No announcement yet.

Need a little plumbing help please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little plumbing help please....

Ok, cut off the old P-trap and bought a new one. The 1-1/4" pipe coming out of the wall has a raw end (where I cut the old trap off). I originally used a 1-1/4" slip joint coupling to attach the new trap. It leaked from the back nut of the slip joint coupling that went over the old pipe coming from the wall. So, I went and purchased a rubber slip joint coupling with screw down clamps on each end instead of nuts. I placed the rubber over each end of my pipe (coming from the wall and the new p-trap) and tightened it down and had the same results. It's leaking like a sieve at that back joint.

Any thoughts???

I can try to post pics if you need them. Although, I don't know about the light under the vanity.
    John W.
    Indy

Ok.... a few pics....

Old pipe coming from the wall with new P-trap installed....

Both couplings I've tried....

With the rubber coupling attached and tightened down....

Each coupling installed leaked at the back joint or over where the old pipe comes from the wall into the coupling.

Any and all advice is appreciated. :no clue:
    John W.
    Indy

Comment

John,

Is the pipe in the wall plugged? From the pic that show that pipe, it looks blocked. Also that pipe looks bent up, I've had better luck when the pipes aren't out of round. I'm no plumber but have muddled through my own house.

Comment

No, it's not plugged at all, the photo was shot on a bit of an angle and the discoloration of the inside of the pipe does make it appear to be blocked. And yes, it's not perfectly round....
        John W.
        Indy

Comment

It could be that it got out of round or dented when you cut it. What is behind the wall? Is the wall flange removable? It should be. If it is you might be able to remove the dented pipe and replace with a new one. Do you know if your drains are ABS behind the wall? I'm not sure why that pipe is dented the way it is but if you torqued it around a lot cutting it off you might have also loosened up the connection inside the wall. It would be worth looking under the flange with a flashlight when you have everything hooked up to make sure nothing is dripping inside the wall. I thought usually the drain to all of the p-trap connection is on the interior side (side with the sink) of the wall. On undamaged pipe either of those fittings should work.

Comment

Originally posted by quadman
            Ok, cut off the old P-trap and bought a new one. The 1-1/4" pipe coming out of the wall has a raw end (where I cut the old trap off). I originally used a 1-1/4" slip joint coupling to attach the new trap. It leaked from the back nut of the slip joint coupling that went over the old pipe coming from the wall. So, I went and purchased a rubber slip joint coupling with screw down clamps on each end instead of nuts. I placed the rubber over each end of my pipe (coming from the wall and the new p-trap) and tightened it down and had the same results. It's leaking like a sieve at that back joint.

Any thoughts???

I can try to post pics if you need them. Although, I don't know about the light under the vanity.

John - if it was me, I'd cut your pipe back further (with a pipe cutter)
            to a get a smooth, unbent transition.
            I'd also use the original slip joint coupling. I can't see how you are
            goint to get a good connection without gettting rid of that bent area.
            Just imo -
            M

Comment

If you pull out the flange there should be a compression fitting with a large nut where the chrome pipe is attached. You should be able to get rid of that little piece of chrome pipe and then you won't need the flexible joint. At the worst get rid of the kink and throw on a little of this stuff

I use it on anything that is giving me a hard time.

Comment

JOhn,

I'm not use to seeing the thin gauge pipping coming out of the main stack or line like that. Here you would have either black iron or Black ABS out of the wall and transition to that.

Those thin gauge pipes are so easy to get out of round; even the compression fitting won't seal well.

If you pull the escutcheon off the wall as previously mentioned you might see what your dealing with.

Comment

Actually, that trim ring up against the wall is brand new. I replaced the old one. There isn't any type of connection or fitting inside the drywall or at least anything that can be seen. I didn't install my dishwasher and garbage disposer when I had them installed several years ago. As I remember it now, the plumber (or hook up dude) had the same problem when he installed a new trap at the kitchen sink. He ended up using some sort of special coupling that was a rubber clamp on one end and a compression fitting on the other to connect to the new trap. Maybe I'll run by the wholesale plumbing supply house tomorrow morning.

Yeah, I bent that pipe when I went to cut it. I thought my pipe cutter was for cutting chrome drain pipes, but I think it was actually for copper. Because as soon as I tightened it down and started trying to cut it.... it just dented up the pipe. I cut off the worst of it, but I could also cut it back farther. Of course, I'll need to buy another p-trap then because it will be too short. Sigh.... oh well. At least my grout in the shower looks good. Pics will be up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys....
                  John W.
                  Indy

Comment

I've run into those types of pipes where I truly believe that the only thing holding them together and in shape was the chrome plating on the outside.

I would really love to know what and how that pipe is connected to your waste line.

Maybe you could just teat out that vanity ......:saywhat:

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys
                      I've run into those types of pipes where I truly believe that the only thing holding them together and in shape was the chrome plating on the outside.

I would really love to know what and how that pipe is connected to your waste line.

I'll pop that trim ring in the morning Jack and see if I can rig a flashlight to light up where it goes through the drywall and see if we can see how it connects. Because, honestly I have no idea....
                      John W.
                      Indy

Comment

John ... did you pour yourself a nice drink ?

[]:)

Comment

Hey John, lord knows I am no expert but I don't think you can do it that way. You need a fitting that goes on the outside on the supply side and then goes inside the connecting pipe on the outlet side with a collar to tighten it up. Don't know if that makes sense, but the way you are trying to do it won't work. Do you have a local plumbing supply store (a real one not home depot) they should be able to hook you up with the right parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys

Should be like this. Beside c there is a nut which should be behind the chrome flange. Looks like Indy plumbers might be fancy though and do those connections in the wall... Convenient...

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
                              John ... did you pour yourself a nice drink ?

[]:)
                              Is this like a word association? When someone says plumbing you automatically think : "drink!"

Comment

Working...
                              X