New Beatles Remastered CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Beatles Remastered CD

I see two new Box sets coming out Sept 9th. One in Mono (more expensive) and one in stereo(about $100 less). I'm curious as to why the price difference. Amazon is sold out of the pre-order of the mono set.

Originally posted by uw69
    I see two new Box sets coming out Sept 9th. One in Mono (more expensive) and one in stereo(about $100 less). I'm curious as to why the price difference. Amazon is sold out of the pre-order of the mono set.
    Looks like the Mono set is a limited edition of 500 (I think that's the number). If they do issue more of the mono's, there's an extra disc of video or something that won't come with the new issue.

This is based on memory, I read it a few days ago, skimming over it mostly. So may not be exactly right. But I DO know the Mono set is limited edition at least.....
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about?!

Kinky Tom!

Comment

Don't forget Beatles: Rock Band game comes out that day too. I'm not sure which idea came first, but I'm guessing all the remastering work required for the Beatles: Rock Band led to the release of this new set rather than the other way around.

Comment

Mono box set is the way to go on this. Just noticed price down to under $160 on Amazon if you're in the market.

Comment

I'm not sure if I have ever heard a mono recording on my system? How is the soundstage layed out on a mono recording? Is everything equal L and R channels so everything summed to center? Vocals center and some instruments L channel and some R channel? Does it sound natural if all I have heard is stereo? Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in getting one of the box sets, but don't know if I would be happy with the mono sound. :no clue: TIA
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mfeust
            I'm not sure if I have ever heard a mono recording on my system? How is the soundstage layed out on a mono recording? Is everything equal L and R channels so everything summed to center? Vocals center and some instruments L channel and some R channel? Does it sound natural if all I have heard is stereo? Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in getting one of the box sets, but don't know if I would be happy with the mono sound. :no clue: TIA
            Part of the Tone Audio review quoted below. Full review is here

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/page/2/

As previously mentioned, every Beatles album through The White Album was mixed with the purpose of being heard in mono. Capitol’s remasters mark the initial occasion of Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night, and Beatles for Sale being available on disc in a stereo mix; the converse is true for Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, and The Beatles. Finally, the mono editions of Help! and Rubber Soul also include the original stereo mix, which makes comparison listening that much easier.

Without diminishing the value and impact of the stereo editions, which blow away their 1987 digital predecessors in every imaginable facet, the mono discs are where it’s at for experiencing the Beatles in the most “authentic” manner. (Officially, no compression or de-noising was used on the mono mixes; a sum total of less than five minutes of de-noising graces the stereo editions.) Specifically, the group’s early records tend to sound unnatural in stereo, as the hard panning seems forced and artificial—which, in actuality, it is. In mono, the Beatles’ music thrives from ultra-dynamic front-to-back layering that, intentionally or not, often gives the impression of a stereo mix. The changes wrought by the remasters are dramatic.

Comment

Working...
            X