How much does adding an Amp Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does adding an Amp Help?

Like the title says... How much does it help speakers "sing"? I have the RS850s in my HT that I use for stereo music, but I typically have to turn the receiver up to -20db to hear everything (I listen to 90% classical). For some reason, I have a feeling that I'm straining the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR876). Would adding an amp help the sound project out more?

I debated whether to stick this in the Loudspeakers or the Electronics section, but I think this is more of a loudspeaker question...

Thanks!

Ouch, that is an expensive receiver. I don't have any experience with that high end of a receiver, but I can say the difference between a midfi receiver and an external amp is night and day.

Comment

CD's aren't all recorded at the same level. Classical music is usually recorded with a much higher dynamic range than other genres. I just checked my library on J. River Media Center and my classical music is 7-17 dB quieter at the same volume setting than other music. Just turn up the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by mojave
        CD's aren't all recorded at the same level. Classical music is usually recorded with a much higher dynamic range than other genres. I just checked my library on J. River Media Center and my classical music is 7-17 dB quieter at the same volume setting than other music. Just turn up the volume.
        Yeah, I find that to be very true...

Can I get a clarification? If I add an external amp, would that mean that when the receiver is set to -20db WITH an amp, it would be louder than having it set to -20db WITHOUT an amp?

Comment

That would depend on the gain of the amp which doesn't have anything to do with the quality of amplification. If you are just having to turn it up louder that is no big deal.
          Originally posted by blackzarg

Can I get a clarification? If I add an external amp, would that mean that when the receiver is set to -20db WITH an amp, it would be louder than having it set to -20db WITHOUT an amp?

Comment

Originally posted by blackzarg

In theory, no, because you should be calibrating your system to the same reference level you were calibrating to before you added the external amp. You will likely find that your channel trims are lower after adding an external amp, though.

Comment

Since we are on this subject....

....let's say I only have one system for HT/2 channel... would I benefit from adding an amp just for 2 (actually it would be 2.1) channel listening??? Much more music than HT and an older lo/mid grade HK AVR

Comment

Originally posted by rumonkey2
                ....let's say I only have one system for HT/2 channel... would I benefit from adding an amp just for 2 (actually it would be 2.1) channel listening??? Much more music than HT and an older lo/mid grade HK AVR
                Need more information.
                Post your proposed system info.

Comment

I have a Marantz 7002 receive and added a nice 3 channel acurus. What I noticed was that the I heard more detail earlier (read: at lower volumes) and and the sound scaled more gracefully. But I didn't have to really get after it to bring out some of the subtlies. That could be because I'm splitting out the 3 front channels away from the other noise components of the receiver, but I notices a lot more detail in the midrange, and more definition in the lower end.

That was my experience. I went with a nice used amp for 350, which was a nice upgrade for the money...
                  LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                  Subs: 4 x 18.2
                  Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

Originally posted by dguarnaccia
                    I have a Marantz 7002 receive and added a nice 3 channel acurus. What I noticed was that the I heard more detail earlier (read: at lower volumes) and and the sound scaled more gracefully. But I didn't have to really get after it to bring out some of the subtlies. That could be because I'm splitting out the 3 front channels away from the other noise components of the receiver, but I notices a lot more detail in the midrange, and more definition in the lower end.

That was my experience. I went with a nice used amp for 350, which was a nice upgrade for the money...
                    Thats a nice amp.
                    Time waits for no man.

Comment

Yah, it's a nice little amp. It's the Acurus 200x3. Picked it up from a forum member and have really been happy I added the amp. Really a nice upgrade bang for the buck.
                      LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                      Subs: 4 x 18.2
                      Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

AVS Thread

Here is a site at AVS that may help:
                        (un)Official "Should I get an amp" Thread
                        Link

From there:

1) Are your speakers difficult to drive - Typically this means that they are 4 ohm or lower.

2) Are your speakers inefficient - The less efficient your speakers are, the more power they can benefit from

3) Can your speakers hit very low frequencies - IE. bass. For now I'll go with a figure of < 40 hz.

Mike
                        HT Gear (AVS Link)
                        Rk: MA WR-37-32
                        Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
                        Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
                        Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
                        Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
                        BR: Oppo BDP-103
                        Gm: 360 Pro
                        LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
                        S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
                        Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
                        Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
                        Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
                        TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

Comment

I tend to think that most classical cd recordings are not loaded with compression either so that makes a huge difference as opposed to pop music for example which typically has the recorded music maxing out the headroom available and everything 'squashed' multiple times.

Comment

FWIW, I just did an A/B comparison of a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 vs. a Parasound Halo A23 and the difference in sound was significant. I was running a 1V signal into both, everything else in the chain was the same.
                            Wes Miaw, Neko Audio LLC
                            www.NekoAudio.com

Comment

I've long been of the opinion that a good preamp and seperate amp will smoke every receiver out there.

If you find yourself wanting more or better, it's out there, you just have to listen and do your homework and find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X