Help me out, what's the scam here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out, what's the scam here?

So I have an ad on Craigslist and I got an email asking if the item was still available. I responded in the affirmative and then got this response:

I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid disturbance, anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover, hence I'll be sending a bank certified check and it will be delivered to you via United Parcel Service (UPS), so I'll need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
    Full name on the check.
    Full Physical address to post the check
    City, State and Zip Code
    Home & Cell Phone to contact you.
    Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the check N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box addresses.Thanks
    Now, there's clearly something wrong for a variety of reasons:

1. If he can't come see it, why not ask for more pics?
    2. Why employ a mover to get an item that would only cost ~$25 to send Fedex? (it's not that big or heavy, I have the original packaging, and the asking price is only $650 so it's not a priceless artifact or anything)
    3. Why use UPS Next Day Air to send a certified bank check rather than putting it in the mail, which would probably get here in 1-2 days anyway?

I realize he could be trying to pass a bad check, but can the bank check for that before I try to deposit it without damage to me? Is there some other common CL scam I'm not seeing here? I've never sold there before. Anybody seen this one?
    Angel City Audio
    East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

"i will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the check "

Right there. If it's a personal check someone can wait 30 days (and sometimes depending on the state up to 60 days) and claim that it is bogus.

Comment

SCAM.

Even an 'official' looking bank check might be a fake one.

Don't do it.
      Hugh
      MELODY US Distributor
      www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Originally posted by madpoet
        "i will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the check "

Right there. If it's a personal check someone can wait 30 days (and sometimes depending on the state up to 60 days) and claim that it is bogus.
        Wow, 30 days? That I didn't know. I always figured once it cleared it cleared. I've bought and sold on forums quite a lot but I've never actually had somebody insist on sending me a personal check before. I guess I'll be insisting that they don't from now on. I knew something was up, but I wanted to know exactly what was up, so I could be vigilant for anybody more sly than this one.

So he's gonna stiff me after I've cashed the check and since I didn't ship it to him I'll have no idea where he is or how to get ahold of him to get my item or money back. Got it.
        Angel City Audio
        East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Nope,

I know of a few instances where your bank deposited the other bank check, cleared it and then later on stated it's fake.

If you want to play them, insist on COD. :)
          Originally posted by woofersus
          Wow, 30 days? That I didn't know. I always figured once it cleared it cleared.
          Hugh
          MELODY US Distributor
          www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Or he wants your address to burglarize your stuff..

I wouldn't give anyone my address from CL.. If he wants the item meet in a public place like a parking lot or something.
            "Arguing on the internet is like trying to make sense out of Bupkiss. You just end up looking foolish". ---Craigsub 04.21.2009

Comment

This has the hallmarks of the classic check scam that is unfortunately very prevalent with online classifieds or for sale listings.

Generally, the scam involves a seemingly legitimate looking but counterfeit check, including cashier checks, to pay for an item. It works because generally banks, as required by federal laws and/or state laws, are required to make funds available, usually no more than five days. Many banks will expedite funds availability on cashier check. However, it takes time to possess the check through the Fed system, and the fake check will usually bounce only when the originator bank discovered the fraud, usually after your item is long gone. But as the depositor of the check, and subject to those lovely fine prints of your bank's depositor agreement, you are ultimately responsible for the check and your bank will seek reimbursement.

A variation of the scam involves the fraudster sending you a check for a much greater amount than your asking price, with the scammer requesting you to refund the excess amount in cash or wire it back. There will always be a sad story involved. This is the double whammy scam - you are out of the item, plus the cash for the refund of the excess amount. I suspect this will be the scam they will try on you.

There have been reports of scammers harassing victims who refused to go along with their scam after receiving their phony checks. Remember, you would have given them your address and phone number before you received their check. So avoid such inquiry like a plague.

I have received plentiful such scam inquiries from my C/L and other online advertisements but generally I just delete them. If it is not cash or paypal, I generally won't consummate the deal.

Hope that clears up the matter for you. And good luck with the sale.

Comment

And I suspect the reason they want to send the bad check via UPS rather than via the mail can be summarized in two words: mail fraud.

Comment

Working...
                X