TV Calibration DVD - Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Calibration DVD - Recommendations?

Anyone have a suggestion for a Calibration DVD? I have a Samsung HL67A750 Rear Projection unit hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR876 (which is ISF certified) and I just want to tweak it a bit and see what I can get out of it. Not looking for something professional like having a guy come over and having to pay $400 or so.

I've heard good things about AVIA and the Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray disc. Anyone heard of the Monster/ISF DVD?

Right now I'm leaning on the Digital Video Essentials..

Don't know anything about the Monster Disc. I've fooled with both AVIA II and DVE Blu-Ray. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I prefer DVE. I think it's a bit more difficult to navigate, but once you "get it," I like it's features. There are certainly many who prefer AVIA, so just go with the one you think you'd like better.
    Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
      Don't know anything about the Monster Disc. I've fooled with both AVIA II and DVE Blu-Ray. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I prefer DVE. I think it's a bit more difficult to navigate, but once you "get it," I like it's features. There are certainly many who prefer AVIA, so just go with the one you think you'd like better.
      thanks for the response! I ordered the DVE Blu-Ray. It's a fraction of the AVIA, and if I ordered by noon it'll be here Friday. Woohoo Amazon Prime!

Comment

Let us know what you think. I have the original AVIA disk (very dated in some ways), and while the audio calibration portion is great, I have a hard time getting meaningful results from the video portion.

Comment

The disappointing part is that an audio is much simpler and more effective than a video calibration.

Don't get me wrong. TVs mostly come from the factory in "torch" mode and setting them to one of the other choices AND using a video calibration disc will yield noticeable improvements. Where video calibration shines is when an experienced, professional calibator gets into the TV service menu and employs tools that most folks don't have access to or apprpriate knowledge to use. This generally yields stunning results, but comes at a price.

BTW, you might also google or search AVS with something like "HL67A750 settings" and see what other folks have gotten with their calibration efforts.
          Ray

Comment

Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition

Originally posted by blackzarg
            Anyone have a suggestion for a Calibration DVD? I have a Samsung HL67A750 Rear Projection unit hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR876 (which is ISF certified) and I just want to tweak it a bit and see what I can get out of it. Not looking for something professional like having a guy come over and having to pay $400 or so.

I've heard good things about AVIA and the Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray disc. Anyone heard of the Monster/ISF DVD?

Right now I'm leaning on the Digital Video Essentials..
            You can also look at...

Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition

Link

It comes with the Oppo BDP83 BR player, so there may be some for sale by people as well.

Mike
            HT Gear (AVS Link)
            Rk: MA WR-37-32
            Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
            Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
            Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
            Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
            BR: Oppo BDP-103
            Gm: 360 Pro
            LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
            S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
            Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
            Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
            Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
            TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

One more note - I don't know how useful they are, but HDNet occasionally runs HD test patterns for your set. Just set the DVR to record them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Wadsworth
                One more note - I don't know how useful they are, but HDNet occasionally runs HD test patterns for your set. Just set the DVR to record them.
                Heh, it's a bit shameful, but I don't own a DVR! :embarass:

The DVE Blu Ray should be here tomorrow, though!

Comment

Alrighty, so over the weekend I got to play with the DVE HD Essentials disk. Overall, it was a pretty smooth process. The menu was not as much of a nightmare as all the reviews said, although some stuff was "buried" underneath.

I enjoyed all the informative history, but people are right - the narrator does become pretty monotonous. The information, however, is crystal clear.

I had already tweaked my TV before using others' settings from AVSForum, so the calibration was pretty close to what others had. However, my family and I have all noticed subtle differences (improvements) to what it was before.

Good $15 spent! Now time to do the cheapo Sceptre 46" LCD in my college apartment...

Comment

Originally posted by blackzarg
                    Alrighty, so over the weekend I got to play with the DVE HD Essentials disk. Overall, it was a pretty smooth process. The menu was not as much of a nightmare as all the reviews said, although some stuff was "buried" underneath.

I enjoyed all the informative history, but people are right - the narrator does become pretty monotonous. The information, however, is crystal clear.

I had already tweaked my TV before using others' settings from AVSForum, so the calibration was pretty close to what others had. However, my family and I have all noticed subtle differences (improvements) to what it was before.

Good $15 spent! Now time to do the cheapo Sceptre 46" LCD in my college apartment...
                    I tried with with my Scepter 46" LCD (Model 46BV-FULLHD) and it made a world of a difference. The factory setting of the Sceptre was pretty horrendous, and when I showed my roommates the before and after, they were very impressed. This DVD rocks!

Comment

Working...
                    X