Math Problem Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math Problem Help

Maybe someone can help me out with this one...

9.5% * X = 14,273,000
    9.4% * Y = 14,500,000

90.5% * X = 90.6% * Y + 422,000

X > 0
    Y > 0

For the life of me I can't seem to find a solution. Help! :begging:
    With a shovel...

Are you sure you have the problem correct? The first 2 equations give definitive single solutions for x and y. They do not satisfy the third equation, so one must be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
      Are you sure you have the problem correct? The first 2 equations give definitive single solutions for x and y. They do not satisfy the third equation, so one must be wrong.
      Yeah, what M-Fine said.

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine
        They must be right. The Federal Gov't doesn't lie to us about unemployment figures right? :shiftyeyes:
        With a shovel...

Comment

It's not a lie if they can't do the math to begin with.

Comment

So then, I am assuming this is about the unemployment rate, which, while better, is still terribad. What quote or exerpt are you pulling these numbers from? Could you link it or do a copy-pasta?

Comment

I don't follow your formula statements. Percentages are a percent OF something. So in the first statement, for example, what is the 9.5% OF? Or, as I suspect, is the intent to say that 9.5% OF X is equal to 14,273,000?

If that's the case then the statement would be X * 0.095 = 14,273,000. Similarly the second statement would then be Y * 0.094 = 14,500,000.

Determining the values of our variables would then be as simple as:
              X = 14,273,000 / 0.095 ~= 150,242,105.26
              Y = 14,500,000 / 0.094 ~= 154,255,319.15

Applying the same (implied) percentage logic to the 3rd equation gives us:
              X * 0.905 = Y * .906 + 422,000
              OR
              14,273,000 * 0.905 = 14,500,000 * 0.906 + 422,000
              OR
              12,917,065 = 13,137,000 + 422,000
              OR
              12,917,065 = 13,559,000
              which is clearly false.

So at least one of these statements is false.

But then, again, I freely admit to probably misunderstanding the formulae as laid out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fancypants
                So then, I am assuming this is about the unemployment rate, which, while better, is still terribad. What quote or exerpt are you pulling these numbers from? Could you link it or do a copy-pasta?

oh i want some copy-pasta. Is lower in carbs and calories than the original?:poke:

Comment

I'm not sure what the point of this exercise is, other than being snarky, but those numbers do work out. Surely someone had a science class in college or high school where they emphaized significant figures.

Karl does the math right, but he has way to many significant figures.

X = 14,273,000 / 0.095 = 150,000,000
                  Y = 14,500,000 / 0.094 = 150,000,000

136,000,000 = 136,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by Stereodude
                    They must be right. The Federal Gov't doesn't lie to us about unemployment figures right? :shiftyeyes:
                    There are other indicators which indicate the present difficulties like hours worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Wadsworth
                      I'm not sure what the point of this exercise is, other than being snarky, but those numbers do work out. Surely someone had a science class in college or high school where they emphaized significant figures.

Grade school, actually. As I said - I don't know what the intent of the statements was; the numbers are accurate. Absent any context I have no idea of knowing what should or shouldn't be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fancypants
                        Well, I went from a Reuters story which indicated despite 227k addition people losing their job in July the unemployment rate went down to 9.4% in July from 9.5% in June. It also said that labor force shrunk by 422k people June to July. link

Then I referenced another story on Foxnews.com which gave a number for unemployed in July. It said there were 14.5 million people unemployed as of July. link

So, I guess I made a mistake in there before...

It should be:

.095*X = 14,273,000 (June)
                        .094*Y = 14,500,000 (July)
                        X = Y - 442,000

Either way, all three things can't be true. Even if we assume there was some rounding and 9.5% unemployment was really 9.45% in June and they had to round up to 9.5%, and we assume that 9.4% is really 9.449% in July and they were able to round that down to 9.4% that still leaves a workforce change of 2.4 Million people, not the reported 442k people.
                        With a shovel...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Wadsworth

Sure, but that is straight up dishonesty, not a lesson in sig figs. See my previous post which addresses potential error due to rounding the unemployment number to a single decimal place. It still doesn't explain the figures.
                          With a shovel...

Comment

I thought it was a health insurance question at first blush. :dizzy:

I suspect the difference is in the definition. For example one data set discards individuals whose insurance benefits have expired. The other data set continues to track those whose benefits have expired and are still looking for work.
                            "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

yea but wait till more people start collecting unemployment, just about everyone that got layed off 4 months ago from GM will soon start collecting/filling for it( cant file till severance pay is over) oh and they have another BIG ROUND of layoffs coming so even more people
                              Kevin
                              Motor City Custom Audio
                              Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
                              Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

Working...
                              X