Piano music suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano music suggestions

Piano, any style, good sounding recordings. Recommendations please. :thumbsup:

Norah Jones
    Time waits for no man.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
      Piano, any style, good sounding recordings. Recommendations please. :thumbsup:
      Chopsticks.:stirthepot:
      Lance
      _________
      Whatever

Comment

Bill Evans -Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Waltz For Debby 1961
        McCoy Tyner
        Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
        Brad Mehldau -The Art of the Trio(5 vols)
        Oscar Peterson -We Get Requests
        Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Comment

Do you just do these lists off of the top of your head?

Originally posted by paulfess
          Bill Evans -Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Waltz For Debby 1961
          McCoy Tyner
          Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
          Brad Mehldau -The Art of the Trio(5 vols)
          Oscar Peterson -We Get Requests
          Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Comment

Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #1, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
            Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #2, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
            Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #3, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
            Mussorskgy: Pictures at an Exhibition, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
            Better living through Audio Nirvana!

Comment

I thought perhaps by the title you were looking for sheet music to play....

One of my fav's is Maple Leaf Rag, but is too difficult for my skill level...maybe when I was in middle school at the peak of my piano playing days.
              Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

If you're looking for a bit of jazz, I love the live album from Stan Getz and Kenny Barron - People Time. It's a sax/piano duet which equally features both artists. Getz played like he knew it would be his final album, and Kenny Barron was equally impressive as a one man rhythm section and soloist.

http://www.amazon.com/People-Time-St.../dp/B0000046JY

Comment

Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op.13 ("Pathetique")
                  Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58
                  Works by Craig Armstrong ("Glasgow Love Theme")
                  Works by Vienna Teng (Piano + Vocal) ("Say Uncle", "Lullaby for a Stormy Night")

Most of those are songs that'll make you warm and fuzzy =)

Comment

Definitely Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz if you can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
                      Do you just do these lists off of the top of your head?
                      Yes and no.
                      The artists are my favorites, but I have my entire LP and Cd collection ripped as FLAC and catalogued in OrangeCD by genre, instrument, artist, album and year, so in seconds I can list all my piano albums
                      Paul
                      :)
                      Attached Files

Comment

django do you want pure piano?? im a pure piano guy... one of my favorite piano albums is "Christopher O riley - true love waits (christopher o riley plays radiohead)"

a very raw piano performance (and probably pretty well known) is "gonzales - solo piano"

some not so pure piano is yann tiersen who does a lot of soundtracks with slight ambience added to the piano, but its still very emotional piano pieces imo

edit: another one thats pretty good is aphex twin - drukgqs (spelling im not sure of..). Yeah its aphex twin but apparently he can do piano also and do it well..

Comment

For something cool, besides the music, look into the Zenph Re-Performance of Glenn Gould's 1955 performance of J.S Bach - The Goldberg Variations. There are some MP3 downloads on the linked page.

Check out their store for more piano "re-performances".
                          "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                            Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #1, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
                            Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #2, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
                            Rachmoninoff: Piano Concerto #3, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
                            Mussorskgy: Pictures at an Exhibition, Byron Janis on Mercury Living Presence SACD
                            Great choices!
                            Apparently you just got hypothetically banned by the unnamed new mods for the AV123.com forum that are working to clean the forums up on a forum that is currently closed. Sucks to be you :bite me:

Comment

Two that would be "must haves" to me in the jazz piano genre would be....

Professor Longhair Anthology......A good overall view of his work. New Orleans "boogie-woogie" style. Professor Longhair (Fess) was THE master of the genre. Plus, it's a fun listen.

Although way more prolific, and different, Oscar Peterson took traditional jazz piano to heights not known. Lots of his music available, but OSCAR IN PARIS is as good a starting point as any. Plus, it's well recorded and is a great Telarc disc.
                              Attached Files
                              About a pubic hair away from being banned!

Comment

Working...
                              X