New member seeking opinion on Chane options for new HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member seeking opinion on Chane options for new HT

Hello fellow music lovers. I am new to this forum, but am a lifelong audiophile who would like to get some opinions on Chane speakers for an upcoming HT reno. SInce posts like this can get very long winded, I’ll provide some basic info and ask my questions first and then provide more detailed info to fill in the blanks at the end just for reference if you are so inclined to read. This will pretty much be for HT only as it is not my primary residence and I don’t plan to do much in the way of dedicated 2 channel listening, at least for many years until I retire anyway.

I live in a remote area and do not have any retail stores near me (not even a standard Best Buy). Like everyone else, I get inundated with online ads for Klipsch, Paradigm, SVS, Definitive, etc. and it was in looking into SVS (I bought two of their subs almost 20 years ago when they were just getting started but have never even seen, let alone heard one of their speakers) and came across people talking about Chane audio. I’m very intrigued with what I read and am about to jump onto the Chane bandwagon, at least for audition. The question is which bandwagon should I jump on?

My question for the members are regarding the LCR speaker selection. I plan to place them behind an AT screen. I will build out from the wall to accommodate the speakers behind the screen, but they will still be very close to the wall so a rear port version is essentially out. I was initially looking at the A series but now that I am learning about the 700 and L series, I’m looking at those as well. As a primarily HT use, I’m thinking 700 series might be the best option. I’m prioritizing dynamics and headroom (don’t want to drive speakers into peak distortion), sound stage size, cohesion and accuracy and of course detail. My budget for the three LCR channels combined is around 3k, so both 700 and L series may be in play. Of course less is best. I will also add a pair of the monitors for the front wide channel (9.2).

The three options are I am considering are:
    1. All three channels as towers (I plan for vertical position of the center channel most likely).
    2. Front LR towers (A5.5/753/L7) and a center monitor (6.4/752/L6)
    3. All three channels monitors.

My thoughts for using towers are for maximum dynamic headroom and to be able to run the front channels to a lower crossover point, say 50hz and/or set just them to “Large” in the AVR to see which I prefer. But, since I will be using dual independent subs, towers might not even be necessary or unnecessary overkill in my room. (See the details for the dimension and construction info.)

So what are your opinions and why? Please feel free to ask any questions. I appreciate any thoughts since I have no experience yet with any of these models. I understand that the 700s are new and Ls haven’t been released yet, but you may have experience with the A series or Dana which could prove helpful. Jon has been amazing with PMs but suggested I hear from owners if possible.

Detailed info:

This HT will be converting an existing basement area into a dedicated HT. It will have overall dimensions of 14’6” w by 20’ d with 8’ h ceilings. One wall is sheetrock over cinder block and the other three are standard 2x4 stud and sheetrock. The floor is concrete slab that will be carpeted over. There is a door in the back left corner and another on the rear of the R sidewall. I plan to use a 132” 16:9 acoustically “transparent” screen on the 14’6” wall. There will be two seating rows with the main listening position on the front row and the second row will be infrequently used on the back. The back row will be on an 8” riser. The MLP will be approximately 13’ from the front wall, which means around 11’ from the speaker. I will implement a modicum of acoustic treatment to absorb midrange/highs at the first and second reflections and probably some diffusion on the front and back walls. It will be a full 9.2.x immersive audio layout with 2 aforementioned repurposed subs, repurposed side and rear surrounds and some new but inexpensive in ceiling height speakers. The front end will be one of the new Anthem AVRs or possibly AVPs and outboard Outlaw amps, for at least the front/center channels if I go AVR or of course all the channels if I go AVP.
    Last edited by GaryHunter; 11-17-2020, 05:37 PM.

Sounds like a nice project.

I would guess the A's/L's wouldn't have enough sound to push that space. The focal distance is long enough for the 700 series. To keep costs down I'd probably go with two 753s and one 752 center. I'm not sure there's a benefit for a tower center if it's mostly intended for voice. Depending on timing I might wait until the 2nd gen 700s for that slight bump up in SPL.

Comment

Hey Gary,

That setup sounds very nice indeed, and buying or building room treatments is honestly one of the best things one can do for their dedicated room, or any room with an audio setup for that matter. There should be some 753's hitting homes soon, I have three of the 753 on order but I am in Canada so they haven't shipped yet as the customs situation has to get dealt with before they can ship.

My setup is a 100" AT screen as well in which i built out of maple for the frame and spandex in two layers, the first layer being black and the second layer being grey, I did that for less light leakage and my room is in the basement so I went with grey instead of white as my basement is dark and the grey helps with better blacks. I will attach a link of some pics of my build i did for the wall, screen and projector shelf.

The main reason i wanted to get in on the first run of the 753 is mainly because I no longer have the dual Mach 5 IXL-18 subs since i sold them last winter so I wanted a full range tower as this system is dual purpose for both movies and 2ch use and I prefer to listen with just two speakers so the 753 should be great for that. I have owned the A5rx-c tower and then went to three of the Emotiva T1 and when I seen the 753 I had to have them haha, though i don't have them yet so I can't give any user feedback yet, I do see they are in stock still but it is in red so I'm assuming the stock on them is getting low. I myself believe in going with three towers across the front if you are going with an AT screen, I'm a believer in that since I had my three A5rx-c's from Chane.

Saying what I have so far I do also believe in external amplification especially if wanting to go with a higher SPL in ones room, my first purchase in that regard was two Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocks back in 2010 in which I ran off my then Yamaha RXV-1065 and since then have always had external amps powering my setup and I now own a Outlaw Model 7000X amplifier which i purchased new last January and I love it.

My gear as of right now:

XMC-1 Processor
      Outlaw Model 7000X Amplifier
      NVIDIA Shield Pro
      2020 Mac Mini using Audirvana software for local music and Tidal streaming
      Epson HC3500 Projector
      Emotiva UAC 8.2 ceiliong speakers for rears
      And soon the 753 towers for LCR

I say if budget allows go with the three 753 for LCR for behind the screen, the center speaker is very important for HT use and hearing how good the 752 is I can only imagine the 753 will be better being a three way tower and matching the left and right for sustained dialogue presentation across the front.

Here are some links to my setup :)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/creimes750/T5ciZ3

https://www.flickr.com/gp/creimes750/0sDF7q

https://www.flickr.com/gp/creimes750/27ESfK

https://www.flickr.com/gp/creimes750/1h3E25

Cheers,
      Chad

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
        Depending on timing I might wait until the 2nd gen 700s for that slight bump up in SPL.
        That's a good point. Don't know what the price differential will be that has been alluded too but I'm sure that info will be available. Has there been any info on the max SPL on the 753 that i have just missed? I saw that v.2 will have around 1.5db more maximum capability but not sure what that makes the max capability.

Originally posted by creimes77 View Post
        Hey Gary,

That setup sounds very nice indeed, and buying or building room treatments is honestly one of the best things one can do for their dedicated room, or any room with an audio setup for that matter. There should be some 753's hitting homes soon, I have three of the 753 on order but I am in Canada so they haven't shipped yet as the customs situation has to get dealt with before they can ship.

My setup is a 100" AT screen as well in which i built out of maple for the frame and spandex in two layers, the first layer being black and the second layer being grey, I did that for less light leakage and my room is in the basement so I went with grey instead of white as my basement is dark and the grey helps with better blacks. I will attach a link of some pics of my build i did for the wall, screen and projector shelf.

The main reason i wanted to get in on the first run of the 753 is mainly because I no longer have the dual Mach 5 IXL-18 subs since i sold them last winter so I wanted a full range tower as this system is dual purpose for both movies and 2ch use and I prefer to listen with just two speakers so the 753 should be great for that. I have owned the A5rx-c tower and then went to three of the Emotiva T1 and when I seen the 753 I had to have them haha, though i don't have them yet so I can't give any user feedback yet, I do see they are in stock still but it is in red so I'm assuming the stock on them is getting low. I myself believe in going with three towers across the front if you are going with an AT screen, I'm a believer in that since I had my three A5rx-c's from Chane.

Saying what I have so far I do also believe in external amplification especially if wanting to go with a higher SPL in ones room, my first purchase in that regard was two Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocks back in 2010 in which I ran off my then Yamaha RXV-1065 and since then have always had external amps powering my setup and I now own a Outlaw Model 7000X amplifier which i purchased new last January and I love it.

My gear as of right now:

XMC-1 Processor
        Outlaw Model 7000X Amplifier
        NVIDIA Shield Pro
        2020 Mac Mini using Audirvana software for local music and Tidal streaming
        Epson HC3500 Projector
        Emotiva UAC 8.2 ceiliong speakers for rears
        And soon the 753 towers for LCR

I say if budget allows go with the three 753 for LCR for behind the screen, the center speaker is very important for HT use and hearing how good the 752 is I can only imagine the 753 will be better being a three way tower and matching the left and right for sustained dialogue presentation across the front.

Cheers,
        Chad
        That's an awesome system and thanks for sharing. We have a lot of similarities in our systems and design. I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions when they arrive.

How have you implemented room treatments in your setup?
        Gary

Comment

Second gen 753 and 752 will add a solid 3dB and probably closer to 6dB through a combination of higher sensitivity and higher thermal limits. They'll give up some bass to offer the higher sensitivity so they'll be +subwoofer speakers.

Driver maps and cabinets will be unchanged, although the 752 will be less deep so it'll fit into some places better. No dates just yet. We'll start another thread once we know more.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryHunter View Post

That's an awesome system and thanks for sharing. We have a lot of similarities in our systems and design. I'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions when they arrive.

How have you implemented room treatments in your setup?
            Gary

I have two that sit behind my L & R towers, two on the ceiling between the speakers and my seating position, one on my right wall and two behind my couch, I am currently starting a build for some diffusers as well. I have since removed the small grey one behind my couch from what the photo shows. As far as implementation I just went with first reflection points and at the time the A5rx-c being rear ported I put them between them and the wall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	39900374281_bb868f4d4c_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	117076
            Attached Files
            Last edited by creimes77; 11-18-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
              Second gen 753 and 752 will add a solid 3dB and probably closer to 6dB through a combination of higher sensitivity and higher thermal limits. They'll give up some bass to offer the higher sensitivity so they'll be +subwoofer speakers.

Driver maps and cabinets will be unchanged, although the 752 will be less deep so it'll fit into some places better. No dates just yet. We'll start another thread once we know more.
              Thanks for the clarification and info Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by creimes77 View Post

I have two that sit behind my L & R towers, two on the ceiling between the speakers and my seating position, one on my right wall and two behind my couch, I am currently starting a build for some diffusers as well. I have since removed the small grey one behind my couch from what the photo shows. As far as implementation I just went with first reflection points and at the time the A5rx-c being rear ported I put them between them and the wall.
                What did you use to make the absorbers? Corning 703, Rockwool, foam?

Comment

Originally posted by GaryHunter View Post

What did you use to make the absorbers? Corning 703, Rockwool, foam?
                  I used Roxul SafeNsound batts
                  Last edited by creimes77; 11-20-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X