Quad Core PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Core PCs

I was thinking of getting a quad core PC but I have not kept up with this stuff (odd since I work in IT but not tons with PCs anymore). So I was looking for recommendations. I only need the MB/CPU/Video Card/Memory. I want to keep the costs down as much as possible.

The last thing I bought is the MSI Atom setup - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856167032. This was to run Freenas on but as of right now I am running windows 7 on it.

Which vendor - Intel or AMD?

If Intel, which generation - the Core 2 or the newer Core i7? Also understand that the release of the Core i5 is imminent.

You can build a Core 2 system cheaper - mostly due to the very low prices of the DDR2 memory they use. As these systems get phased out, though, you wouldn't be able to reuse that memory in a newer system as they require DDR3.

Why quad-core anyway? What is it you intend to run on this? Video and photo work do benefit from the quad but not a whole lot else has been done to really exploit it. Don't get me wrong, I run a quad and have *nothing* that exploits it right now as I'm still running Windows but once I build my next box I will re-image the old one with VMWare and Linux.

When building any computer system the really key thing to have answered up front is "what will this be used for?".

Comment

I agree. I run a quad core, but I really don't need it. A faster duo core for less money would probably work better for you. Or an extreme duo if you are a gamer.

But it depends on what you will be using it for.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

I have a Q6600 @ 3.0gHz. I love it for compression jobs and other very CPU intensive things! But, most people would be better served with a faster dual core than a quad.
        With a shovel...

Comment

I've always liked Tomshardware.com for interesting articles including those that performance test various processors using a ton of different metrics. I'd head on over there for some pertinent info.

Comment

Photo editing(CS4 etc) and multiple VMware sessions for testing and playing with other OS(s) reason for thinking quad. I run a dual core at work and push it to its limits with just vmware sessions for testing stuff plus running all my daily software for monitoring stuff.

Comment

If noise is a concern check out
              http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Comment

Silent isn't that important.

Comment

I haven't been able to reuse my memory in years, though it used to be a motivating factor back in the day. One could easially use 4 processors in a dual monitor environment but typicaly a faster processor is better than multiple cores. Now if you can afford both....

You'll probably want a core i7, 3 sticks of 2gig each memory (6 gig total). If you aren't a gamer then really any video card will do. I would take a long look at the drivers and make sure they are available for the OSes you'll be running. I usually go with ASUS motherboards but gigabyte and MSI are fine too. Just look around newegg and see what they currently have on sale that is of good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by cburbs
                    Silent isn't that important.
                    It is after you've had a PC that's actually quiet. Every time I build a new PC, which admittedly is pretty rare these days, it's quieter than the one before it.
                    With a shovel...

Comment

I'd love a quiet one, mine is brutally loud...

Comment

Here is a vote for i7. I have a Core i7 920 overclocked to 4GHz and it does great for video work. I recently ripped about 300 DVDs to x264 and each disc took about 20-25 mins. This was WAY faster than the other system I was using which was a slower AMD phenom quad core.

Granted, its not cheap, but if you do a lot of video work, I think its worth it.

Comment

I picked up an i7 920 Dell XPS for under $600 two months ago (refurb from the Outlet). It's amazingly fast with video and audio encoding. I finally finished encoding all of my home movies since it was no longer a chore to do.

Comment

I'm running WIN7 RC, 32 bit on my re-purposed older htpc, really like it.

I just read an article about building a quad core pc for Win 7, it made the point the AMD chips will give you as much performance as Intel equivalents, for less money. If you're not looking for ultra-cutting edge that is, just to take advantage of the fact WIN 7 likes quad cores, then the recommendation was for;

ASUS MOTHERBOARD M4A78T-E AMD SOCKET AM3 DDR3, and,
                            AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz.

Maximize performance of WIN 7 while saving a little cash.

All my builds to date have been Intel cpus, but I think I'll try this with WIN 7 64bit Professional.
                            There's a fine line between gardening and Madness.
                            -Cliff Clavin

Comment

Bringing this thread back to life as I am relooking at doing this.

Some MBs I am looking at due to price -
                              AMD
                              Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
                              Asus M4N78 PRO Motherboard

Intel
                              GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R - More expensive to build.

Comment

Working...
                              X