Small rant, stupid FedEx shipping estimator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rant, stupid FedEx shipping estimator

Sorry for the tangential rant here, but FedEx and UPS have been chapping my hide of late. We are all aware of the...uhm...quality..of their shipping and care for packages. Lately though they have been killing me with their estimates being no where near what it is actually costing me to ship. On average, for boxes over 25 pounds, the online estimators have been underestimating by 23%.

On large shipments that starts to add up really fast. I do not ship often enough to have an account and get any kind of discount, and I have meticulously gone over every facet of their online estimator to make sure I am not missing something. The weights and container dimensions are the same when I take the item to the hub as what I measured and entered, if to a residence that is appropriately marked, the value is the same, address, etc.

Today I shipped two boxes that per online were supposed to cost $85.30. Instead the charge was $111.74. When I asked why the difference they couldn't give me an answer. When I then asked for a supervisor because I was ticked off that this is the trend for the last six months the reply was, "Well Sir, you do not have to ship with us." That's fricking great service right there, we lie about what we charge but you can go to the other guys who do it too.

I have gotten BS answers from their customer support like, "Well, the shipping calculator is a real time device so the charges are constantly changing." By great than 20% variance within an hour, and always for a higher amount. Hmm. Or, "Well, I can not replicate the amount that you were charged via the estimator." That's kind of my point there buddy. And my favorite, "you probably inputted something differently." That is why I have a screen shot printed out with all the info, to compare, oh wait. They're the same info! Useless people!

It makes it very hard if you are trying to estimate shipping and you have to add a 20% amount over what their systems estimate and have people believe you are not trying to just rip them off.

OK, rant over.

I completely agree with this rant.. I've seen the same thing, even with USPS shipping.. The "estimators" used online (and eBay) are consistantly lower than in-store mailing. I don't recall if I found this online or just "accepted it," but it seems they give you a discount online for you doing all the legwork (e.g. If you use PayPal to print out your USPS postage). I, however, like to take the package to the store to "make sure it's properly post-marked." This results in a higher charge, however.

So for eBay items for instance, I typically get my online quote, add an apropriate numbers of bucks for "handling" expenses, and go with it... Thankfully I don't have >$100 shipping expenses! Mine are usually $8-30 each..

So I'm will ya' man...

cheers,
    ..dane
    (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
    "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
    d&k's webpage

Comment

I use the online shipping through FedEx or Paypal (UPS & USPS) and generally the estimates are pretty close, provided I got the shipping weight correct.

I've had a couple instances where the estimate was a little low, but at worse have only been charged a few bucks more than the estimate.

I drop packages off at a FedEx or USP customer center and get a "receipt" when they scan it in... instead of taking it to just an authorized shipping location and dropping it off.

Comment

It sounds you are justifiably pissed off. That type of stuff drives me nuts. Typically, nobody is responsible...

Comment

Call the regional supervisor on the smart***. Report his actions and comments to you. That's no way to run a business.
          engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Comment

My experiences with FedEx has been exemplary.

You appear to ship more than I do and I've had a FedEx account for about 7 years. If you happen to be a USAA member—I am—you are eligible for discounts. My charges very closely track the amount shown when I prepare the shipping documents. I've had very good customer service from them and am, obviously, a happy FedEx camper.
            "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

Is the online shipping est. based on you doing everything online?

I know that online has been spot on, but I have an account and all I do is drop he box off at the fedex location.
              Kevin
              Motor City Custom Audio
              Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
              Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

I really haven't had much of a problem. But .......

Are you guys going to the real UPS site to get pricing, and then getting a detailed quote which also asks what the size of the box is?

That can make a big difference as we all know, size does matter.

And UPS like FedEx may charge a higher rate due to volume. Since the UPS people do this intrinsically, they might not comprehend where you are coming from.

Comment

I think those little mom and pop drop-off stores charge you more than an actual Fed-Ex/UPS drop-off location.
                  PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                  [email protected]

Comment

I highly recommend applying for a FedEx shipping account and printing your own labels from the comfort of home. I did this 7-8 years ago (when I was selling a fair amount of product on eBay) and it instantly made the shipping experience sssoooooo much better. I think the best part might be when I drop the box off at an authorized FedEx shipper there is no waiting in line to get the thing out...you can just drop it off behind the counter since it is all labeled up and ready to go. :kewl:

The discount is about 25% off compared to the counter rate; this does not even get into the crap that you are dealing with regarding the 'under-estimates' they are giving you. :eek: The estimate always matches what I am charged.

Plus, if you have your online account tied to an AMEX account for payment there is an additional 5% discount.

I like saving 30% on shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron smithski
                      I highly recommend applying for a FedEx shipping account and printing your own labels from the comfort of home. I did this 7-8 years ago (when I was selling a fair amount of product on eBay) and it instantly made the shipping experience sssoooooo much better. I think the best part might be when I drop the box off at an authorized FedEx shipper there is no waiting in line to get the thing out...you can just drop it off behind the counter since it is all labeled up and ready to go. :kewl:

The discount is about 25% off compared to the counter rate; this does not even get into the crap that you are dealing with regarding the 'under-estimates' they are giving you. :eek: The estimate always matches what I am charged.

Plus, if you have your online account tied to an AMEX account for payment there is an additional 5% discount.

I like saving 30% on shipping.
                      Yip, I 100% agree and have Fed-Ex, UPS and USPS accounts for all my shipping. Also, come Christmas, your wife will Love you since you can do all the shipping from home and get everything picked up too.

It's good to be the shipping king. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dwayland

It's good to be the shipping king. ;-)
                        LOL! Nice.

Derek, Aaron and all, thanks for the info on FedEx accounts, I am going to look into that. a potential 30% discount would be sweet. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X