Setup help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup help!

Well I finally got my second UFW-10 back and it sounds fantastic. I am using a Denon 2805 with only 1 sub output. I have the output split and a line run to each sub. Crossover set at 80hz.

What is the best way to set these up:

1.Do I set the gain to the same on both?
    2.Do I set each one up by themselves and then hook them both up?
    3.How do you go about setting the Parametric eq's on each of them?
    4.Should I plug into the LFE port or use a splitter and plug into the L&R ports on the sub's plate amp?

IN other words I don't know how to freaking set these up. Contemplating a Behringer 1124...but will wait for a sweet deal on one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Monkey.. I'm sure others will chime in with even more resources and suggestions, but I only have a moment so I'll make this quick.. This is how *I* go about doing it ...
    1. set both subs' PEQ to off/minimal/whatever..
    2. turn off one sub, and use the normal integration techniques (placement, roomeqwizard, etc) to get the first one done. Don't worry too heavily about the PEQ just yet ...
    3. turn on second sub (keep first one on), using your last sweep (final sweep with only the first sub) as the "baseline" to go about placement of the second sub to get the best response you can without any PEQ ...
    4. you may find that one sub's placement is great on the top end while another is great on the bottom end .... use the internal crossover to limit the "bottom end" sub's frequency response (to reduce interference with the "top end" sub). If you need to keep the "top end" sub out of the "bottom end" sub's response range, you may need to add an in-line high-pass filter (BFD, or just an inline-filter network).
    5. once the basic placement and high/low pass filters are in place, sweep again for a new "baseline"
    6. for each sub's frequency range, begin adjusting it's PEQ values, using roomeqwizard to get new sweeps each time.. if you overlap the two subs frequency ranges, then just pick one to do first ..

Now a note of interest: Since you have TWO subs, you will have interactions that were NOT present before (below the xover's overlap) ... simply because you have two subs 'competing' for the same airspace.. In other words -- peaks and valleys, if not due to ROOM interactions, can be caused by SPEAKER (Subs, in this case) interactions along with the room modes... In still other words -- if you have two subs operating in the same region (20-80hz, for instance), then adjusting the PEQ of one sub at 20Hz may in fact change the interactions at some other (undesired) frequency. Why? Because changing the PEQ to gain/cut response at one frequency inadvertantly affects the phase response of the other frequencies. Changing the phase of a particular frequency will cause it to interact differently of that same frequency being generated by the other sub...

You won't notice massive dips and valleys being created and removed due to PEQ-caused phase changes, but you will notice your sweeps varying in unexpected places when working with your PEQ settings.. ---- at least, I did.

But someone else might come along and tell you that my advice is horrible.. and if there's a better way, I'd like to know it too. :) But the above is the approach that I take with my twin ufw-10's ...

cheers,
    ..dane
    (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
    "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
    d&k's webpage

Comment

[QUOTE=Monkeypimp;14899]Well I finally got my second UFW-10 back and it sounds fantastic. I am using a Denon 2805 with only 1 sub output. I have the output split and a line run to each sub. Crossover set at 80hz.

What is the best way to set these up:

1.Do I set the gain to the same on both?
      2.Do I set each one up by themselves and then hook them both up?
      3.How do you go about setting the Parametric eq's on each of them?
      4.Should I plug into the LFE port or use a splitter and plug into the L&R ports on the sub's plate amp?

IN other words I don't know how to freaking set these up. Contemplating a Behringer 1124...but will wait for a sweet deal on one.

Just sell one to me and its much easier to hook up other by itself :poke:
      Time waits for no man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Just sell one to me and its much easier to hook up other by itself :poke:
        I find it refreshing that ever after so much grief that av123 has caught in recent months about their subs ... people STILL want to buy them.. :)

(No, I'm NOT starting a debate here ... just stating the obvious...)

..dane
        (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
        "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
        d&k's webpage

Comment

Working...
        X