Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Cables? Help !

Hello guys.

I'm new to the Home Theater / AVR / Audiophile world and will hopefully be picking up a 3.0 set of A2.4s on restock.

What gauge speaker cables should I be looking at? Should I be looking for premium cables or go with DIY Amazon basics + Banana plugs. Someone suggested BlueJeanCables 4S11's to me on a Reddit thread. To get a full set for 3 speakers it's gonna run me about 120-150$. The Amazon basics would be much cheaper.

I read online that people say premium cables make a difference. I also read that people say they don't and are a gimmick. I watched a few videos on cables and could hear the difference between brands on vocals. It was very slight but still noticeable even through the cheapo computer speakers I have. Should I DIY or go premium?

Any advice is welcomed and thanks in advance!

Last edited by ItzMeZelio; 09-22-2020, 06:10 PM.

IMZ - thanks for posting this question. I'm in the same boat as you so I'll be following the responses on this thread.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that use a good 12-14 gauge wire and call it a day. If your runs are extraordinarily long than maybe you'd want to use the Canare. I'd still try to save some $$$ and just wire it myself though. Banana Plugs are easy to terminate.
      If you wanted to spend money on premium cables I wouldn't personally go any "higher" than BlueJeans cables - their product really is top notch. This is only if you have disposable cash and you feel the investment is worth it for that "very slight but still noticeable" difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ward View Post
        I'm of the opinion that use a good 12-14 gauge wire and call it a day. If your runs are extraordinarily long than maybe you'd want to use the Canare. I'd still try to save some $$$ and just wire it myself though. Banana Plugs are easy to terminate.
        If you wanted to spend money on premium cables I wouldn't personally go any "higher" than BlueJeans cables - their product really is top notch. This is only if you have disposable cash and you feel the investment is worth it for that "very slight but still noticeable" difference.
        Right on man. Yeah the runs are going to be short. One eight foot. One six foot and one five foot. I heard good things about BJC. I think i'll ultimately go with Amazon basics + plugs. It'll be fun to make my own cables. Later down the line i'll invest in some Jeans. Thanks for the response !

Comment

KnuKonceptz makes some awesome stuff that you could build yourself, I made some 3' cables with their Karma SS cable, speaker pants and BFA Banana ends, I went overboard and used the 10g cable haha, really no advantage other than it looked really cool as the 10g is very large in diameter.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-thea...speaker-kable/

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...speaker-pants/

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/connectors/

Click image for larger version  Name:	49554804098_3d6fe39580_b.jpg Views:	26 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	116717
          Last edited by creimes77; 10-16-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Very nice. It's curious they opt to twist speaker wire.

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
              Very nice. It's curious they opt to twist speaker wire.
              Twisting conductors into a helix better forces opposing magnetic fields across each other, lowering inductance and extending bandwidth. An example is CAT5 bundling for 100MHz use.

Comment

This is a good topic. My speaker wire is old and could use some freshening.

No doubt the CAT5 spec is at another level of wiring where twisting is mandatory but aside from 4 conductor speaker wire, CAT5 is much different than our typical 2 conductor speaker wire. Last I heard the consensus for speaker wire is there's little value in twisting lower gauge wire for typical short to medium speaker runs. Isn't inductance on the order of 10^-8 H/ft? And 20khz freq bandwidth is relatively small.

Aside from audiophile low power amps, maybe a twisted wire has other benefits for audiophile systems? I can see benefits for low gauge twisted wire use with 4 ohm speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
                  No doubt the CAT5 spec is at another level of wiring where twisting is mandatory but aside from 4 conductor speaker wire, CAT5 is much different than our typical 2 conductor speaker wire. Last I heard the consensus for speaker wire is there's little value in twisting lower gauge wire for typical short to medium speaker runs. Isn't inductance on the order of 10^-8 H/ft? And 20khz freq bandwidth is relatively small.

Aside from audiophile low power amps, maybe a twisted wire has other benefits for audiophile systems? I can see benefits for low gauge twisted wire use with 4 ohm speakers.
                  CAT5 is certainly at another level for another use, but speaker cable theory is short-changed all the time by the familiar assumptions about LCR-only behavior. There's actually a lot more to it and while a twisted pair won't transform 20kHz bandwidth, there's no reason not to be as linear as possibly at least a few octaves higher.

Comment

Had to correct my post to 3' length "oops" haha, they are really nice looking cables and the BFA Banana ends are the best I have owned and have an awesome fit.

Comment

It has a nice clean look. I'll give them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by creimes77 View Post
                        KnuKonceptz makes some awesome stuff that you could build yourself, I made some 3' cables with their Karma SS cable, speaker pants and BFA Banana ends, I went overboard and used the 10g cable haha, really no advantage other than it looked really cool as the 10g is very large in diameter.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-thea...speaker-kable/

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...speaker-pants/

http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/connectors/

Click image for larger version Name:	49554804098_3d6fe39580_b.jpg Views:	26 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	116717
                        Those are some beefy looking cables haha. Thanks for the recommend !

Comment

Originally posted by ItzMeZelio View Post

Those are some beefy looking cables haha. Thanks for the recommend !
                          Yeah those are the 10g cables, they still have a 8g option haha, bigger than the A/C wiring to my amps lol

They do make for nice cables though and easy to build and those BFA Banana ends are really nice.

Comment

Working...
                          X