Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolby Pro Logic IIz... cool or gimmicky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby Pro Logic IIz... cool or gimmicky?

I was reading Stereophile's write-up on the new Dolby Pro Logic IIz stuff and I have to admit I'm intruiged. Anyone heard it yet?

Originally posted by madpoet
    I was reading Stereophile's write-up on the new Dolby Pro Logic IIz stuff and I have to admit I'm intruiged. Anyone heard it yet?
    Never heard it or of it. I tend to despise all sound formats except dolby digital, DTS, and the new bluray formats however. Hopefully the IIz doesn't suck.
    Time waits for no man.

Comment

From the Dolby website, it reminds me of the ambience channels on older Yammy avr's...
      Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Jethro, basically you put two small speakers above your L/R mains to give a sense of height to the sound. But it uses some new Z axis processing. I am a big fan of DPLIIx for instance, so I'm really interested to know if this works. Given the height of my ceilings though I don't know what it would gain me.

Comment

Jethro, basically you put two small speakers above your L/R mains to give a sense of height to the sound. But it uses some new Z axis processing. I am a big fan of DPLIIx for instance, so I'm really interested to know if this works. Given the height of my ceilings though I don't know what it would gain me.
          An excuse to upgrade? :scratchchin:

Comment

Sounds lame. Why would you want to do this ?
            Time waits for no man.

Comment

I'm interested to hear it. The Old Yammies ambiance channels actually provided a nice sense of space. I think it could be beneficial but I tend to loathe having to dilute my speaker budget to buy more speakers. Quality trumps quantity and yet they keep pushing quantity.

Comment

There was some sound format that a studio introduced for 1 movie, where a ceiling speaker was involved to allow a plane to fly overhead, but all I could find was 10.2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surroun...annel_Surround

In any case, I'm not surprised they want more speakers.

Comment

The Sound and Vision review was actually very positive. They said for instance in Ratatouille in the rain storm it gave a real sense of space to the storm.

Comment

I like DPLIIx myself for movies, but I don't have much room above my LS-6's for other speakers. Plus then you would need a 9 channel amp!

Comment

Yeah, the new Onkyos like the 607 are 9 channels! Crazy stuff.

Comment

See cnet's preliminary review of PLIIz.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10220826-47.html

What amazes me is that the Dolby PLIIz is designed to add spatiousness, and yet their illustrations show a setup that keeps all of 7 channel speakers (before the 'z' speakers) on the same horizontal plane. Now I know not everyone can do this, but I think you'd be better off raising the height of the side and rear surrounds to 30" above your ear level like you're supposed to.

Comment

Yeah... I'm not so sure how I feel about the validity of his review. The Sound and Vision details were much more thorough. Oh well ;)

Comment

I always take Cnets reviews with a grain of salt. Sometimes they are helpful and sometimes they are not; this was definitely one that was not. It really doesn't help that we know nothing about the review system.

Comment

Working...
                            X