Is this a good deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good deal

I just found this and not sure if it's a deal or not.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...t.l.google.com

Any input is appreciated.
    Hugh
    MELODY US Distributor
    www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Originally posted by Hugh
    I just found this and not sure if it's a deal or not.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...t.l.google.com

Any input is appreciated.
    Yes if you truly want/need a 'netbook'.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the usefullness of them.
    There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
    -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Agreed.

I used to lug around a 17" laptop when I travelled and it's just killing my shoulder being an old skinny guy. :)

Originally posted by etcarroll
      Yes if you truly want/need a 'netbook'.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the usefullness of them.
      Hugh
      MELODY US Distributor
      www.angelcityaudio.com

A man is only as good as his words.

Comment

It'll be really slow. It doesn't even have an Atom processor.
        With a shovel...

Comment

Of course, it has more than twice the original spec for XP, so if you are just using it for internet/email it may be just fine.
          Originally posted by Stereodude
          It'll be really slow. It doesn't even have an Atom processor.

Comment

Keep in mind that the hard drive is solid state and comes with only 16 GB. You'll run out of memory really quickly. Consider getting one with at least 160 GB.
            PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
            [email protected]

Comment

My netbook w/ an Atom drives me nuts! It's such a dog. It might be more than the original spec for XP, but it still sucks. :p

I can't wait to sell it.
              With a shovel...

Comment

Here's something from BestBuy's outlet (not sure if it is a refurb unit or not) for $280. I'm sure the tech guys can chime in and dissect the specs for you :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218095770701
                PhenomeNhan Audio Video

Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                [email protected]

Comment

I'd probably spend the extra $80, although I'm not sure that's the best deal around at a mere $20 off. If you go atom, make sure it's the dual core model. A SSD will restrict storage greatly, but will also extend battery life and be quite a bit more responsive than a 5400rpm drive. That's gonna mostly depend on what the purpose is. If you want to stick 80GB of lossless music on it to listen to on the road, the SSD won't work. If you just want to surf the net, check email, type notes, listen to pandora, etc. then the SSD might be a nice boost in speed.
                  Angel City Audio
                  East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

There are no dual core Atom netbooks.
                    With a shovel...

Comment

Originally posted by Stereodude
                      There are no dual core Atom netbooks.
                      I stand corrected. I've not really shopped for netbooks, but I've looked at Atom based systems for a variety for reasons and the dual core ones obliterate the single core ones. I don't really know what an Atom netbook's real world performance is like.

I bought a standard laptop, but with a 14" screen for portability rather than the more typical 15". It cost more than something uber-portable, but I wanted to do multitrack recording on-location with mine so I needed a bit more juice. It's a Lenovo T400, and I've been pretty happy with it FWIW.
                      Angel City Audio
                      East Street Audio

ACA, Melody, Onix, NuForce, KR Audio

Comment

Anyone try one of the netbooks with linux loaded on it instead of windows? As I recall the linux version was supposed to be pretty usable.

Comment

Originally posted by PhenomeNhan
                          Keep in mind that the hard drive is solid state and comes with only 16 GB. You'll run out of memory really quickly. Consider getting one with at least 160 GB.
                          I picked up this one http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product900hd-spec.html for my wife For $169 and she loves it. Unfortunately I haven't seen it advertised since.
                          Apparently you just got hypothetically banned by the unnamed new mods for the AV123.com forum that are working to clean the forums up on a forum that is currently closed. Sucks to be you :bite me:

Comment

The 8' display and keyboard is very small I would suggest the 10" models.
                            engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Comment

Hugh,

I have the ASUS EEEPC with the Atom processor, 1GByte of memory and 160GBtye drive. This one has the 10.1' display. Was $299 at Best Buy.

Using it for email, music server and development system.

The 802.11(n) WiFi works well with my D-Link N system at home.

As long as I use it with AC power for the music server it is fine. Battery power gives audio replay glitches. The Stello U2 USB to S/PDIF converter is working well with external DAC's.
                              Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

Working...
                              X