Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody with a timepiece hobby/addiction?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody with a timepiece hobby/addiction?

    I just got a Lum-Tec M14($500) recently and just wanted to post to see if anybody else likes timepieces.
    http://www.lum-tec.com/2009/m-chrono-44mm.html#

    What timepieces do you guys wear or like? I would love to get a Paneria but they start around $6K and go up, out of my pricerange but maybe one day I will be able to afford one.
    http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...2&id_sezione=3






  • #2
    The styling is not to my taste but Lum-Tec makes some good watches. One of my friends has an M17 that suits him perfectly, it looks like this:

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2z5ptma&s=6

    I'm not exactly a horologist, but I'm slowly learning. My own preferences are Rolex Submariners and homages, Valjoux 7750-based chronographs, and pilot and marine watches. The Submariners get the most wrist time but I cycle through my collection pretty regularly.

    My Kermit gets the most wrist time:

    http://www.watches.co.uk/watch_pics/...LV-ro0188P.jpg

    You don't need deep pockets to enjoy the hobby, there are a number of smaller companies in the US, Germany, Japan, and Switzerland as well as the Chinese that offer well-made affordable timepieces.

    Comment


    • #3
      Depends on how you define addiction... :)

      The timepiece collecting hobby is a lot like audio - you can spend as little or as much as you want to. At the end of the day, the $10 watch is going to tell time as well as a Patek, JLC, IWC, Cartier, Panerai, etc. Buying a piece from one of the aforementioned manufacturer is more about enjoying the quality and intricacy of the piece, making a statement, etc.

      There's another thread in the family friendly section about gifting a watch that you may want to check out for some info from other forum members.

      I personnally bought a JLC Reverso Squadra GMT last August and couldn't be happier. I have a couple Rados and Movados as well, but my JLC gets the most wrist time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SomeCiscoGuy
        There's another thread in the family friendly section about gifting a watch that you may want to check out for some info from other forum members.
        Thanks I will check it out.

        Comment


        • #5
          I ended up with my grandfather's old pocket watch which is probably the coolest watch I have.





          I wear a Submariner that's pretty beat up at the moment and needs a new crystal.

          Comment


          • #6
            While getting the bracelet cleaned on my JLC I started looking around and ended up picking up a TW Steel for "beat it and don't worry about it" use. I was pleasantly surprised by the look and quality considering the low price, so for those of you looking for an under $1k piece, take a look at TW Steel. One of the drivers from the Indy 500 has a piece made with his name that really pops and it's just over 1k.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm a vintage Heuer (pre Tag) and Zenith fan myself.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've always appreciated a nice watch, but it's always been far enough down my priority list in terms of what to spend my money on that I never have anything nice. I'm currently wearing an ESQ I got for $50 on clearance at the Movado outlet. It looks decent and has incredibly accurate movement, but isn't much of a statement.

                I guess it's how some feel about audio. Nice, but not important enough to spend money on over other things.
                Angel City Audio
                East Street Audio

                ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not sure how many of you are racing fans, but the Indy driver I mentioned above is Dario Franchitti, who I got to meet at the Reis Nichols event promoting his new watch tonight...really nice guy, was pretty cool to meet a past winner and he qualified 3rd earlier today for this years race. He was great with the kids, attached a couple of photos of him with my son and daughter.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I probably have more than 20 watches, ranging from a Dakota I got at the mall for $80 (they just so happen to make them near where I live in Cincinnati). I've got "Tags" and Raymond Weil. I've got a Rado all ceramic watch.

                    I like automatics and lesser known watches......some from here....

                    http://www.debaufre.com/

                    Some from here....

                    https://www.121time.com/

                    A couple from here....

                    http://www.ballwatch.com/

                    So yeah....I probably have a problem with the hobby.:ufo:
                    About a pubic hair away from being banned!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Only have one. Raymond Weil. It's a tool used daily. Keeps time better than my digital alarm clock.

                      I own page TWO!! "thumbsup:
                      Some play hard to get, I play hard to want.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SomeCiscoGuy
                        Not sure how many of you are racing fans, but the Indy driver I mentioned above is Dario Franchitti, who I got to meet at the Reis Nichols event promoting his new watch tonight...really nice guy, was pretty cool to meet a past winner and he qualified 3rd earlier today for this years race. He was great with the kids, attached a couple of photos of him with my son and daughter.
                        Apparently my kids are good luck charms since Dario won! Way to go Dario!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by koa
                          I ended up with my grandfather's old pocket watch which is probably the coolest watch I have.





                          I wear a Submariner that's pretty beat up at the moment and needs a new crystal.
                          KOA, Nice watch! The case is known as a multi-colored fancy hunter box case. Chances are it is 14k solid. I could tell if you took pics of the stamp on the lid. Multicolor fancy hunter cases were the most expensive case a gent or lady could buy for their watch movement. Most watches were not sold as a whole unit. You would usually pick out a case and match it up with a watch movement. Its a good bet you have a 15 to 21 jewel movement inside. Elgin serial numbers are among the best documented if you want to find out when it was made. An old buddy of mine Wayne Schlitt put together a database online dedicated to Elgin watches http://www.schlitt.net/elgin/databases/index.html. There is a great deal of info on the other pages of his site. The pw in my user name stands for Pocket Watch. I have about 50 or 60 of em.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pwman
                            KOA, Nice watch! The case is known as a multi-colored fancy hunter box case. Chances are it is 14k solid. I could tell if you took pics of the stamp on the lid. Multicolor fancy hunter cases were the most expensive case a gent or lady could buy for their watch movement. Most watches were not sold as a whole unit. You would usually pick out a case and match it up with a watch movement. Its a good bet you have a 15 to 21 jewel movement inside. Elgin serial numbers are among the best documented if you want to find out when it was made. An old buddy of mine Wayne Schlitt put together a database online dedicated to Elgin watches http://www.schlitt.net/elgin/databases/index.html. There is a great deal of info on the other pages of his site. The pw in my user name stands for Pocket Watch. I have about 50 or 60 of em.
                            Wow, thanks for the info! Next time I'm at the bank I'll get it out of the safe deposit box and look it up. It was serviced (since it wasn't running), about 5 years ago at a local watch repair that seemed competent, but it hasn't run much since.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              New addition

                              I added an Oris Flight Timer r4118 to my collection over the weekend, number 905 of the 4118 made. I'll add some pictures later on, but it's a nice casual piece to add to my collection and will be a good travel watch.

                              Here's a link: http://www.oris.ch/collections/colle...n=en&archive=1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X