Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC spyware removal program

Hey all..

Anyone know of some freeware for MACs that can detect and remove spyware and the like? My old IMac G5 has been insanely slow for a long time...much slower than when I first purchased it. Upgraded the RAM on it...made a huge difference for a while...but over time the machine just stopped being able to perform simple tasks in a timely manner.

Anyways...just wondering if it has some spyware slowing it down.

Thanks,

Dave
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Dave,

What's the cap on the HD? And how full it is? Depending on the array the slowness could be caused by the actual drive itself. The wider the array the more likely it is to slow down. If you can I would suggest a reformat to get rid of **** you don't use. I.e. Apps you've only used once and never again. The other suggestion I would make is to grab iDefrag or the like to see if that's what's causing the issue.

Kevin
    "Arguing on the internet is like trying to make sense out of Bupkiss. You just end up looking foolish". ---Craigsub 04.21.2009

Comment

a Virus on a MAC, that isnt possible is it:no clue::biglaugh::ufo:
      Kevin
      Motor City Custom Audio
      Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
      Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

So this is just hypothetical right? :D
        With a shovel...

Comment

Over the last five years I've owned this IMac and three Apple laptops...the laptops were fine within their limits but this IMac has been performing terribly. There apparently was a recall of this particular model that I wasn't notified of (found out about this on Audiocircle as someone else had a thread about their IMac dying). Apple had bad capacitors in their PSUs (think MFW 15 amps) from what people were saying in the thread IIRC. This is just another possibility....spyware exists for MACs, but it's not nearly as common.
          "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

-Bill Watterson

Comment

Have you opened Utilities->Activity Monitor to see what is slow? It will show you CPU and memory usage, which can help you figure out exactly what the problem is.
            Wes Miaw, Neko Audio LLC
            www.NekoAudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by NekoAudio
              Have you opened Utilities->Activity Monitor to see what is slow? It will show you CPU and memory usage, which can help you figure out exactly what the problem is.
              iStat Menus does the same but put it's in the toolbar. Very, very, handy..

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/
              "Arguing on the internet is like trying to make sense out of Bupkiss. You just end up looking foolish". ---Craigsub 04.21.2009

Comment

Originally posted by Sandbagger
                a Virus on a MAC, that isnt possible is it:no clue::biglaugh::ufo:
                While there's no known viruses for Macs, there are user installed Trojans.

Comment

Working...
                X