computer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer help

we have this dell laptop....about 1 year old........couple days ago it automatically tried to download some microsoft upgrade.........when everything was completed it tried to install it........it goes to step 1, 2 and 3.......at step 3 it completes about 50% of install and then the machine automatically shuts down..........it restarts and goes through the cycle again.........never really opening the computer.........it keeps making cycles but goes no where......any idea what the heck is going on........

While the computer is booting, hit F8 a few times and you'll get a menu. Select Start Windows in Safe mode with networking

Allow it to boot up and log into the machine. Open a browser and go to http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html and run their online scan. Remove everything it finds.

Once done, reboot, and see if that solves the issue.
    LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
    Subs: 4 x 18.2
    Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

let me try this........it did give an option to start the machine in safe mode, normal mode, with network and one more thing........i selected safe mode but the machine kept doing the same thing......but i never hit the f8 button .......let me try that and see what happens..........thanks

Comment

ok no luck by pressing f8 and selecting safe mode with networking........now what ??

:crying:

Comment

Originally posted by soundofrockets
          ok no luck by pressing f8 and selecting safe mode with networking........now what ??

:crying:
          Sorry to break the bad news, but looks like you will end up doing a clean install of the windows. I had this happen to me few days back and no matter what I tried nothing worked. I was not able to repair it using windows Vista disk too. It seemed to complain about a patch, which was stopping it to boot.

Finally re-installed windows vista and now everything works fine. Good luck.
          Ref1,Ref100,RS850,450,RSC200 Sig,ELT525M,MFW-15,UFW10,AVR987/X-amps,LMC-1/LPA1,SB3,P-3A,PS3,HDA3, Gizmo v1.0, SP3 MK II.

Comment

I don't get to log on

Comment

I don't get to log on
              Yes. I was getting the same thing. It will start booting up, give me options to boot in safe mode, last known config etc and no matter what I did, it never finished booting. The same screen over and over again.

I even tried my windows vista disks and booted from that, but was not able to repair it.

Finally installed OS using the windows disk. Hope you have windows disk. If not, you will have to restore from the disk partition, which all Dells have with your original software/configuration. It will restore your computer to the state it was shipped from Dell. You will most likely loose any data you may have on it though.
              Ref1,Ref100,RS850,450,RSC200 Sig,ELT525M,MFW-15,UFW10,AVR987/X-amps,LMC-1/LPA1,SB3,P-3A,PS3,HDA3, Gizmo v1.0, SP3 MK II.

Comment

I will have to hunt the disc. They are all lost somewhere in the house.

Comment

I will have to hunt the disc. They are all lost somewhere in the house.
                  Do you have backup? If so, you can restore from that too.

In my case, I didn't loose any data as I had backup and I took this opportunity to do a clean install instead of a complete restore. :)

Comment

First off I feel for you. Second....I'm absolutely NO computer genius. Hell even Quadman can run circles around my computing acumen on his dial up.

But after many, many repeated episodes so excruciatingly similar to what you're describing, I switched to a mac last Nov. Now while the jury is still out somewhat...it has given me absolutely no problems. I've even ventured out and done 'dangerous' stuff like bit torrents...no problemos.

I've never taken a computer course in my life, but I've had to learn more than I wanted to about Windows....just because of troubleshooting.

Without seeing your machine, I'd say you may be looking at a clean install. Another option would be to troubleshoot the HD by installing it on another machine as a slave drive. Then you could at least boot up and run the above mentioned scan.
                    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

How do I get/make a back up?

Comment

ug, I was afraid of that. Sounds like the patch borked your computer. If the repair doesn't work, then I guess you are doing a clean install. Look on the brighht side, you can install the windows 7 beta and play with buggy software..at least you're expectations will be set properly :)
                        LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                        Subs: 4 x 18.2
                        Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

It's a laptop. iMac? What about this one ?

Comment

ok.......i tried to find the disc........but guess what ........no luck.........now what do i do ??

Comment

ok.......i tried to find the disc........but guess what ........no luck.........now what do i do ??
                              Lately most manufacturers don't provide OS disks, but they do have all these software on one partition of the hard disk. You can try to restore from that, but please understand that you will loose your data this way.

If that is OK, turn off the laptop and then start it again. This time press CTRL + F11 and then it should give you restore option. You need to do this even before you start seeing your boot options.

As someone mentioned earlier, you may be able to attach this hard drive to another laptop (if you have an external enclosure or cable/adaptor) to do so. This way you can retrieve your data at least. If you are not in hurry for using this computer, you can try this option.

If you are in hurry and don't mind loosing your data, try restore option I mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                              X