First time Amp buyer advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time Amp buyer advice.

I just started getting into the Audiophile world and i've been jumping around with the plans I have for my first set of gear. I originally wanted a 3.1 setup ran by a DENON 750h. After doing some research and talking to a few others on the reddit. I've decided to invest into a good amplifier. Some have suggested to buy an amp and then a pre-amp for digital inputs. I did a little research and found the Emotiva TA-100 and IOTAVX SA3. They are integrated amps which fit the description of what I need them to do.

I like the Emotiva because it has a USB input to PC and a Optical for TV. It also has a decent headphone DAC/AMP. Which is great because I just pre-ordered a pair of HD560s. Which would be my first audiophile grade headphones.I plan to buy better headphones down the line. I'm a bit confused on the Emotiva as it does not have a normal sub out connection. Which I do want for a 2.1 setup. I read you can connect two subs to it. I'm just not sure how that would happen.

Now the IotaVX SA-3 sounds promising as well. From the reviews I have seen they say this is just like the Emotiva but a bit better in every aspect. It also has a dedicated sub out. Unfortunately it does not have a USB to PC connection. I believe I can use one of the line outs to connect my PC to the SA-3. I'm just not totally sure as I am new to all these connection types. It does have a optical connection so thats great. Not to mention the 1/4 headphone jack.

Each one has it's pros and cons. Very minor cons and very big pros. I would really appreciate any advice I can get on this matter. Thank you !

Agree with you, the iotavx reviews say it's a notch better than the emotiva as a budget audiophile amp and recently the price came down to make it even more compelling. The iotavx has an old school RS232C cable which should be fine for pc connection. You could pick up an rs232c to usb cable.

Not sure if there are better budget audiophile amps. I recall folks were recently talking about it somewhere in the Chane forum.

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
      Agree with you, the iotavx reviews say it's a notch better than the emotiva as a budget audiophile amp and recently the price came down to make it even more compelling. The iotavx has an old school RS232C cable which should be fine for pc connection. You could pick up an rs232c to usb cable.

Not sure if there are better budget audiophile amps. I recall folks were recently talking about it somewhere in the Chane forum.
      Wow. I saw that connection on the Iotavx and didn't think anything of it. Will I lose audio quality using that type of connection?

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood how you were using it. RS-232 is slow and would choke on today's high bit rate audio digital data. It's pretty much only good for communication, control, and testing between the amp and PC.

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
          Sorry, I misunderstood how you were using it. RS-232 is slow and would choke on today's high bit rate audio digital data. It's pretty much only good for communication, control, and testing between the amp and PC.
          No worries bro.

I did a bit more research on that port. It seems it's for the Bluetooth connector that they offer. Which I could use for my PC. I'm going to be using the receiver for gaming/movies/'music however so i'm not sure if i'll lose out on audio quality this way.

Could I not use the 3.5 to RCA standard connector for the analog inputs? Not sure if BT or the Y splitter would give me a better lagfree audio quality.

Comment

Working...
          X