X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rondar
    DOJ School For Creative Spelling Graduate
    • Jan 2009

Hello, I'm Rondar

Hello: I am 51, married and have a wonderful wife and 3 kids. I work on the family farm here with my father in law and brother in law. I have always had a decent stereo system since being a teen. Nothing high end but like Sansui AU-717 integrated amp and I had some Pioneer HPM-100 and HPM-150's too. I then had a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's and absolutely loved them. I had other equipment of approximately the same caliber, but due to having a family and income not matching, stereo stuff went.

So the last 5 years or so I have been getting back in, and have had a pair of maggy smga for a few years along with an adcom amp and a vaa-l1 line drive tube preamp. Just in the last year or so, I got interested in home theater, and used stereo for sound up until about 2 weeks ago, when I got my Marantz 5003 receiver. Now Im hooked on surround sound. I still use the maggies for fronts, but I picked up a few weeks ago a trio of x-cs speakers from av123 classifieds and use them for center and rears. Also I picked up a set of x-tatics from the "Dont think" sale, and will replace the maggies with those.

I am not very smart on all this new equipment, but the passion is there and I do a lot of reading every night. Anyway, just a few quick sentences I posted here and hope to be "one of the guys" sometime. Thanks.
  • Ray3
    • Feb 2008

Rondar - welcome to the party!
    Ray

Comment

• quadman
      • Mar 2008

Hiya Rondar....

You realize that by being a newbie, you are officially on double secret probation until you have 10 posts. If you happen to mention this to anyone or speak of it openly in the forum, you will be forced to remain there until you hit 25 posts. After that, don't ask it's just not pretty. Otherwise, like Ray says.... kick off your shoes, pull up a chair and relax. Everyone is glad you're here. :applause:

On another note, I've got to admit (from one old fart to another) I got a little chuckle from the title of your thread. I imagined you standing up in front of one of those support groups and introducing yourself.... "Hello, I'm Rondar." With the obligatory "Hello Rondar" coming back at you from the group.
      :crowd:
      John W.
      Indy

Comment

• craigsub
        • Jul 2004

Rondar, I had the 919 version of that same amplifier in 1979. Nice memories !

It's great to have you here !! :yes:

Comment

• rumonkey2
          • Jan 2008

Family farm???

Please tell me it's not a beet farm Rondar...and your last name is not Schrute...
          :raspberry:;);)

Welcome Aboard!! And don't mind me...I'm usually (especially today) just here lighting fires and having fun messing 'round...:lurk:while waiting for those mythical SCAMPs :stirthepot:

Kinda a same story from me. Been "into" audio since my early teens. Gone through many "entry level" type set-ups. Since discovering AV123 some 2(?) years ago, this passion has really been reignited (again, a reference to fire??:scratchchin: That worries even me) Still just a budget/entry system so far. And will always be "budget'" - that's what attracts me to TCA. But, this is the year of serious upgrades and building a dedicated 2 channel system...:rock:

Comment

• Rondar
            DOJ School For Creative Spelling Graduate
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by rumonkey2
            Please tell me it's not a beet farm Rondar...and your last name is not Schrute...
            :raspberry:;);)

Welcome Aboard!! And don't mind me...I'm usually (especially today) just here lighting fires and having fun messing 'round...:lurk:while waiting for those mythical SCAMPs :stirthepot:

Kinda a same story from me. Been "into" audio since my early teens. Gone through many "entry level" type set-ups. Since discovering AV123 some 2(?) years ago, this passion has really been reignited (again, a reference to fire??:scratchchin: That worries even me) Still just a budget/entry system so far. And will always be "budget'" - that's what attracts me to TCA. But, this is the year of serious upgrades and building a dedicated 2 channel system...:rock:

Ummm :crazy: thank god we dont farm beets and Im not Schrute either, although my wife has a few names for me . I cant say them unless I post in adult swim tho.

For us, we farm wheat mainly, with some milo and millet. Speaking of bird seed (millet) a few years ago we contracted "x" number of bushels to a seed company somewhere in indianna or illinois, cant remember for sure now. It ended up that seed (bird food) was cleaned, and packaged and sold to Walmart. So if anybody has been buying bird seed for your pets or backyard feeders from walmart, there was a fair chance you were feeding the seed we raised.

Comment

• ChrisJam
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rondar
              Hello: I am 51, married and have a wonderful wife and 3 kids. I work on the family farm here with my father in law and brother in law.
              Hi,

Welcome!

I'm middle-aged, too. My dad and I aren't farmers, but we have a couple midwest farms. We rent the land to local farmers, growing dent corn and soybeans. Most of the corn is sold to Cargill, so if you drink Coke or Pepsi, you might get some of our corn. I don't know if the local Cargill plant does corn oil. I'll have to check.

My gf and I did 2.0 music/HT for many years. Then we added a sub (phantom center for movies). Soon after that the system grew to 5.1, with speakers made by various companies. That Frankenstein system lasted a good year, and then I ordered a pair of x-statiks, an x-cs-enc (needed a shielded center), and an MFW-15, all in cherry. They arrived last August. Our old bookshelf mains are now our surrounds, and they will be until av123 comes up with something we prefer.

We love our new system, and we've knocked the socks off many friends with a demo--either 2.1 music or 5.1 DVD.

Chris

Comment

Working...