September in Mexico city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September in Mexico city

I'm thinking about what to do for a week's vacation in September. I don't necessarily want to go for a beachfront all inclusive thing ( and it's hurricane season). Would Mexico city be interesting? Safe? Infernally hot? I'd consider other cities if they are of interest and the flight is fairly direct...

Man if I go to Mexico I have to take a week off after I get back on my own dime. Swine fear.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Comment

I forgot about that. It should be over by then...

Comment

Drive from San Francisco after a couple nights there, through wine country and stay in B&B, and then towards Sacramento and camp in the Redwoods...Mexico City isn't all that great IMO
        "Let the floating wall float" - m-fine

Comment

US= the only country that might turn me back at the border. Not an interesting way to plan a vacation...

Comment

Originally posted by django1
            I'm thinking about what to do for a week's vacation in September. I don't necessarily want to go for a beachfront all inclusive thing ( and it's hurricane season). Would Mexico city be interesting? Safe? Infernally hot? I'd consider other cities if they are of interest and the flight is fairly direct...
            Although Mexico is loaded with very ancient an interesting history, oh yea and the ladies are PRrrrety, unless your with someone then the ladies are
            still PRrrety
            I wouldn't do it at this point in time, my mother has a cousin there who shows us around the country when we travel to Mexico and he says to hold off for now.
            Oh and he is a Federally.

Comment

Originally posted by django1
              US= the only country that might turn me back at the border. Not an interesting way to plan a vacation...
              LOL...been to the Caymans? Costa Rica is also pretty excellent, and more than just beach...
              "Let the floating wall float" - m-fine

Comment

Originally posted by arthurs
                LOL...been to the Caymans? Costa Rica is also pretty excellent, and more than just beach...
                of all the countries and places I have been, mexico city right now isnt even on the map. And this is from someone that spent a month in tanzania africa 2yrs ago, a month in Europe and while in the navy almost a dozen asian countries.

I did almost go to guatamala last november for 2 weeks but just didnt have the money.

Fly down and see Santi? that would be a lot more fun
                Kevin
                Motor City Custom Audio
                Your Onix and MELODY Dealer for MI,IN,IL,MO,IA,MN,WI and Canada
                Bringing you Chopped/Cut/Modified Subwoofer Kits and even Flames if you want

Comment

I've done work at the Papolote Museo (children's museum) in Mexico City. Probably been there at least a half dozen time for extended stays. Even the locals don't recommend hanging out in the city. That said, some places to see if you go....Zona Rosa, Chaputepec, the area around Alameda and Zocalo. Truth is, it's a very interesting city, with lots of history, museums, architecture, and sites. It also happens to be a dangerous city if you're a novice tourist to the area.

I 2nd Costa Rica. Again, a place I've spent time working in. People are genuine. The rain forrest is something to behold. Not sure about the exchange rate right now, but last time I was there (couple of years ago), it was amazing to me what the US $ could buy.

I like to go off the beaten track when I travel. I'm not one to just "hang" near the neighborhoods of the hotel. Asked my hotel doorman for a restaurant recommendation. He gave me several. But, I ended up choosing an Italian restaurant he liked. It happened to be about a 45 minute cab ride. The cabby insisted in waiting for myself and my companion....even though I told him I'd call him back when I needed him.

Four course meal was wonderful...easily the equivalent of a 4 star meal in the states. Service was outstanding. Cost for two (including a bottle of wine)? $40. Put a $10 tip on the table, bringing the total tab to $50. The waitstaff couldn't have been any better and was very appreciative.

Went outside to hail a taxi after spending two hours in the restaurant. Our cabby did indeed wait for us. I thought..."wow, am I going to be gouged as a tourist". Total cab fare, 45 minutes to, and 45 minutes back, including a 2 hour wait time? $15. I gave him $20, and you'd have thought I threw a $100 bill at him.
                  About a pubic hair away from being banned!

Comment

GG, that story about the cab fare reminded me of a story my Dad told me. A couple of years ago, him and my Mom and some friends of theirs went to Cancun for a couple of weeks. At the resort they stayed at, they had a large pool area and wait staff there to bring you drinks. My Dad, being the kind of guy he is, spotted the waiter immediately and called him over. He handed the guy a $50 and told him they'd be there all day drinking, so keep an eye on them and take care of them while they were out there. He said the waiter started actually crying and said "Thank you" about a million times. Dad said for the rest of the week, that guy would run a plate of drinks over every time Dad remotely made eye contact with him. He gave him another $50 before they left. Sadly, that hundred bucks was probably more than that guy made all month. It's a different world outside the good ole' U.S. of A.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieHorton
                      GG, that story about the cab fare reminded me of a story my Dad told me. A couple of years ago, him and my Mom and some friends of theirs went to Cancun for a couple of weeks. At the resort they stayed at, they had a large pool area and wait staff there to bring you drinks. My Dad, being the kind of guy he is, spotted the waiter immediately and called him over. He handed the guy a $50 and told him they'd be there all day drinking, so keep an eye on them and take care of them while they were out there. He said the waiter started actually crying and said "Thank you" about a million times. Dad said for the rest of the week, that guy would run a plate of drinks over every time Dad remotely made eye contact with him. He gave him another $50 before they left. Sadly, that hundred bucks was probably more than that guy made all month. It's a different world outside the good ole' U.S. of A.
                      Eddie....different world outside of the U.S. to be sure.

Took my son on a cruise for his 21st b-day last year. They add a tip to your bill at the end of the cruise (at least mine did). But, I also sought out our room steward be fore we left port (hard to find as they seem to be ghosts). Gave him a "Benjamin". We usually had breakfast on the balcony as opposed to the dining room. Food, coffee, was always hot, with plenty of refills. Fruit was cold and fresh, too. Don't know how the guy did it, but he always seemed to knock on the cabin door just as I was getting ready to call him for something (extra towels, extra ice, extra fruit, etc). Couple of nights we drank some of the liquor we bought in port. It ended up in the ice bucket covered in ice whenever we left the cabin....nice and chilled for when we had a night cap in the room at the end of the (sometimes very late) evening.

Not often, but I do enjoy a cigar every once in a while. The steward even "clipped" the ends of the 6 or so I brought with me and left on the dresser.

Different world, indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by EddieHorton
                        It's a different world outside the good ole' U.S. of A.
                        Being Canadian I'm well aware of that :fryingpan:...

Comment

It's been a very long time since I was in Mexico City. It was definitely one of the best vacations I've ever had, BUT I was staying with a family, and not as a tourist. Big, big difference.

I saw first hand many times where tourists were taken advantage of in different situations.

If you have someone to stay with, or at least hold your hand through pretty much everything you do, I'd say go for it.....otherwise, no.

Cuernavaca was nice.

Oh, and some of the most AMAZING old churches there.
                          Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Jason....that would be cool to stay with a family while vacationing. How'd you pull that off?

One of my favorite places in the world is Vancouver, BC. Just a beautiful, beautiful city. Always stay in a hotel (Kimpton owned) that used to be an apt complex from the 40s. Art deco to the max. BIG room (actually 3 rooms...small kitchenette, little living room, big bedroom)...all connected. Best part is the balcony that overlooked the city.

Very international populace. Nice people everywhere. River running right through the center of the city.

When I think of cities that I wouldn't mind moving to, Vancouver is at or near the top.

Comment

Originally posted by graphicguy
                              Jason....that would be cool to stay with a family while vacationing. How'd you pull that off?
                              Our high school had an exchange program with a private school in Tlalnepantla. One year their English class would come up and stay with host families for their spring break, and the next year our Spanish class would go do the same down there.

I contacted the principal of their high school to see if one of their students around my age would be interested in hosting me, but for more than 1 week. That same afternoon, I got a call and it was all set up. I was only 18 and had just graduated that May.

I left the first week of July, I think, and had scheduled a 2 week stay. As time went by, I called the airline and extended it for another 2 weeks. Simply awesome trip, and one of my most if not the most memorable trip I've ever had.

Sadly, I've lost contact with Juan Luis and his family over the years. I learned more Spanish in that month than I did in a year of class.
                              Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Working...
                              X