Acura RL Bouncing Up and Down???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acura RL Bouncing Up and Down???

My wife's 2004 RL had a problem starting...had to jump it off. I took it to my mechanic...testing showed a bad alternator. He replaced it. Cranked right up.

Within just a minute of driving the car home, I noticed that it was really bad about bouncing up and down. I did not have time to take it back to the mechanic. When my wife drove it, she immediately said "what have they done to my car!" Right now, the dang car drives like a 1956 pickup truck. It certainly did not drive like that before I took it to the mechanic.

Any ideas what the numnutz mechanic could have done to screw up my wife's car?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

My guess is he forgot to tighten the screws.

Was the whole car bouncing up and down or just the front half?

Were you there to watch him while he's working on your car?
    Hugh
    MELODY US Distributor
    www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

Hugh, I was not there while he replaced the alternator. It appears to me that it is just the front bouncing up and down.

When you say screws, what screws are you refering to?

Thanks

Comment

Mike,

I meant to say the bolts which hold the alternator to the frame.

I think the alternator is loose somewhat so it's vibrating against the frame which makes the front bouncing. Just a guess on my part.

I bet if you tighten those up then it'd be a ok again. Good luck.
        Hugh
        MELODY US Distributor
        www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

I would suggest revving the motor while standing over it to see if anything is not secured.. Be careful if something is not properly fastened and take it from there, sounds like a part driven by the serpentine belt is loose. Just a guess could be the alternator or other component or components if any that had to be loosened or removed to swap it out.

Comment

Is it a bouncing or a vibration? Does it happen when the car is not moving or does it have to be driving down the road for the sensation to occur? This is a longshot but if it has to be moving it could be he accidentally removed/loosened a connector tied to the active suspension control. We have a TL and it doesn't have this feature but I think the RL would. When you say bouncing I think of something more serious than a loose alternator. Vibration is more suttle.
            ------------------------------------

http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...php?albumid=14

Comment

Bouncing, for sure. It is like the shocks are gone. Will see if it bounces with the motor off. Thanks

Comment

I had this problem in High School on a number of occasions. I thought it was the shocks for a while but it turned out to be the girl. Perhaps this is the same problem?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. As far as what folks have said, that approach seems very good. If you can determine if it is related to (A) the suspension (happens while driving only) or (B) something in the engine bay that is loose (happens when you rev the motor), then that gives you a place to start.

I would definitely check the lugs on all four tires. Perhaps that is the problem (and quite serious if it is). I once had the centering ring stick and the rotated wheel was placed over that and while I could tighten the lugs properly, they wouldn't stay tight and the tire wobbled like the suspension was broken. It took me a while to figure this out (oh, and the tires were rotated at the dealer, so it can happen). The hard part was the centering ring stuck in the wheel so it was hard to tell that there where two on one (I found it by seeing there was none on the rotated wheel...then I figured out there were two on the problem wheel).

Motor mounts that break are a real issue on some front/all wheel drive cars...they really cause a bump.

Loose parts in the engine bay, particularly big parts, can create an issue. All the parts such as the alternator should be firm, not loose. Don't do this check while it is running unless you have Aflac or similar).

Good luck and post up what you find it to be, please.
                Tweak City Audio WAF-1, Paradigm PS1000, Jolida FX-10 tube amp, Samsung Blu-ray, Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Apple Airport Express (living room)

Hawthorne Audio 101515 OB Trio DIY speakers, DIY Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amp, DIY 6CL6 SPUD amp, Rythmik 370 OB Plate Amps (in stereo), Beresford TC-7520 DAC, Macbook Pro/iTunes & Decibel FLAC player for Mac, Sony S370 Blu-ray (listening room)

Other stuff: Usher S-520, JohnBlue JB-3, MiniWatt, Glow Amp One, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Sennheiser HD595

Comment

Did you try the old push down on the fender to see if the car bounces when you let go? It is supposed return to its normal height without bouncing. If it bounces you have suspension troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4AU
                    Bouncing, for sure. It is like the shocks are gone. Will see if it bounces with the motor off. Thanks
                    Sounds to me like something in the active suspension control is gone then. You don't have to have the motor off, just moving or not moving. Try this:

Start the car and let it idle in Park. Is it idling smooth?
                    Rev the engine to 1500-2000 rpm still in Park, is it still smooth or rough?
                    Put it in Drive but not moving (foot on the brake) How is that? Should be idling at about 600-800 RPM.
                    Drive the car at about 10 mph?
                    Drive about 30- 50 mph?

Does it make any difference in the AC is on or off?

If the car has coil springs but actively controlled struts/shocks then this would make it very bouncy when rolling down the road. Like there is no damping at all and just springs bouncing. I'd talk to the shop who did the alternator and atke it back to them.

Did they replace your battery or jump start the car? You may need to call an Acura dealer repair shop for suggestions. Sometimes you can get help from the shop if you can talk to oone of the mechanics rather than spending $100/hr to troubleshoot.

Comment

Originally posted by LoudandClear
                      Sounds to me like something in the active suspension control is gone then. If the car has coil springs but actively controlled struts/shocks then this would make it very bouncy. Like there is no damping at all and just springs bouncing. I'd talk to the shop who did the alternator and atke it back to them.

Did they replace your battery or jump start the car? You may need to call an Acura dealer repair shop for suggestions. Sometimes you can get help from the shop if you can talk to oone of the mechanics rather than spending $100/hr to troubleshoot.
                      Maybe they just forgot to reconnect "that" wire. Might just be a real simple fix.

Comment

I am taking it back to the shop that replaced the alternator. I think they forgot to reconnect "that" wire.

I will update Monday. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Comment

There may be a reset for the active suspension control system. It's possible disconnecting the battery "confused" it. Either that or a surge blew out a fuse for it. It's unlikely there is a "that" wire since that system probably comes off the fuse block just like everything else. If the mechanic is unsure, call an Acura dealer's service department and ask.
                          Angel City Audio
                          East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Originally posted by woofersus
                            It's unlikely there is a "that" wire
                            You're right. It's surely not just a wire form the battery/alternator to the system. I was just trying to state that something done may have shut down that system.

My wife's Acura disables the sound system everytime I disconnect the battery and reapply power. Then we have to go to the dealer to get a security code to use it again. PITA if you ask me :)

Comment

Originally posted by LoudandClear
                              My wife's Acura disables the sound system everytime I disconnect the battery and reapply power. Then we have to go to the dealer to get a security code to use it again. PITA if you ask me :)
                              They should give YOU the code and how to enter it. BMW's do that too, and they give you the code with the owners manual.
                              Kevin
                              Motor City Custom Audio
                              Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
                              Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

Working...
                              X