Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a Chrysalis, anyway?

Our house is full of butterflies!

Well--okay, maybe that's stretching it a bit far ... :) But we are raising four butterflies in our kitchen! After missing three of the four caterpillars turn into chrysalids, we turned on our video camera to try and catch the fourth's transformation overnight.. and we got it! I've snipped down the crucial approx. 4 minutes that most of the transformation took place, and sped it up to 2x the normal speed so that you can better "see" the shedding of the skin.. It's WAY cool.. I have a much longer normal-speed version that I'm going to upload later.. Even after this video ends and the transformation is "complete," there is still a LOT of twitching and squirming that the little guy does.. Pretty strange to watch.

I converted the video to black-and-white because it's easier to watch than the 'green mode' that it was originally shot in (video was taken in the dark using "night mode," aka infrared illumination)..

Technical mumbo-jumbo side-note: This is my first attempt at using Microsoft Movie Maker, as well as a IEEE-1394 FireWire cable connection between the MiniDV camcorder and the laptop. I tried a couple days earlier using a USB connection but the quality was quite lacking. Of course it was only 3MB/minute. The Firewire video took 178MB/minute. (59x more!)

Video can be seen below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo_GVUfUnvQ

enjoy!
    ..dane

ps.- if you're really interested in this, there are some better videos of this available elsewhere online.. but this was "our" little guy, so it's pretty cool to us .. :)
    (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
    "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
    d&k's webpage

Good job.

Here"s a cool butterfly poster.
    http://www.butterflyalphabet.com/pos...tion=view&id=1

Comment

that's pretty cool..
      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
      d&k's webpage

Comment

Ok, that was different.

Comment

I don't know... The attached pic sure looks like a dog's head starin' at me... Miniature alien dog emerging from it's miniature alien pod... That's what I think!
          Attached Files
          dragged down by the the stone

Comment

definitely alien looking... though since there is no scale to the video (quarter, etc), who says it has to be miniature? :D

..dane
            d&k's webpage

Comment

Originally posted by dane
              definitely alien looking... though since there is no scale to the video (quarter, etc), who says it has to be miniature? :D

..dane

An admission... You're harboring full-size alien dog-head-type-things!
              dragged down by the the stone

Comment

As a second grade teacher we do life cycles as part of our science and I get caterpillars every year and we watch them change into butterflies. You can get them at insectlore.com

Comment

yup, that's where we got ours (I listed their site on my youtube video 'description') ... turns out our daughter's preschool class also got them.. :)

You can even get them year-round-- you don't have to wait for springtime. (Just might need to keep them indoors if it's too cold outside)

..dane
                  d&k's webpage

Comment

Working...
                  X