JazzFest suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JazzFest suggestions please

I decided I should partake of the Jazz Fest this year. I just ordered tix for Melody Gardot. Other than that what must I see at the upcoming Montreal Jazz Festival ? List of artists: http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/arti...cert-soon.aspx
    Of course, you are all invited and the first round is on me :huge:... Really it's a great event with a gazillion free shows and a bazillion spectators in a nice, safe environment. Exchange rate is very favorable to you guys right now...

BTW I'll get max, tickets to two other shows...

Wynton Marsalis for sure.....but I'm a trumpet player.
    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Stephen, if you are into the Blues at all and haven't seen Buddy Guy please do so. Legendary performer whom Hendrix stole lots of his act from. As a bonus Susan Tedeschi is on the bill with him. Great female blues artist. Doesn't quite have Melody Gardot's voice, but very good and lots of fun.
      As it turns out, I was never banned. I was wrong yet again. First Obama, now this. :)

Comment

That's a tough list to narrow down to just 2 :fryingpan:

Comment

Originally posted by dweekie
          That's a tough list to narrow down to just 2 :fryingpan:
          That's why I asked for help :salute:...

Comment

What a list...

Very much a personal taste thing when there are that many choices. Check out the recs you get here via Amazon or whatever and try to narrow it down. Also - the festival website allows you some good search options (genre and instrument) so narrow it down by what you like.

My personal choices:
            I would second Buddy Guy - who knows how many chances you'll get to hear him again. I would also consider Bill Evans. I heard both when they were in their prime and would want to hear them again.

Nicholas Payton. Heard him play in a little jazz club in New Orleans about 15 years ago. Excellent player. Part of the "Tribute to Miles" which sounds worth hearing.

I'd like to hear Madeleine Peyroux.

Good luck!!

Comment

Brian Blade, Brian Blade, Brian Blade!

Awesome drummer...not sure if he will be doing his own thing or playing with other bands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Blade

Comment

Eliane Elias - If you like Bossa Nova
                Esperanza Spalding - great young female bassist
                Bill Frisell - eclectic guitarist ranges from Americana to free jazz
                Pat Metheny - nuff said

Comment

Incredible line-up Stephen!

Would LOVE to book a flight up for this festival. Will need to look at the itinerary for early July. :begging:

Comment

Originally posted by SetterP
                    Incredible line-up Stephen!

Would LOVE to book a flight up for this festival. Will need to look at the itinerary for early July. :begging:
                    It'd be a pleasure meeting you Patrick! Let me know if I can help out with anything...

Comment

Esperanza Spalding, she's hot :jiggy: Sorry, didn't have anything useful to contribute...:shiftyeyes:

Comment

As others have said, there is an incredible line up of artists.

At the top of my list, I would highly recommend two because they will provide you with excellent performances and don't tour much -
                        Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra
                        Sadao Watanabe

Adding to those, I would also want to see these because they like performing live -
                        Hiromi
                        Patricia Barber
                        Kenny Werner Quintet
                        The Bad Plus

Lastly, is Esperanza Spalding, because I heard her on the Marilyn McPartland Show via NPR and she did an outstanding job. I also have here CD.

Have fun!

Lou

Comment

Got some Marsalis tickets. Now maybe just one more. Buddy Guy would have been great but the concert is past my bedtime and in a bar :dizzy:... a really big bar...

Comment

Some interesting suggestions. I would have tried Hiromi or Spalding but the concerts started at 10:30 which is a little late for this old canuck. So I went with Patricia Barber. To resume, I'll be seeing Marsalis and then Gardot the next evening and Barber the next week:cloud9: Thanks for the help everyone...

Originally posted by laserman
                            As others have said, there is an incredible line up of artists.

At the top of my list, I would highly recommend two because they will provide you with excellent performances and don't tour much -
                            Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra
                            Sadao Watanabe

Adding to those, I would also want to see these because they like performing live -
                            Hiromi
                            Patricia Barber
                            Kenny Werner Quintet
                            The Bad Plus

Lastly, is Esperanza Spalding, because I heard her on the Marilyn McPartland Show via NPR and she did an outstanding job. I also have here CD.

Have fun!

Lou

Comment

Originally posted by django1
                              Got some Marsalis tickets. Now maybe just one more. Buddy Guy would have been great but the concert is past my bedtime and in a bar :dizzy:... a really big bar...
                              Woohoo!!! Congrat's...he's one of my fav's.:woo:
                              Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Working...
                              X