Master Plumbers beware.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Plumbers beware.....

The quadman is in 'da house (or under the sink)....

Well, we left off here....

Then needing to get the chrome waste pipe out and saw through the brass threaded fitting in several spots. DAMN that brass was HARD....

Whew.... I FINALLY got that fitting out. After sawing several notches into the fitting, being scared ****less the whole time of getting into the threads, I was able to use a large flat head screw driver and pound them out. Keeping in mind I had to be careful as hell not to break my new sink from the bottom on the back stroke of my hammer blows....

Did I have enough tools to do the job?!? It's a good thing I'm nearly 50# lighter than I was.... I barely had enough room to work under there. Now I know why plumbers make $50 - $75 an hour, they EARN it....

Cavity filled with foam insulation ready for the new PVC fitting....

Sigh.... all together and nary a leak! I got a little carried away with the foam though. Gonna have to cut that back a bit when it finishes expanding. And this was the stuff that wasn't supposed to expand much. :saywhat:

Damn, that was a lot of work for this old :geezer:.
    John W.
    Indy

Good job! Congrats.

Comment

Nice work, John..

I am almost afraid to ask -- I don't see the "cover plate" in your picture. I assume it's easy enough to disconnect the PVC joints and slip that back on after the foam's sliced back?

And a simple question-- are you assuming the foam will "contain" any future leaks? I'm not sure why you needed the foam as I don't think it's water-tight, is it?

cheers!
      ..dane
      (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
      "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
      d&k's webpage

Comment

I bet you feel good now. "thumbsup:

My grandmother has portions of her sprinkler system that are like 50 year old galvanized pipe. Usually takes me at least an hour to get one of those fittings loose, or should I say destroyed and removed...

Comment

BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!

:clapper:

Comment

Nice piece of work, quad.
            Originally posted by dane
            I am almost afraid to ask -- I don't see the "cover plate" in your picture. I assume it's easy enough to disconnect the PVC joints and slip that back on after the foam's sliced back?
            Depending on the escutcheon plate he's got, he may be planning to use a two-piece deal that fits around the pipe after the pipe is in place.

(That's right, I called it an escutcheon plate - big fancy word, which I only know how to spell because I've written enough mechanical punch lists over the years to get lots of practice at it...)

Or he may just tidy up the foam and say "I quit!" :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dane

And a simple question-- are you assuming the foam will "contain" any future leaks? I'm not sure why you needed the foam as I don't think it's water-tight, is it?
              I put the foam in because I had scrapped the foam insulation out to get a look at the pipe. My parents had foam insulation put in the walls like thirty years ago before they banned the stuff for a while because it was full of formaldehyde. They've changed it now but back then you had to leave the house for a day while the stuff "cured." So, it's only there for insulation purposes not to contain any future leaks. Cause there.... WON'T BE ANY! God I HOPE not anyway.... :whew:

Originally posted by gonk
              Nice piece of work, quad.

Depending on the escutcheon plate he's got, he may be planning to use a two-piece deal that fits around the pipe after the pipe is in place.

(That's right, I called it an escutcheon plate - big fancy word, which I only know how to spell because I've written enough mechanical punch lists over the years to get lots of practice at it...)

Or he may just tidy up the foam and say "I quit!" :)
              Thanks....

And as for any "escutcheon plate".... I think I'm just gonna touch up the foam (I've already trimmed it) with the paint I used and call it a day. I bought a nice metal wall patch kit and a 3" hole saw to cut a hole for the drain, but I said forget it. I'll just paint the foam and be done with it. Hell, I may not even paint the foam as I think about it. It's under the vanity and won't be seen....

FWIW, I just installed the drain stopper and lift, ran a sink full of water and drained it.... bone dry.

:woo: :woo: :woo:
              John W.
              Indy

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
                I bet you feel good now. "thumbsup:
                I DO indeed Don.... Thanks.
                John W.
                Indy

Comment

Originally posted by phipp01
                  BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!

:clapper:
                  Thanks so much phipp.... and THANKS again for all of your efforts in the help thread....
                  John W.
                  Indy

Comment

Congratulations John.

Son of a ***** - that's an elbow!

Sorry for the agita.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                      Congratulations John.

Son of a ***** - that's an elbow!

Sorry for the agita.
                      Yeah Jack.... I thought you knew that.... LOL Oh well.... thatks again SO MUCH for your efforts and offer of free tool rental in the 911 thread. You're a GREAT friend and always around it seems when I need a bit of advice. Once again my friend.... THANK YOU.
                      John W.
                      Indy

Comment

Way you go, John! I suspect a plumber would have a special tool that would make that fitting jump off the drain pipe. :p
                        "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

Originally posted by rsa
                          Way you go, John! I suspect a plumber would have a special tool that would make that fitting jump off the drain pipe. :p
                          LOL.... but, actually Stewart, I don't think so. I talked to a couple of plumbers who were at the local wholesale supply house this morning. I had taken the picture of that brass fitting with my first couple of cuts in it.... to see if I was doing the right thing (as the retired plumber told me to do last night at Lowes). It took like almost an hour to make those first two teeny tiny cuts.

So, I printed off that picture and took it over just to be sure. Everyone laughed and said, yeah.... been there, done that. But that I needed to cut "v" notches, not just straight cuts and it would come out easier. I then cut those first two cuts into v's and then two more and started beating it with the hammer and screw driver. Once I got the first two out, the other two came out pretty easily.
                          John W.
                          Indy

Comment

Originally posted by quadman
                            Yeah Jack.... I thought you knew that.... LOL ........
                            I originally thought it was some type of funky tee that use a slip coupling with the "nut" for the sink leg. Then when you said it wasn't a nut, I still thought it was a tee, continuing up as a vent stack.

So I went to bed last night thinking about IF you had cut that thread area what would I have had to load up in the truck a) if it was only a vent stack; b) if continues to another floor with more waste connections.

But an elbow .. . that would have been easy to replace if you followed my F'd U instructions.

Yesterday when I was fixing Leslie's shop sink I was taking pictures for a pictorial for you. Would not have helped!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well I don't think those master plumbers are scared for their jobs. Well done...

Comment

Working...
                              X