There are many friends in need, so we will help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are many friends in need, so we will help

This is from the Bosshole ... this thread will still have meaning. This started because Jack wanted to quietly see if we could help our Quadman during a tough time. Quadman, this may embarass you, but live with it, because your reaction was inpiring. You see, guys, Quad asked me to not have anything sent to him because so many others are in much greater need.

So ... as Quad asked for, Any funds people wish to send will be placed into the hands of Feeding America (formerly Second Harvest food bank) to help them deliver food this holiday season.

Susan and I will match all donations up to $5000. This means a potential of $10,000 to the Feeding America people, which means 90,000 pounds of food will be delivered to needy families this winter.

Jack, Quad ... THANK YOU for this.

Bosshole (aka craigsub)

You can find info on Feeding America here:

http://feedingamerica.org/

Comment

Thank you Craig. I knew you would come up with a solution.

Jack my friend.... when one cares enough to do what you did, it touched me in a very special way indeed. Just the idea that you (or anyone for that matter) cared enough to say, hey.... let's help our friend out.... well, means more than any amount of $$$ ever could. The friendships we forged through the years over at the other place and continued here are something special indeed. I'm not sure the internet has ever seen anything quite like what we had over there and may never see anything quite like it again.

Losing your job because the company you work for goes out of business sucks. The fact that it happens so close to Christmas isn't good for certain. And yeah, the medical bills are gonna be a ***** when they all come in. Having no insurance will make it doubly difficult indeed. But, you know what? I have a roof over my head, my house is warm and comfy, there is plenty of food in the fridge, my girls have everything they need, the Mrs still has her job and I'm on the mend. So things aren't nearly as bad as they could be for sure. They generally have a way of working out in the end. I have no doubts they will in this instance as well. It may take some time, but that's okay we'll find a way.

So, once again.... thank you for thinking about me and my situation. It touched me deeply.
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

I'm missing something here. Quadman lost his job?

Comment

I think your response and perspective sum up why those of us who hang out here and have gotten to "know you" a bit care about you John, beautifully said, all of it. Well done all of you who got this rolling, I'll be donating over the weekend and am really glad to see our little community here coming together this way, good stuff.
          "Let the floating wall float" - m-fine

Comment

Originally posted by django1
            I'm missing something here. Quadman lost his job?
            Yeah Stephen.... Jack (TooManyToys) gave me a call yesterday to see how I was getting along. During our conversation, I told him of the other wonderful news I received on Monday. The company I worked for.... that had been in business since 1945.... was shutting its doors effective immediately. Already aware of the fact that I had lost my health insurance several years ago and going to have to deal with this recent hospital stay out of pocket, now losing my job less than six weeks before Christmas, well, I guess he contacted Craig and asked if he could ask the community to "help out" with Craig clearing the funds to eliminate any chance of impropriaty what so ever. Craig agreed and this thread was born.

I immediately objected to Jack and Craig saying that I appreciated the gesture and thought, but that there were far more folks with a lot more "need" than the quadman. Jack graciously took the post down (well, atleast changed it to say that he was "contemplating" changing it.... LOL) and then Craig changed Jack's first post and said what he said about the food bank. If you missed Jack's original post (before he and then Craig changed it).... all of this would be sort of confusing I suppose. :shiftyeyes:

Anyway.... like I said.... I'll recover, things are not desparate yet here at the quadman abode. When the medical bills all come in, we will negotiate with the hospital to come up with a final tally. I'm hoping they will work with us. Well, I'm counting on it. But, if they don't.... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. As for the job thing? Well, once I recover a little, I can always work somewhere. So if I don't or can't find something that suits me right away, I can deliver Pizza's if I need to until I do. :yes:

So, in the end I asked that any donations be made to a worthy cause other than the quadman and Craig set up the food bank thing. Or if folks would rather do something close to home, possibly their favorite church or local shelter who always seem to come through for those in need all through out the year.... that would be ubber cool as well. :woo:
            John W.
            Indy

Comment

Originally posted by arthurs
              I think your response and perspective sum up why those of us who hang out here and have gotten to "know you" a bit care about you John, beautifully said, all of it. Well done all of you who got this rolling, I'll be donating over the weekend and am really glad to see our little community here coming together this way, good stuff.
              My thoughts exactly.

Comment

John,

I don't know if I've ever talked to you personally or even directly on the forums, but as a relatively long-time member of both AV123 and TCA, I've come to know you well enough, I think, anyway. I really just wanted to say how great a man you are to have responded as you did. there are not many people who are in desperate need of things who can do what you did and say, "I've still go a lot going for me... help other people if you get a chance." The sheer optimism you bring to the table for the rest of this community is astounding. Thank you for that.... truly, thank you.

Comment

Once again I see it's up to me to provide the contrarian point of view.

Mom was right, trying to help someone just turns out bad …… Sorry John, I was trying not to turn this into a spotlight on you.

Comment

Mom was right, trying to help someone just turns out bad
                    Don't look at it that way my friend. Your efforts will more than likely help many, MANY more than just the one you originally intended. And, IMHO.... that's a GOOD thing.

Sorry John, I was trying not to turn this into a spotlight on you.
                    Yeah, I know.... sorry. But, it was all too obvious who the "who" was in your original post and like it or not, the spotlight was immediately turned on. I sincerely appreciate what you were doing Jack. And I also understand it was about helping my family more than it was about me. But, when I showed the Mrs your post.... without ANY prior prompting from me, she had the exact same reaction that I did. She said, and I quote.... "They don't need to do that. They can send donations to the American Cancer Society or something.... we'll work things out somehow."

So, I hope I haven't offended YOU in any way my friend. But those are our wishes at this point. Please believe me when I say.... just knowing that I have a friend who cares enough to do what you did.... is worth more than anything. I truly mean that.

And, that reaching through the phone thingie? Pure metiphorically speaking of course. :p
                    John W.
                    Indy

Comment

Yes, you have to understand my sense of humor. Mom never said that but I could only hear your hand hitting the mouthpiece trying to come through.

Comment

Wow John, quite a string of bad luck ( the bil or was it sil thing, the basement flooding, your health and now this) !! You certainly are an example of grace under fire... And I notice your "cig sig" hasn't changed:thumbsup:...

Comment

Wow, I don't know what to say, my friend. First the heart issue and now this. I know things are tough out there but this hits so close to home.

I'll try to touch base with you this weekend.

Comment

And I notice your "cig sig" hasn't changed...
                            Nope.... still a non-smoker. :woo: I still "reach" for them all the time and crave one terribly now and then, but I simply can NOT smoke even one. I just can't.
                            John W.
                            Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenfeet
                              Wow, I don't know what to say, my friend. First the heart issue and now this. I know things are tough out there but this hits so close to home.

I'll try to touch base with you this weekend.
                              Actually Rick the heart is fine.... it was severe pneumonia that led to everything nearly shutting down.

Sure.... give me a call.
                              John W.
                              Indy

Comment

Working...
                              X