused...

"near microscopic" not microscopic.

Matt
                          Please define "near". :stirthepot:

Comment

A closer looks shows "little" as well. Now I'm really confused...

Please define "near". :stirthepot:
                            little=small=tiny

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/near

lrn2english

Matt

Comment

lrn2english

Matt
                              With you as a teacher, the world is my oyster. :dizzy: I think we lost the OP, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X