How high can you hear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high can you hear?

Saw this on avs but thought I would post it here..

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

how high can you hear?

I posed this question to some friends but they all are using crappy computer speakers and even worse earbuds..

So I figure you guys here would have "better setups" than my idiot friends that can easily reproduce a 19-22khz sine wave.

btw I can hear 21khz fairly easily im 26 in 2 months, but my x-statiks didnt seem to like 22khz, or maybe it's something else in the chain... but 22 khz sounded more like 8 lol..

how do you all do?

Matt
    Still think Craig is in the "Chase" for that sense of humour. :neener 1:

16KHz is pretty clear on my Elt525Ms. 17KHz is barely autable and anything less than that not at all. No idea if it is my ears or the tweeters. Could be my old 36 year old ears though. Seems I only hear 16 kHz on the right but 15KHz on both ears.

Can a cell phone even make the higher pitch noises?

Comment

My cheap ass computer speakers only get to 16k. Or it's my ears, but I'm going to blame the comp speakers. My hearing is tested to 12k annually, and it is pretty good except for a small null in both ears at 4k.

I think that way too much weight is given to the ability to hear super high frequencies. I have seen younger people bash older people on hifi forums touting this as some kind of metric for listening ability. It doesn't replace experience at all. What the heck is there to listen to up that high anyway? Show me an instrument that regularly plays this high. As long as my gear is producing these FR right, I am going to hear what I can in my range satisfactorily.

This matters more. http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

Comment

Well there are those dog whisle bands all those young kids are into.

Ok, the cat reacted to 18+KHz. I'm pathetically old I guess.

Comment

Frequencies of music chart

Originally posted by tesseract
          My cheap ass computer speakers only get to 16k. Or it's my ears, but I'm going to blame the comp speakers. My hearing is tested to 12k annually, and it is pretty good except for a small null in both ears at 4k.

I think that way too much weight is given to the ability to hear super high frequencies. I have seen younger people bash older people on hifi forums touting this as some kind of metric for listening ability. It doesn't replace experience at all. What the heck is there to listen to up that high anyway? Show me an instrument that regularly plays this high. As long as my gear is producing these FR right, I am going to hear what I can in my range satisfactorily.

This matters more. http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm
          This chart has been posted on AVS before.
          Helpful for looking at some instrument FR ranges.

Mike
          Attached Files
          HT Gear (AVS Link)
          Rk: MA WR-37-32
          Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
          Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
          Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
          Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
          BR: Oppo BDP-103
          Gm: 360 Pro
          LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
          S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
          Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
          Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
          Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
          TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

its not that an instrument can play that high in it's primary range it's the cascade of harmonics that are produced that can extend much much higher...

also some organs can probably cover that range too... as well as synths.. and of course feedback

not that i think it's a metric of how well you listen, just what your ears are biologically capable of. You can teach people to pick out things in music, but the colouration of our hearing is very much determined by biological systems.

I just thought it was interesting and wondered who else knew how high they could hear. :)

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_TX
              This chart has been posted on AVS before.
              Helpful for looking at some instrument FR ranges.

Mike
              Thanks, Mike. I looked briefly for a chart to go with my first post, but hunger overtook me. :stove: I will blow yours up a bit. http://www.psbspeakers.com/audio-top...ncies-of-Music

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
                Thanks, Mike. I looked briefly for a chart to go with my first post, but hunger overtook me. :stove: I will blow yours up a bit. http://www.psbspeakers.com/audio-top...ncies-of-Music
                Thanks.

Mike
                HT Gear (AVS Link)
                Rk: MA WR-37-32
                Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                BR: Oppo BDP-103
                Gm: 360 Pro
                LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

I've never gotten so high I cannot hear.... :raspberry:
                  "Let the floating wall float" - m-fine

Comment

That's what happened to me when I was approaching 50. :D
                    Originally posted by arthurs
                    Hugh
                    MELODY US Distributor
                    www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

just above my shoulders is about as high as I could get.
                      A knock at the door said "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" I thought it was a delivery.:biglaugh:

Comment

lol

A million comedians outta work and we're lucky enough to have you guys. :neener: :angel: :biglaugh: :assshake: :jiggy:

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by arthurs
                          I can in fact, hear and see things that NO ONE ELSE CAN! :smoke1: :brainiac:

Comment

When I was much younger I was tested in a lab and could hear up to about 25KHz.
                            I could actually hear a bats sonar chirp. Now I just try not to hear some people.

Comment

Using a B&K audio frequency generator borrowed from work.

A little over 18K when I was about 30

16k when I was about 40

12-13K now depending upon my sinus condition. :scratchchin:

Grrrr .... my wife can still hear 22-23K ... thought she was BS'ing, but she turned her back and indicated when she heard tones with a thumbs up response when I played them.

Guess she has small eardrums or something. :no clue:
                              :group: Long live draft beer and good old rock 'n roll :grinning:

Comment

Working...
                              X