Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we let my kids friends jump on our Trampoline???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we let my kids friends jump on our Trampoline???

My parents got my kids a trampoline for Christmas this year and since then, we have NOT allowed ANY of my kids friends to play on it for fear of them getting hurt and us getting sued.

My kids ask me every weekend, "NOW can our friends play on the trampoline."
    It's getting really old and I DON'T want to give in just because I am tired of hearing it. The second I do, I fear that somebody is going to get hurt.

What should I do?

1. IF we were to allow it, at least one adult would always be watching. (Not that it would matter if somebody did get hurt on our watch, but at least we could say in a court of law that we were watching, making sure that nothing stupid was going on.)

2. Allow it and look into additional insurance to protect ourselves just in case?

3. Do I stay the course? No, means No.

Am I being too :nervous: for no good reason?

Thanks for any advise on this situation.

Derek

We tore ours down last summer for this exact reason.

I would at least have a conversation with each child's parents and go over your concerns. You could also have a waiver form, but that might make some uncomfortable.

Good Luck :salute:
    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

When I was a kid our neighbor had one and frankly it's a wonder I'm still alive given how many times I should have killed myself. As it was I ended up knocking out 2 front teeth and breaking an arm. Unless you have one of those in-ground versions with lots of padding around the outside... don't do it.

Comment

No waiver, no jumping. You have too much to lose and nothing to gain.

Comment

Yeah, I just have been reading that we could lose ALL of our insurance just by having it in 1st place. If our house burns down and the insurance adjuster sees the trampoline in the back yard, they can deny our claim and cancel ALL of our insurance.

One of our neighbors trees is leaning on our fence and has damaged it. We were going to call to file a small claim, but now, NO WAY!

Anybody in the Raleigh want a trampoline for cheap?

Not good at all...

Comment

My insurance company specifically asked me about a trampoline when I first got the policy.
            With a shovel...

Comment

Originally posted by dwayland
              Yeah, I just have been reading that we could lose ALL of our insurance just by having it in 1st place. If our house burns down and the insurance adjuster sees the trampoline in the back yard, they can deny our claim and cancel ALL of our insurance.
              I would verify that with your insurance agent. I am pretty sure that is not (no longer) legal in some states. You also may be able to declare it and get a rider policy.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
                I would verify that with your insurance agent. I am pretty sure that is not (no longer) legal in some states. You also may be able to declare it and get a rider policy.
                Will do. Thanks for the advise.

Needless to say, the kids are pretty upset at the notion of us getting rid of it. So am I, they have really had a ball out there and have really gotten into shape. I have even been acting like a kid again on it.

D

Comment

Assuming you do end up keeping it--perhaps you could look into a safety enclosure?

Something like this? The reviews for that particular one are pretty bad, but I'm sure there are much better ones out there. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about kids jumping all the way off the trampoline, so that's one of the risks minimized/eliminated.

Comment

This is just sad. I have a policy with these guys and just pretend that we live in a normal country. I am not willing to live in fear regardless of how stupid that makes me. :sigh:
                    http://www.prepaidlegal.com/

Comment

Dwayland,

I was the "bad dad" who would not allow a trampoline to even be owned much less allow friends on it. My kids survived their "deprived" childhood just fine.
                      Randy
                      Wilson Sophia 2/BAT VK-600SE/BAT VK-52SE/BAT VK-5DSE/Fathom 113 x2/Emotiva DMC-1 and MPS-1/Oppo BDP-83 SE/Exact Power/SMS-1 bass equalizer

Comment

Originally posted by zworykin
                        Assuming you do end up keeping it--perhaps you could look into a safety enclosure?

Something like this? The reviews for that particular one are pretty bad, but I'm sure there are much better ones out there. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about kids jumping all the way off the trampoline, so that's one of the risks minimized/eliminated.
                        We have the inclosure, much like the one you linked to. Even I, in my hugeness can ram into it and it shoves me back into the middle of the trampoline. It works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by chessman
                          Dwayland,

I was the "bad dad" who would not allow a trampoline to even be owned much less allow friends on it. My kids survived their "deprived" childhood just fine.
                          Yeah, my parents restricted my friends from swimming in our pool when I was in high school, which really stank, with the exception of a couple prom nights that is. :whistle:

I too, turned out "ok."

Comment

Sorry but I just had to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZ624wBVA

Comment

Originally posted by sanjaygolf
                              lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X