Bought a new outdoor toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new outdoor toy

Ok, so I bought a ZTR mower. Man this is a cool machine. I have always used lawn and garden tractor mowers and push mowers to mow with in the past. But getting a little aged (51) decided I wanted to mow faster than the 3-5 hours per week it was taking me with the 46" garden and lawn tractor, then had to go mow some spots with the push mower, then finish with trimmer.

I bought a 54" Husqvarna zero turn mower. Kohler 24hp vtwin engine. I mow approx 2 acres around where I live and lots of trees/objects around the house where we live in the country. Since this thing can maneuver so well, turn on a dime, mow faster groundspeed, and a 8" wider deck, my mowing time was 1:45 min to do the same job with ZTR as before, 3-5 hours for the riding mower The variable being how actual tall the grass/weeds are before I get time to mow them. And it will maneuver close enough to stuff now when I get done there isnt too much trim work to do with string trimmer. I used to use the push mower around some of the trees because of all the time it took to turn and make like 3 passes on a tree to cut around it. Now I can mow real close to tree in one circle and go to next.

And it is fun to drive too. Now I just need to figure out some music to listen to while mowing. A friend said he bought some construction type headphones that blocked sound but had audio headphones built into them and used either a cd or shuffle type player to listen while he mowed. I was thinking of putting a 12v cigarette lighter plug on it for juice and maybe using my xm roadie xt while mowing. Now, I need to find some headphones that block outside noise and sound decent. Im thinking the **** type noise cancelling headphones may not work good for this, actually I dont know. I figured this type of headphone may sound quiet, but in reality isnt it loud, just because it has to generate an equally loud sound to cancel an already loud outside sound? Hope that made sense.

I've got some Etymotic in-ear phones. They block outside noise really well and sound pretty good. They might be better than a foam type around the ear model, since it probably will be getting sweat soaked if you're out on the mower.

Comment

Congratulations, Rondar! I bought an Exmark ZTR 3-4 years ago and it cut my mowing time by 40-50%, all while doing a better job on the grass. At a reasonable valuation of my time, it has already paid for the cost differential over a lawn tractor.

I use Shure E2C earbuds (similar to the Etymotic's) and use a pair of earmuffs over the top. The earbuds are only rated at 20-25 dB of sound reduction, which isn't enough while riding a mower to listen to music at safe volumes. But the combination works well.

Comment

+1 Work great for sound isolation and the pair I have sound amazing.
        http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx
        Originally posted by EddieHorton
        I've got some Etymotic in-ear phones. They block outside noise really well and sound pretty good. They might be better than a foam type around the ear model, since it probably will be getting sweat soaked if you're out on the mower.

Comment

Working...
        X