anyone here have the new Apple TV box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here have the new Apple TV box

I am thinking of getting one, my friend got one and put all of his dvds and cds on it and then sold them to a store and made some money after backing them all up of course and putting copies on another hard drive and put in his safe. I have over 1000 DVDs. Storage and cataloging them even with DVDprofiler is getting harder. Would love to just Itunes them all and be done with it......
    Oakie Mike

Mike,

An alternative to consider.

I got an HP MediaSmart Server *EX485) in Feb. I added 3 1 TB drives to it. You can also plug in 1 eSata external and there are 4 USB connections.

I did/am doing what you want to do. I have 400+ movie & concert DVDs and all odf the Stargate & Star Trek TV series DVDs. I am almost done loading everything onto the server. OK, that's the simple version of the storage.

Next was how to play them in my HT. Wireless was disappointing, so I dropeed some CAT6 cble and it's perfect. The big question was what front end to use. The Apple TV is great for iTunes/music, but linited for video. After way too much research, I ended up with a Popcorn Hour A-110 because, from a video perspective, it plays just about everything (BTW - only so-so fror music functionality).

I put some software on it called YAMJ to act as a super nice GUI that organizes and shows the DVDs by poster/cover art (alphabetical, genre sorting) and added a skin called 5150 that takes you to a second page after clicking on the DVD and gives you all the info it scrapes from the IMDB (plot, rating, cast - the list goes on).

MIght be worthwhile to Google the stuff. Especially, search for YAMJ and 5150 so you can see the visual impact.
    Ray

Comment

Working...
    X