'09 Mustang Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 Mustang Advice

I'm thinking about getting my daughter an entry level Mustang for graduation. It looks like the new 09 I am looking at can be bought for about 20K out the door. That seems pretty reasonable to me. It is black and the only option is the automatic tranny. Except for that, everything else is basic. I would like to get the Shaker 500 audio as she is as much a music nut as I am, but I don't think I want to end up over 20K.
    Any thoughts?
    I like the new Camaros a lot too, but I'm guessing they will be quite a bit more. :(
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Can you wait till the camaro is out? The mustang might get a littler cheaper once it is out. Also, on the audio setup, the shaker system is probably a $1000 option or so. You might check into just getting a good deck and speakers put in at that price aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty
      I like the new Camaros a lot too, but I'm guessing they will be quite a bit more. :(
      Negative. Less than $100/month more. ;)

Camaro LS with automatic is about $24K MSRP and isn't a stripper. Base engine is a world-class 3.6l 304 horsepower V-6. Auto is a 6-speed. Independent rear suspension. 0-60 around six seconds flat. The quarter is a couple of ticks above 14 seconds at almost 100 mph. Good brakes (60-0 in about 106 feet). 29MPG Highway. Quiet. Nice ride. [EDIT: has OnStar.] Downsides: Really small back seat. Tiny trunk. Poor outward visibility.

Here's USA Today's recent road test. He's the **only** reviewer I've seen gripe about the ride, most are quite impressed.

Stewart

PS: Don't forget the 2010 Mustang is an all-new generation, so that 2009 is old-news now. :D

EDIT: All joking aside, the 2009 Mustang doesn't offer Electronic Stability Control (which I would consider mandatory for the intended), and ABS is optional. I also doubt you're going to get a 2009 Mustang with the Shaker 500 package out the door for anywhere near $20K now. Maybe later. I use carsdirect.com for my automotive "what ifs". The 2009 Mustang V-6 Premium Coupe with only automatic transmission and ABS as options has a carsdirect price of $21,525 (for my zip). And you have to add TT&L to that. :(
      "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

I've read Chevy pulled out all the stops to build a high quality Camaro. I still miss my '76.

Comment

Originally posted by Christobevii3
          Can you wait till the camaro is out? The mustang might get a littler cheaper once it is out. Also, on the audio setup, the shaker system is probably a $1000 option or so. You might check into just getting a good deck and speakers put in at that price aftermarket.
          I have until May 20th. :yes: I didn't realize the Shaker 500 was that expensive. Is it worth it? She pretty much plugs in one of her iPods. She is never seen without it. :lol: I have put aftermarket units in some of my vehicles but I like the OEM look if the sound is good. My Tundra has a great OEM JBL system, but it is their premium system.

Comment

Originally posted by rsa
            Negative. Less than $100/month more. ;)

Camaro LS with automatic is about $24K MSRP and isn't a stripper. Base engine is a world-class 3.6l 304 horsepower V-6. Auto is a 6-speed. Independent rear suspension. 0-60 around six seconds flat. The quarter is a couple of ticks above 14 seconds at almost 100 mph. Good brakes (60-0 in about 106 feet). 29MPG Highway. Quiet. Nice ride. Downsides: Really small back seat. Tiny trunk. Poor outward visibility.

Here's USA Today's recent road test. He's the **only** reviewer I've seen gripe about the ride, most are quite impressed.

Stewart

PS: Don't forget the 2010 Mustang is an all-new generation, so that 2009 is old-news now. :D
            Boy, I love the look of the Camaro, and yes, I have seen the 2010 Mustang and it looks awesome too. but I have 20K to spend, and am not looking to finance if I don't get out of control. :nervous:

Comment

Boy, I love the look of the Camaro, and yes, I have seen the 2010 Mustang and it looks awesome too. but I have 20K to spend, and am not looking to finance if I don't get out of control. :nervous:
              Understood. I'd look elsewhere then. The 2009 Mustang just has too many safety features missing for my taste (see my edits in my earlier post).

IMHO, the best value around the $20K area is a 2009 Subaru Outback/Legacy 2.5i. cars101.com is a good research site.
              "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."

Comment

Originally posted by rsa
                Understood. I'd look elsewhere then. The 2009 Mustang just has too many safety features missing for my taste (see my edits in my earlier post).

IMHO, the best value around the $20K area is a 2009 Subaru Outback/Legacy 2.5i. cars101.com is a good research site.
                :rolleyes: Jeeze... I was hoping to get some help being talked into it. :biglaugh:

Comment

:rolleyes: Jeeze... I was hoping to get some help being talked into it. :biglaugh:
                  The 2009 Mustang has a $2500 rebate on it now. As you have no trade, buying one at invoice less the rebate should not be difficult.

For a $22K-$25K car, $2500 makes a pretty big difference.

On a $24,310 Premium Coupe, invoice is $23,092. Knock off the $2500, and you are getting pretty close.

Comment

LOL. Sorry 'bout that. :D

I had a black 1985 Mustang GT that I'm still sorry I traded-in. The look of the 2009 Mustang turns my head every time I see one and I absolutely love the interior styling. I see they're available with SYNC, too.

How does your daughter feel about a Mustang? I think one of the most important aspects of the gift like this is to get her a car--within your budget--that she'll be excited about. If the Mustang is one of your daughter's "go to" cars, honestly and without reservation I say go for it! :woo:

Stewart

Comment

I had one of the first of the new design ('05) Mustang GTs when they first hit. Simple cars with modern updates (ABS, airbags, etc). At the time, it was a beast. Rock solid reliability. Sold it last year. I know the '10 models are another redesign. Lots of performance for the buck. I was able to buy mine for "X-plan", which at the time was unheard of. But, back then, the dealer didn't know how popular the new design was going to be (wildly popular). They were selling for "over sticker" for about a year as Ford could not keep up with demand. Of course, that's all changed now.....invoice minus rebate should be an easy target.

I've never driven a base V6 model. For a youngster, probably not a bad choice, except if you live in a climate where you get a lot of snow or rain. Bad weather makes them all but undriveable....especially for a young, less experienced, driver. I'm sure the V6 is better in that regard than the GT. The V6 has less power, probably more "weather friendly" tires.

Still, for $20K it's a lot of car for the buck.

While I've never been one of those "Chevy Vs Ford" kind of guys, I saw the '10 Camaro at the local autoshow this past winter. Gotta say, I came away unimpressed.....at least with the interior (which looked to me like an early '80s throwback). Slap a 'vette engine in one, and those sins can be forgiven pretty quickly. Their V6 comes straight out of the Cadillac CTS.....not too shabby, either. I doubt you'll get anywhere near that $20K price point for one, however.

I know when my son graduated high school, I had made a deal with him. If he got a scholarship to college (he did...a partial one), and he saved up some money from summer jobs (he did....to the tune of $5K), I'd match it and we would go car shopping.

So, he had $10K with my match. We looked at all sorts of used Corollas, Civics, etc (1-2 year old used ones of either aren't much cheaper than a new one). He surprisingly picked a new Hyundai Elantra. It was a base model, but was pretty well loaded up in that trim.....power windows/locks, cruise control, airbags galore, etc. You can't buy one for $10K now, but it's proven to be a great car for him. It's an '04 model. Nothing except routine maintenance, tires, belts, etc. And, it has a great warranty (which is about to run out at 100,000 miles).

You want something a little sportier? The Hyundai Tiberon is something he lusts for, too. For $20K, you can get a nice one. They're all FWD with all the safety stuff.

You can also get a sporty Scion (Toyota) Tc for well under $20K. Another nice car for the price.

Not trying to dissuade you in any way. Buy what you want. It's just that there are lots of options at that price point, or less, that you might want to look at.
                      About a pubic hair away from being banned!

Comment

That's more like it. :D
                        She does like the Mustang a lot, as do we all . My Dad had the first one in town, A '66 289, silver with black interior. We were hot ****. Chloe has a nice '03 Camry now, but by my reckoning, an old ladies car. I would like to get her something with a little more style, reasonable, and American if possible. The Mustang fits that bill. I am seriously considering the Camaro now, but I know it will be more. I actually like the pictures I've seen of the interior, but I haven't seen one in person yet. Our dealer still doesn't have any.
                        Craig, thanks for the info. I have a copy of the sticker the dealer gave me, and it is $21,525, before the $2500.00 rebate, and they indicated they would still negotiate. What do you think. The only option is the automatic transmission.
                        I'm in Tucson, so road conditions are generally very good, but very hot pavement. What do you mean it is a poor performer in inclement weather?
                        Thanks

Comment

I'm in Tucson, so road conditions are generally very good, but very hot pavement. What do you mean it is a poor performer in inclement weather?
                          Thanks
                          Nothing you would really worry about, just pay attention during any monsoons. The live rear axle, rear wheel drive with lots of torque can be a bit much to drive in snow and especially on ice. For rain and such with the V6 she'll be fine.

Those are nice cars, with a lot of style and a bit of history. She should be very happy.

Comment

That's more like it. :D
                            She does like the Mustang a lot, as do we all . My Dad had the first one in town, A '66 289, silver with black interior. We were hot ****. Chloe has a nice '03 Camry now, but by my reckoning, an old ladies car. I would like to get her something with a little more style, reasonable, and American if possible. The Mustang fits that bill. I am seriously considering the Camaro now, but I know it will be more. I actually like the pictures I've seen of the interior, but I haven't seen one in person yet. Our dealer still doesn't have any.
                            Craig, thanks for the info. I have a copy of the sticker the dealer gave me, and it is $21,525, before the $2500.00 rebate, and they indicated they would still negotiate. What do you think. The only option is the automatic transmission.
                            Thanks
                            Lefty....like Snow said, in AZ you really don't have to worry about "bad weather handling" of a Mustang.

Haven't driven an '09, but the set up isn't any different than the '05 I had.

Solid rear axle will have the back end bouncing around and getting a little sideways on rough pavement. It's controllable in a straight line. Go around a corner that has rough patches and it will be a little disconcerting as the back end tends to bounce off whatever track you're pointing the car.

I like the Ford sync feature. If your daughter is an i-pod freak (like my son is), she'll appreciate sync. She'll be able to control her i-pod through the stereo. The Shaker 500 isn't anything to write home about. The Shaker 1000 stereo will rattle your molars, however.

The V6s are corse sounding. They make more noise than power. That may or may not matter to your daughter.

Check on insurance, too. I put my son on my policy when I had the GT. The rate almost doubled. I know it's cheaper for girls, but depending on her age, they'll probably slap you with an increase. When I sold my GT, my insurance went down a bunch. Something about a Mustang combined with young drivers throws insurance companies into a tizzy.

Here are the other ones I mentioned....

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tiburon/tiburon.aspx

You can get the Tiburon for well under $20K.....reliable, sporty, great warranty.

http://www.scion.com/#tC

They don't negotiate on Scions, but you can get one for well under $20K, Toyota reliability, to boot.

Just a few options that your daughter may want to take a look at.
                            About a pubic hair away from being banned!

Comment

You could buy her a really nice home theater for 20K, or a down payment on a Condo. :)

Never bought a new car myself and have 200K miles to go on my '97 Rav 4. :yes:

Comment

Working...
                              X