X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • django1
    None
    • Jan 2009

Silly question about skinny towers

I must have missed this when it actually happened, but when and why did speakers stop being short and squat with big woofers to tall and skinny with no woofer to speak of? When I was younger, we would get some pretty impressive thumping out of our 12 in woofers...
  • Sandbagger
    Strippers are really just summa cum laude in training.
    • Jan 2009

The same reason everyone likes skinny chicks these days?

look at what were considered beautiful women of the 50's and 60's, they would be considered large by todays standards
    Kevin
    Motor City Custom Audio
    Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
    Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

• Stereodude
      TCA's Resident Biatch
      • Feb 2008

It typically has to do with minimizing the baffle width for acoustic reasons.
      With a shovel...

Comment

• Sandbagger
        Strippers are really just summa cum laude in training.
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Stereodude
        It typically has to do with minimizing the baffle width for acoustic reasons.
        yea that too:thumbsup::yes:
        Kevin
        Motor City Custom Audio
        Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
        Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

• Cujobob
          • Feb 2008

Skinny speakers have less diffraction (soundwaves bouncing off of the cabinet smearing the signal), they generally have better WAF (less noticeable), and are also lighter for shipping purposes. Many manufacturers like to use smaller woofers for various reasons...generally, liking a specific type of driver (Seas, Scanspeak, etc.) though large woofers can sound incredible and IMO offer much better dynamics that trump anything they give up to a smaller driver in detail.

They're taller because the internal volume of the speaker is still required to be the same, since they're skinnier, it has to be much greater depth or height.
          "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Comment

• mlbrand
            • Feb 2009

All the above, as well as because powered sub-woofers emerged with 12"+ drivers that could be positioned optimally for the best low end frequency response.

Comment

• dvenardos
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Sandbagger
              Emphasizing the cleavage from the fake boobs? :snaggletooth:

Comment

• Monkeypimp
                • Mar 2008

It probably also doesn't hurt in getting the tweeter up to ear level instead of sitting on the ground.....

I wish I had pics from college with my speakers sitting on milk crates....ugly ugly ugly.

Comment

• woofersus
                  • May 2008

The abilities of those small drivers have also come a long way in the last 30 years. My RS450's go down to 37hz with two 5.25" drivers! Given the ability to make speakers smaller, lighter, and more attractive for a given level of performance, why not do it? The emergence of affordable powered subwoofers has also played a role, but in the world of high end 2-channel, subs are still largely persona non grata. (even though I tend to disagree)

Even in the pro audio world, you don't really see refrigerator sized cabinets anymore. Some of the best stuff I've heard involved skinny line arrays with flown 15's next to them and subs on the ground below.
                  Angel City Audio
                  East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

• django1
                    None
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sandbagger

look at what were considered beautiful women of the 50's and 60's, they would be considered large by todays standards
                    Kevin, are you sure selling audio gear is the right line of work for you?:poke:... :)

To the rest of you serious guys: thanks for the info...

Comment

• busen19
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mlbrand
                      All the above, as well as because powered sub-woofers emerged with 12"+ drivers that could be positioned optimally for the best low end frequency response.

good point

Comment

• diamonddelts
                        • Sep 2010

i still run nothing but big towers in my system. But then again I've never been one to subscribe to what the mainstream is doing in any facet of my life.
                        I came, I saw, I purchased.

Comment

Working...